Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Since I love Balzac here's my contribution
Eugenie Grandet
Code:
web2lrf --url http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1715/1715-h/1715-h.htm --force-page-break-before-attr "a,name,.*" -t "Eugenie Grandet" -a "Honore de Balzac" --headerformat "%t by %a" -o "Eugenie Grandet.lrf"
You need libprs500 v0.3.94 for this to work.
--headerformat "%t by %a" doesn't work. All the header shows is ... by
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
works for me.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I changed it to --header and that worked. But --headerformat did not work.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I haven't downloaded any of the Balzacs in the Sony Connect Classics. Has anyone else? I'd like to know what they look like.
The two Balzac titles I've downloaded look just like all the other Classics I've downloaded: there are spaces between paragraphs (I personally don't care for that); no links (none of the $1.99 Classics have links; this is to be expected, but I personally prefer links).

They're certainly readable, but the formatting leaves so much to be desired; but then again, that's why they're $1.99.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #20
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
I contributed the patch for --headerformat; you need to specify --header also, unless that's been changed since I submitted the patch.
beowulf573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2007, 10:46 PM   #21
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Thanks again, all for the suggestions.

What I decided to do was search in the Connect web page (not Connect Reader Store) using "Sony CONNECT, Inc." as the search term. That pulled up what I assume are all the Classics that the credit can be used on. It pulled up 500. So I looked at all 500, 50 books at a time. I typed in Word every one that I was really interested in having. And, wouldn't you know, exactly 50 came up! (But there are two separate translations of the Iliad in there. The Iliad on the Reader!!! :lol: )

I know many of the following are already here (or PG). But I've got the credit and these are the ones that I'm interested in. So it's time to start downloading!

For those interested, here are my selections:
1. 20,000 Leagues
2. America Notes, Rudyard Kipling
3. The World Set Free – H.G. Wells
4. The Upanishads – Swami Paramananda
5. Twenty Years After – Alexandre Dumas
6. Bram Stoker’s Dracula
7. The Time Machine
8. Walden by Thoreau
9. The Sonnets by Shakespeare
10. King Henry VI by Shakespeare
11. Aesop’s Fables
12. The Three Musketeers by Dumas
13. Othello by Shakespeare
14. The Divine Comedy by Aligheieri
15. Ivanhoe by Scott
16. Henry 8th
17. Beowulf
18. Midsummer’s Night
19. Treasure Island
20. Tale of Two Cities
21. The Raven
22. Poems by T.S. Elliot
23. Romeo and Juliet
24. The Tragedy of King Lear
25. The Prince by Machiavelli
26. Hamlet
27. Macbeth
28. The Argonautica by Rhodius
29. The Aeneid by Virgil
30. Sense and Sensibility by Austen
31. Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas
32. Le Morte d’Arthur by Mallory
33. The Writings of Abraham Lincoln by Lincoln
34. The Divine Comedy by Dante
35. St. Ives by Stevenson
36. The Iliad of Homer by Homer
37. The Compleat Angler by Walton
38. Agamemnon by Aeschylus
39. The War of the Worlds
40. The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne
41. Pride and Prejudice by Austen
42. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Wilde
43. Moby Dick by Melville
44. Leaves of Grass by Whitman
45. Frankenstein by Shelley
46. Faust by Goethe
47. Don Juan by Byron
48. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Twain
49. An Inquiy into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
50. The Iliad of Homer in prose Translation by Walter Lang by Homer

Since the 50th is a dupe, I'm going to take Patricia's suggestion and go for a Balzac. - One that she hasn't posted here yet, if that be possible, since the above about standard only text characters in the formatting.

I might do just a little adjustment, also - I'm missing The Vicomte de Bragelonne by Dumas, for example. Not sure if I missed that one in the list, or if it wasn't there. Oh, and a lot of the ones on the list I've already done on my own (but didn't consider the formatting good enough to upload here.) And I'm still working on a good copy of Leaves of Grass.

But anyway, thanks for the help.

Last edited by LaughingVulcan; 08-18-2007 at 10:52 PM.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

For the ones that are here, are you going to download those instead of getting them from the Connect Store?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:03 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
I might do just a little adjustment, also - I'm missing The Vicomte de Bragelonne by Dumas, for example. Not sure if I missed that one in the list, or if it wasn't there.
Just a note that you can download that here - it's a (small) part of the (enormous) 4 volume "D'Artagnan Romances" that I published a while ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #24
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For the ones that are here, are you going to download those instead of getting them from the Connect Store?
The Connect Store, for now. Since I have the credits, I intend to use them.
I think that to start out, when I'm actually ready to read an individual one I'll probably download it here also. Then load both and compare them.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #25
LaughingVulcan
Technophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just a note that you can download that here - it's a (small) part of the (enormous) 4 volume "D'Artagnan Romances" that I published a while ago.
Actually, that's one that I also have made for myself, but I didn't consider my version "release worthy."
Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think you will find that, generally speaking at least, the ones from this forum are much nicer. They have the same origin as the ones on Connect (ie PG) but have been much more carefully formatted. I'd certainly be interested in your feedback on the comparison between the two .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #27
ns66
Connoisseur
ns66 doesn't litterns66 doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
classic books recommendation?

Hi I have 2 ereaders got 150 classic books to order, what a pita

I don't know much about classic books, a couple dozen maybe, certainly won't be able to fill the 150 list, anyone got a good list so I can just pick them by author? (btw what a pain using connect website lol)

thx
ns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #28
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
There's already a similar thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12771
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #29
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
While Don has problems with poetry (as did I), I had more problems with plays. Between stage instructions, actor's dialog, and footnotes the plays were the slowest formatting for me. As time went on (as there are several volumes of them in the Harvard Classics series) they did get a bit easier. But that is a lot like dropping a rock on your foot to get rid of a headache.

In short, if there are any plays out there, grab them.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 PM   #30
ns66
Connoisseur
ns66 doesn't litterns66 doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
thanks
ns66 is offline   Reply With Quote