Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Question The screen is too dark

Hello everybody. All the best!

After 35 months with my Gen3, the screen is too dark, lost the contrast and sharpness. The screen is not as white as before.

Any suggestions?
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Tetsuro
Tetsuro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Buy a new one.
Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Photo?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
My Gen3 is also 3 years old, and while it's probably a bit darker than it used to be, it's still easy to read.

I think it might be normal that the screen degrades a little over time (not as much as the battery, though), but maybe your case is worse than normal.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Tetsuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
My Gen3 is also 3 years old, and while it's probably a bit darker than it used to be, it's still easy to read.

I think it might be normal that the screen degrades a little over time (not as much as the battery, though), but maybe your case is worse than normal.
Perhaps the degradation is affected by external things like humidity, temperature and so on... certainly 3 years is not a good point to start from if we considers the price of the devices but I don't think he can do anything about it. Probably an LCD panel is an older and more proven technology if one can stand the backlight. Junior could consider it for his future purchase.
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
junior
Connoisseur

The reading was impaired, I have to read in bold.

About things external, maybe magnetic field or the sun has damaged the screen of the Gen3.

In my case it was disappointed with the "lifetime" of the screen that uses technology Vizplex.

I'm in doubt screen between Sipix or E_ink Pearl.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Tetsuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
The reading was impaired, I have to read in bold.

About things external, maybe magnetic field or the sun has damaged the screen of the Gen3.

In my case it was disappointed with the "lifetime" of the screen that uses technology Vizplex.

I'm in doubt screen between Sipix or E_ink Pearl.
Sipix it's even newer so who could say how long will last. Anyway it's inferior to Pearl in terms of quality.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... and you shouldn't draw general conclusions from a single particular case. Maybe your screen was defective, or maybe it was subject to some extreme conditions (with or without your knowledge).
Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
junior
Connoisseur

First: The screen has always been OK, it slowly darkened.

Second: What kind of "extreme conditions"?

I do not understand what happened.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
First: The screen has always been OK, it slowly darkened.
I understand that, but maybe your particular screen was defective in some way, so that it degraded faster or to a greater extent that others. I haven't seen yours, so I can't say whether or not your screen is worse than mine, for instance.

What I mean is that you should not judge the Vizplex technology, as a whole, from the behaviour of a single screen.

Quote:
Second: What kind of "extreme conditions"?
What you mentioned, maybe magnetic fields, strong sunlight, very hot or cold temperatures or humidity... "Extreme" not for a human being, but maybe something outside the range the screen was designed to be safe in.

All I know is that my screen is as old as yours, and I can still read it comfortably. Maybe I'm more forgiving, or maybe I was lucky, or maybe you were unlucky.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

That's definitely not what I see in my screen, and would be a reason to claim a warranty repair, if it were still under warranty. For some reason, your screen is extremely degraded, and I know it is no consolation, but that's not normal.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
You have a first generation Cybook Gen3 ?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
junior
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
You have a first generation Cybook Gen3 ?
Hi Godzil. My Gen3 is model CYBGEN310BS, 512MB, I think it is the second edition.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Hi Godzil. My Gen3 is model CYBGEN310BS, 512MB, I think it is the second edition.
My second edition is as clear as it was when I bought it 3 years ago.
Do you have yours in a cover that shields the screen?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote