Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #5746
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
spot,stop,tops,pots,post
Also opts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
this, sith, hits, shit, hist
Don't like to call foul, but isn't Sith proper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
snip pins spin nips bugga! nisp?
Heh.

Quote:
peal leap pale plea aple (getting rid of double letters )
Heh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
eats, seat, sate, teas, east.
Yup.

Quote:
teas, east, eats, seat, sate

Ooooh!!! Bookpossum beat me.
Also seta and etas.

Quote:
Ears, Sear, Eras, Sera, Ares
Yes. And rase.

So I think Bookpossum has two, and Sneaky Snake, Shayne Parkinson and Daithi have one apiece. Do I have that right?

I can think of a few others and I'm sure there are more, so I'll let this run for a bit.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #5747
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
earl,lare,rale,real,lear
eels,lees,else,seel,eles
seal,ales,sale,leas,lase

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 02-22-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #5748
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
earl,lare,rale,real,lear
eels,lees,else,seel,eles
seal,ales,sale,leas,lase
Oy. Can you elucidate regarding lare, lear and eles?

seal, etc is great.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #5749
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the OED (a handy thing to have on subscription . I only used it to check, btw, not for inspiration):

lare - a turner's lathe
lear - a lesson; a binding tape; a colour of sheep
ele - obsolete spelling of oil. I may be pushing it on this one...
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #5750
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
From the OED (a handy thing to have on subscription . I only used it to check, btw, not for inspiration):

lare - a turner's lathe
lear - a lesson; a binding tape; a colour of sheep
ele - obsolete spelling of oil. I may be pushing it on this one...
LOL, can we split the difference and give you lare, etc., and not the other? Once we go obsolete, all hell will break loose!

Which gives Shayne Parkinson three, Bookpossum two, and Sneaky Snake and Daithi one each.

Last edited by issybird; 02-22-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #5751
Shayne Parkinson
Author

That seems fair.

Edited: "lare" is listed as obsolete, too, so cancel that one.

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 02-22-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #5752
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
That seems fair.

Edited: "lare" is listed as obsolete, too, so cancel that one.
Bookpossum and Shayne Parkinson at two each, Sneaky Snake and Daithi at one each.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #5753
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

OK, let's wrap this up. I've thought of a few others, but I'm sure this isn't exhaustive:

user, sure, suer, rues, ruse
rats, star, tars, arts, tsar
slit, silt, list, tils, lits
rose, roes, ores, sore, eros
slat, lats, salt, last, alts (high pitched musical notes; I had to look that one up)

Bookpossum or Shayne Parkinson should pose the next poser.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #5754
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Go for it, Possum.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #5755
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm cool with Possum giving the next quiz, but I did want to defend "Sith". I'm guessing Issybird was thinking Star Wars, but according to dictionary.com, sith is an archaic adverb that means "since".

Edit: fun quiz by the way.

Last edited by Daithi; 02-22-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #5756
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I'm cool with Possum giving the next quiz, but I did want to defend "Sith". I'm guessing Issybird was thinking Star Wars, but according to dictionary.com, sith is an archaic adverb that means "since".

Edit: fun quiz by the way.
I'm sorry. I thought Star Wars as you inferred. I looked it up to check and that's all I found. Mea culpa.

If you've got a question, go for it, I'd say. Keep the ball rolling.

And, thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #5757
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Are we still waiting for Hamlet to come out from behind the arras? In the meantime, here are a few questions with a literary flavour:

1. What is Nero Wolfe's favourite drink during office hours?

2. What did the title character in John Fowles's "The Collector" collect?

3. Who wrote "Good fences make good neighbours"?

4. Who founded Pravda?

5. Where did English novelist Samuel Butler emigrate to in 1859?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #5758
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
1. Sheep's blood?
2. Chickens?
3. My dad?
4. The devil Lenin?
5. New Zealand? (you posed this Q only because you are not living there now)
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #5759
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
1. Sheep's blood?
2. Chickens?
3. My dad?
4. The devil Lenin?
5. New Zealand? (you posed this Q only because you are not living there now)
1.-3. No to these.

4. Yes - Lenin that is, not the Devil!

5. Yes, New Zealand. (But I'm not a Kiwi - born in Oz of English parents.)

So 2 points to SneakySnake.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #5760
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

1. Beer
3. Robert Frost