Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
YotaPC? Intel laptop includes secondary e-ink screen

This looks neat:

It has an e-ink screen on the other side of the main display
Quote:
The laptop had a regular screen on one side of the display panel and a gray scale e-ink screen on the other. When it was shut, the e-ink screen could serve as an electronic sticker to read ebooks, images, text messages or news .
Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/26052...pe-laptop.html
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Intel showed off a similar concept in 2007:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...-e-ink-screen/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Intel showed off a similar concept in 2007:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...-e-ink-screen/
2007? The article you linked is from today.

Edit: Oops, I see now it links in there to http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/I...aptop-Displays which is from 2011 about the 2007 event. My bad.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 09-12-2014 at 11:47 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Guess they have been around for a bit. But I think that this is a neat concept.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
2007? The article you linked is from today.

Edit: Oops, I see now it links in there to http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/I...aptop-Displays which is from 2011 about the 2007 event. My bad.
Sorry, that was the link I happened to have ready after writing the post.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yeah back then MS had a technology they were including in Windows called SideShow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_SideShow.

At the time I was working on a number of Eink display SideShow devices. A calendar device to hang on the wall as the family calendar, a "TV GUIDE" tv remote control etc etc. That would all be driven by the remote display SideShow tech.

It wasnt supported much by the major oems, although they showed off alot of ideas they only produced a hand full. there was a lot of interest but consumers didnt seem to go for it. there were only a couple reference design devices to use as a base for my ideas. I found out real quick how hard it would be to design, build and market my devices at a price consumers would find appealing. This was before Kickstarter and indiegogo. There were a few well designed remotes produced for working with windows media center pcs .

MS dropped Sideshow as part of the OS in Win 7 and completely dropped support for any existing gadgets/devices in Win 8

I wonder what they are using to push the info and drive the display? maybe it acts like a standalone tablet with the info just pushed there via an app

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 09-13-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
yeah back then MS had a technology they were including in Windows called SideShow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_SideShow.
At the time I was working on a number of Eink display SideShow devices. A calendar device to hang on the wall as the family calendar, a "TV GUIDE" tv remote control etc etc. That would all be driven by the remote display SideShow tech.
It wasnt supported much by the major oems, although they showed off alot of ideas they only produced a hand full. there was a lot of interest but consumers didnt seem to go for it. there were only a couple reference design devices to use as a base for my ideas. I found out real quick how hard it would be to design, build and market my devices at a price consumers would find appealing. This was before Kickstarter and indiegogo. There were a few well designed remotes produced for working with windows media center pcs .
MS dropped Sideshow as part of the OS in Win 7 and completely dropped support for any existing gadgets/devices in Win 8
I wonder what they are using to push the info and drive the display? maybe it acts like a standalone tablet with the info just pushed there via an app
If so that would be neat for reading ebooks on
Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Here's more info from Tablet News http://tablet-news.com/2014/09/11/in...e-ink-display/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Thanks for the link
Old 09-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Maybe the Samsung Nook tablets would have been more interesting, had they had the dual e-ink/LCD screens as described here.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

That would indeed be interesting, though I think that it would be hard to impement.