Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
The people under the bridge

One thing I've always found a little sad about sites like this -- that necessarily need to have the community divided up into so many separate sub-groups -- is how often one is accused of so-called "trolling" a particular sub-forum. Warranted or not, it seems to be a trump card that is pulled out and used in a lot of discussions.

For example I've recently seen this comment:

"Stop trolling the Kindle forum."

To me that simple statement, and ones like it, are one of the most divisive things you can ever say on a community site such as MR. When I see comments like that it conjures up all sorts of negative connotations in my mind:

- Go back to where you belong.
- You aren't wanted here.
- Stay with your own people.
- Who invited YOU?
- You aren't welcome in these parts.
- Keep your comments and questions to yourself.
- How DARE you say that in MY forum.

It seems these things usually happen like this: A topic is started. Discussion gets heated. Two or more people start to take things personally. One user looks at another users "device" listing, notices his/her device doesn't correlate to the sub-forum they are currently on. Claims "troll". Further attempts at discussion are labeled "feeding of the troll". Even further discussion is labeled "beating of a dead horse".

I fully admit that trolling exists. We can all probably think of a few people right now in the community who are well known for it. We have to remember though, MR as a whole is an all inclusive community. Sure we might stick to our own niche most of the time, but that doesn't mean we have to get nasty when we feel our "device" is getting disrespected.

I might consider myself a "Kindle" person, but first and foremost I'm part of the Mobile Read family. Just because ol' Uncle So-&-So over in the "Sony" sub-forum is always showing up at my house, annoying me and challenging my statements, doesn't mean I need to call him a Troll.

He is still part of my MR family after all. We don't have to agree on everything.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Does pitchforking happen a lot around here then? That's the first time I've noticed it outside the piracy threads.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Trolls aren't people under the bridge. They're people on the lake. With special motors.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Seems to me it mostly happens here when someone deserves the title. Sure, it is still a bit 'o name calling but this is the internet not a group hug. And so-called trolls have the opportunity to defend their statements.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
One thing I've always found a little sad about sites like this -- that necessarily need to have the community divided up into so many separate sub-groups -- is how often one is accused of so-called "trolling" a particular sub-forum. Warranted or not, it seems to be a trump card that is pulled out and used in a lot of discussions.

For example I've recently seen this comment:

"Stop trolling the Kindle forum."

To me that simple statement, and ones like it, are one of the most divisive things you can ever say on a community site such as MR. When I see comments like that it conjures up all sorts of negative connotations in my mind:

- Go back to where you belong.
- You aren't wanted here.
- Stay with your own people.
- Who invited YOU?
- You aren't welcome in these parts.
- Keep your comments and questions to yourself.
- How DARE you say that in MY forum.

It seems these things usually happen like this: A topic is started. Discussion gets heated. Two or more people start to take things personally. One user looks at another users "device" listing, notices his/her device doesn't correlate to the sub-forum they are currently on. Claims "troll". Further attempts at discussion are labeled "feeding of the troll". Even further discussion is labeled "beating of a dead horse".

I fully admit that trolling exists. We can all probably think of a few people right now in the community who are well known for it. We have to remember though, MR as a whole is an all inclusive community. Sure we might stick to our own niche most of the time, but that doesn't mean we have to get nasty when we feel our "device" is getting disrespected.

I might consider myself a "Kindle" person, but first and foremost I'm part of the Mobile Read family. Just because ol' Uncle So-&-So over in the "Sony" sub-forum is always showing up at my house, annoying me and challenging my statements, doesn't mean I need to call him a Troll.

He is still part of my MR family after all. We don't have to agree on everything.
call a spade a spade. I'm the one that used the expression and I used it for good reason. there are a couple of people that do not have kindles that come into the kindle forums and make repeated disparaging remarks about them. in this particular case it was ONCE AGAIN about the 1984 debacle. they don't have a kindle, it doesn't and didn't affect them. to bring these issues up again is more than , it is trolling for a reaction.

so... I call a troll a troll
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I have a thread on the Kobo boards telling about my horrendous customer experience when returning it for a refund. I posted it because often people check out the boards of a particular device before they purchase. I feel like a company's customer service track record counts for a lot in many people's minds.

A few people got a little snippy. One accused me of not calling the company directly. Ummm, I did call but I like to use email too because it's more tangible proof of what went down.

