Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #16
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Not much further behind lol
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Not quite as old as you both (35) but I do have glasses. I'm seriously considering LASIK
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #18
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Sweet. I grabbed Super Consciousness.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Just a note on this - they don't check to make sure your email is legit. Just make up any email and it will give you the subscription so you can basically subscribe to as many as you want.

cypherclock - get LASIK. Had it done 10 years ago almost now and it was a great investment.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only problem with that is that it is linked to your Zinio account on different emails. Try using a Gmail one moving the period from after the first letter of the username to after the second, then to after the third for each subscription. Zinio will see all of them as the same email user but goreadgreen sees it as a different email each time you move the dot.
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Only problem with that is that it is linked to your Zinio account on different emails. Try using a Gmail one moving the period from after the first letter of the username to after the second, then to after the third for each subscription. Zinio will see all of them as the same email user but goreadgreen sees it as a different email each time you move the dot.

It worked! I hope I am not going to go to Zinio jail now...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #22
Cdesja5
Wizard

I'd have beat you there by a few months lol. I have it on my laptop and the magazines I downloaded onto the computer are also available in the app on the Vox if I choose to download them...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-05-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #23
laverdm
laverdm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Glad I found this post. Trying to decide if I should by the Kobo Vox given I already have the Kobo Wifi. I would just love to read magazine on a tablet. I have a BB playbook but Zinio is not in App World. A free subscription may help justify the price of the Kobo vox
laverdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #24
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Thanks for sharing this, Cdesja5!

I subscribed to MacLeans and Elle using my two email accounts and to Golf Fitness for my husband.

I agree with pokkee that magazines don't work well on the 7 inch Vox screen, especially with "mature" eyes, but they are wonderful to read on a computer!
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #25
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I did figure out a way to work with the magazines on the Vox, but it isn't pretty. I read in portrait mode. I zoom the page until it is readable and then take it back to the original size to turn pages.

The newspaper app is far more usable than the magazine one, IMO.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #26
laverdm
laverdm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
For those of you who find the Kobo Vox too small to read a magazine, I tested it at the store and there is a "Text" option to just see the article, similar to a book page. That was enough to take my worry away about that aspect of the reader that I didn't like. That, and also the fact that I can get a free subricption to a magazine! End result: I just bought it. Looking forward to "play" with it!
laverdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #27
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Yeah, I think my free magazine subscriptions would've cost more than the Vox itself...

I hate the text option. I find the font and layout unreadable for some reason.

The zooming is also a little buggy - doesn't always focus properly unless you tap/move the screen.

BUT...I am still lovin' it! I'd say for 80% of most magazines, I am just looking at pictures, anyway. I got a back issue of Backpacker magazine (Best National Parks) and the photos are just spectacular!

And...since I am a bit of a hoarder of old magazines, I think I am doing my household a huge favor! Now I just have to worry about my ELECTRONIC hoarding problem!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #28
Cdesja5
Wizard

Yes, the free magazines can absolutely justify the purchase of the Vox! The subscriptions are linked to the email account so if the desktop app is downloaded to a computer, you can read the same magazines on the larger screen as well.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #29
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
Thanks for posting this!
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #30
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
You can get a free subscription by going to "goreadgreen.com", they have Macleans as one of the magazine choices (amongst others, about 30-40 different magazine choices). One free subscription per email address; if a Canadian postal address doesn't work, (it didn't in May when I did this, it may have been fixed since then) you need to use an American address.

FYI, MacLeans subscription is $45 on Zinio site...That's a REALLY good deal as it comes out once every 2 weeks.
Enjoy! Magazines look great on the Vox!
Logged in and found no such offer!
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elle, free subscription, macleans, magazines, vox