Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
josephct3
josephct3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500; Sony PRS-505; Irex Iliad; Palm Tungsten T5
I love reading, and I love gadgets...

either of which can carry the unfortunate possibility of bothering my wife.

Hello! I am pretty much always a lurker, no matter the forum, email list, or whatever, but I decided to venture out of my shell enough to extend greetings, and to let you all know how much I have appreciated the information you have shared.

I have an old Rocket eBook, an old SmartBook (but I've lost track of its AC cable), an eBookwise eBook, several PDAs (the most recent of which is a Palm Tungsten T5), and I just bought a Sony PRS-500. I've tried a lot of different types of reader software on my PDAs and my computers. Right now, I've got eReader and Mobipocket on the T5, a few books in .rb format on the eBookwise reader, and a bunch of stuff on the Sony (primarily because of the Connect 100 classics promotion). I keep wondering if I made the right choice buying the Sony rather than forking out the really big bucks for an Iliad. I can see upsides and downsides either way.

Probably my biggest frustration with the Sony is the PDF problem. I've downloaded several free converters/modifiers/etc., but none of them solve the problem to my satisfaction. However, I like the Sony. I am still within the time limit of returning it, which would give me a better financial chance to get the Iliad, 2 ed., but I just can't seem to go through with it. Since Fictionwise has begun providing LRF format on so many titles, and I can see how well the Sony can work with its native format, I guess I'll be sticking with it for now. Also, booklights work pretty well with the Sony, but I have my doubts about how well they would work with the Iliad. For one thing, where would you attach a booklight on the Iliad?

Enough with boring y'all. And thanks again for all the help you've given me by answering the questions of others.

Joe
josephct3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
teanoah
Banned
teanoah began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-500
Welcome,

You and me both Joe, the pdf problem drives me insane! So many ebooks that are unreadable even with the conversion software....its frustrating! But here at Mobile Read there are a lot of very helpful people who really make it a lot easier. I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't for the help, advice, and ebooks that I get off of a site like this, I know I'd return my Sony Reader!
teanoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephct3 View Post
either of which can carry the unfortunate possibility of bothering my wife.

Hello! I am pretty much always a lurker, no matter the forum, email list, or whatever, but I decided to venture out of my shell enough to extend greetings, and to let you all know how much I have appreciated the information you have shared.

I have an old Rocket eBook, an old SmartBook (but I've lost track of its AC cable), an eBookwise eBook, several PDAs (the most recent of which is a Palm Tungsten T5), and I just bought a Sony PRS-500. I've tried a lot of different types of reader software on my PDAs and my computers. Right now, I've got eReader and Mobipocket on the T5, a few books in .rb format on the eBookwise reader, and a bunch of stuff on the Sony (primarily because of the Connect 100 classics promotion). I keep wondering if I made the right choice buying the Sony rather than forking out the really big bucks for an Iliad. I can see upsides and downsides either way.

Probably my biggest frustration with the Sony is the PDF problem. I've downloaded several free converters/modifiers/etc., but none of them solve the problem to my satisfaction. However, I like the Sony. I am still within the time limit of returning it, which would give me a better financial chance to get the Iliad, 2 ed., but I just can't seem to go through with it. Since Fictionwise has begun providing LRF format on so many titles, and I can see how well the Sony can work with its native format, I guess I'll be sticking with it for now. Also, booklights work pretty well with the Sony, but I have my doubts about how well they would work with the Iliad. For one thing, where would you attach a booklight on the Iliad?

Enough with boring y'all. And thanks again for all the help you've given me by answering the questions of others.

Joe
Can you link us to a PDF you want converted and we'll see what can be done with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
some wives will be bothered by anything, keep the gadgets
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
heheh, I've reached a blissful compromise with the whole Reader can't do PDF well issue. I picked up and installed the PDF convertor for the Words Gear device and PDF's look awesome on it. It sucked I have to shell out a little extra cash for this, but the PDF's are spot-on and scrolling doesn't institute whole-screen redraws; in other words, it scrolls just like on your PC screen. That being said, while I now have two gadgets to read books on, one it for plain 'ol books and the other suit my needs for comics, magazine, and techie books.

I know this doesn't help too much with the Reader issue and PDF's, but I'd suggest running them through either Rasterfarian or PDFRead. Both do a darn good job at making PDF's more usable on the Reader, though they're really hampered by the Reader itself in how it renders/redraws PDF's. Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the club!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert