Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Vox
Lightbulb Life with Google Market running on Kobo Vox ;)

Please follow the following thread for the latest instructions, including a simple program download

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...22&postcount=1

Last edited by danifunker; 02-27-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Updated to the link with the thread to the program...
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

[Whole thing is obsolete since 19/12/2011 update. New procedure here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=33]]

Last edited by hieronymos; 12-22-2011 at 08:21 AM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Do you mean this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=58?

(The GoogleFrameworkServices apk that is attached)

(This forum is not XDA, tell them a little more :-)
Haha, okay.

1. Root the device
2. Install the old youtube app, (google youtube apk and get the first mediafire version)
3. Install googleframeworkservices-kobo.apk as supplied here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=58
4. Login to the old youtube app by going to "My Channel"
5. Accept 2 permission requests
6. Get a copy of Google Market, run the install.
7. Now is when you need root... Move the RENAME the google market in /data/app/com.android.vending-1.apk to Vending.apk (case sensitive)
8. Move the file /data/app/Vending.apk to /system/app
9. Restart the device and cross fingers!

Let me know if it works...
Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

[Whole thing is obsolete since 19/12/2011 update. New procedure here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=33]]

Note that you don't necessarily need root, if you have access to some Linux somewhere, as you can remount /system as rw and then just push the apk to /system/app through adb:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=46

Oh, and you can get the Market here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...on/Google_Apps

If you want to have no hassle, just push them all to /system/apps.
The long and easy instructions: download the apk and zip, extract the zip to your harddrive. Inside the zip there is a folder called system/apps - get the list of apps above our of there and put all together on the SD.
Then open ES File Explorer or whatever of choice, Settings - tick Root Explorer, tick Mount File System. Select all the apks on your SD, copy them, navigate to /system/apps on the Vox, paste, reboot. Go to Settings - Accounts, add your Google Account, reboot. Spend your money on the Market.

Alternatively, if you want the unrooted adb way, make the adb connection and then copy all the files like "adb push Vending.apk /system/app".

Last edited by hieronymos; 12-22-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
It does indeed work. I didn't install Youtube, though, but went into Settings - Accounts and added the Google account. Now trying to figure out how to install the rest of the Google Apps without messing everything up (I'd be really happy if Maps could read my location, for example).
I wasn't able to get the Google Accounts wizard screen to complete, it might be since I have the old YouTube.apk installed? Also, the GooglePartners.apk kept crashing... that might also be related to the YouTube.apk? Not sure.

It's working enough, I am just testing to make sure it doesn't crash like crazy right now...

FYI - I have maps on my system, I installed it then moved the com.google.maps-1.apk to /system/app/Maps.apk and it loads.
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
hieronymos
Groupie

YES! Maps has to be in /system/app too!! It can even sync My Places and stuff! Yay!
StreetView works as well! (It's in the Cyanogen zip)
(However, it still can't find out my location. I don't know - I have that on my phone as well when I'm in Airplane mode, although I theory it is possible to locate me based on my IP.)

Last edited by hieronymos; 12-14-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Dumb question: do you need to already have a market account via another android device set up? If not, how do you add your credit card info to purchase stuff? Thanks.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
hieronymos
Groupie

You need a google account, that's all. You can make one with your old email address if you don't want to make a gmail account. You should do that in a web browser.
You can also sign up directly on the Vox for Google - but then you get a full-fledged Google account, gmail inclusive.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Works perfectly for me using hieronymos' steps. Not quite danifunker's. Thanks a lot to you both!!
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
danifunker
Connoisseur

I added the files in /etc and /framework from the cynaogenmod zip and that allowed me to install "google currents". That might help fix your maps error, hieronymos. There is something pertaining to maps in that folder.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
hieronymos
Groupie

Yup, did that as well. No changes to the location thing. Guess Maps is (on purpose) too stupid to find my location based on wifi.
There will probably be a fix for the MAC address anyway soon, so then we might just apply the whole zip in one shot, right after upgrading wiping and upgrading a system, for example.

It's really nice to see all these app updates coming down through the market automatically now.

Last edited by hieronymos; 12-22-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
hieronymos
Groupie

If you fancy books and video rentals, the latest market is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1328939
The interface looks better on 7 inch. A little cluttered though.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Thanks to both of you for the instructions, very easy to do!

However, for the app I really wanted:

https://market.android.com/details?i...downtimertrial

I am told:

"This app is incompatible with your Unknown K080."

Is this a common occurrence? Just curious.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
hieronymos
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Is this a common occurrence? Just curious.
Totally. The market tells me that this is incompatible with all my devices :-) (I have another old phone, which doesn't run much stuff either.)
Plus, we don't have no bluetooth, GPS, nor microphone. The market knows this and each app has a list of things it wants to access. The market then filters what is even available.
If you don't want to be told that something is incompatible, don't use the Market website, but only the market on the Vox - no deceptions :-)

But there are many apps that do what you want there. I'd search on the Vox again.

P.S.: Sideloading or forcing it to install by placing it in /data/app might sometimes work, though.