No one really called me a troll, per se, but I wasn't feeling the love either, LOL. But, I'm a big girl, I can deal.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
call a spade a spade. I'm the one that used the expression and I used it for good reason. there are a couple of people that do not have kindles that come into the kindle forums and make repeated disparaging remarks
There is a similar troll on the Sony forum right now:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109231
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
There is a similar troll on the Sony forum right now:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109231
I just don't understand why people feel that they need to go into forums and comment on devices that they do not own. I don't go into any of the other forums; their accessories, problems, hacks, suggestions, sources for reading materials etc. do not pertain to me. they may possibly have other discussions that would be interesting and I could participate in them just for the sake of knowledge. I know nothing about those devices so why should I presume to comment on them?

it's kind of like the Chevy owner putting his car in the shop at the Chevy dealer, walking over to the Ford dealer and harassing all of the Ford owners about their vehicles. *shrug*
Old 12-04-2010, 03:04 AM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
And I looked at this thread hoping to see something about Foul Ole Ron, Coffin Henry, Arnold Sideways or Duck Man. Maybe a recipe for boiled boots. Wasn't I disappointed.

(That's a Terry Pratchett's Discworld reference for those poor people that know no better.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 AM   #10
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Not to be confused with "The People Under the Stairs"
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #11
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
One of MRs most vocal Nook enthusiasts is now annoying the Kindle discussion boards at Amazon. Although he's not using his MR name there he is recycling all the Kindle-bashing comments he uses here. Any MR member will recognize his... "comedy stylings"... in a heartbeat. He's picking fights with everybody and makes no secret of his disdain for Kindles. That sure sounds like that word that starts with "T" to me.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #12
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Quote:
I just don't understand why people feel that they need to go into forums and comment on devices that they do not own.
That is sort of the attitude I think ends up hurting the community. I used to be a die hard Sony fan. I remember once, long ago, making some sort of comment to the effect of, "Why would I want a device with a cheap plastic body, when I have this nice metal 505?"

I wasn't trying to provoke anyone, or cause trouble. It was just my honest observation. I couldn't understand why I'd want to "downgrade" the quality of my product. I thought the Kindle looked cheap and clunky, and the Sony looked sleek and well manufactured. I really thought that the Sony line was superior in every way to the Kindle. If I had been attacked and called a Troll for saying something like that -- or if I had been unwelcome to even enter the Kindle forums without first owning the device -- I would have never stuck around long enough to realize just how amazing of a device the Kindle really is.

Sometimes people say things simply because they are ignorant of the situation and the facts at hand. Calling a spade a spade isn't always as clear cut as it may at first seem, and jumping to conclusions about a person could end up chasing away someone would might end up surprising you in the long run.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
call a spade a spade. I'm the one that used the expression and I used it for good reason. there are a couple of people that do not have kindles that come into the kindle forums and make repeated disparaging remarks about them. in this particular case it was ONCE AGAIN about the 1984 debacle. they don't have a kindle, it doesn't and didn't affect them. to bring these issues up again is more than , it is trolling for a reaction.

so... I call a troll a troll
So a troll is someone that makes a reference to something that happened that you don't want people to know about? Someone was worried about what Amazon could do to their Kindle, he had a right to know what Amazon has done to people's Kindles in the past.

And you must be some sort of super computer hacker to know what devices people own.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
But if you read that Sony thread "Glad to see Amazon Kindle overtake Sony," it may have been started by a "troll," but there is actually a lot of interesting information in the thread. About strengths and problems of Sony (the company and the readers), about market share of various devices. THAT is what I love about this board. Even a "troll thread" can turn into a good discussion.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
That is sort of the attitude I think ends up hurting the community. I used to be a die hard Sony fan. I remember once, long ago, making some sort of comment to the effect of, "Why would I want a device with a cheap plastic body, when I have this nice metal 505?"

I wasn't trying to provoke anyone, or cause trouble. It was just my honest observation. I couldn't understand why I'd want to "downgrade" the quality of my product. I thought the Kindle looked cheap and clunky, and the Sony looked sleek and well manufactured. I really thought that the Sony line was superior in every way to the Kindle. If I had been attacked and called a Troll for saying something like that -- or if I had been unwelcome to even enter the Kindle forums without first owning the device -- I would have never stuck around long enough to realize just how amazing of a device the Kindle really is.

Sometimes people say things simply because they are ignorant of the situation and the facts at hand. Calling a spade a spade isn't always as clear cut as it may at first seem, and jumping to conclusions about a person could end up chasing away someone would might end up surprising you in the long run.
this is over the 1984 debacle. how many times do I have to say that? the

TROLLS

that come into every "should I get a Kindle, can they see my stuff?" jump in with; "that one time (at band camp) they took 1984 off of everyone's Kindle!!!!". they learned their lesson the hard way. it will never happen again, not like that.

I am pointing my finger at troll like behaviour over THAT. the comments have NOTHING to do with functionality, use, fit or anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
So a troll is someone that makes a reference to something that happened that you don't want people to know about? Someone was worried about what Amazon could do to their Kindle, he had a right to know what Amazon has done to people's Kindles in the past.

And you must be some sort of super computer hacker to know what devices people own.
ok, fine you say you have a paperback as your device so apparently you do not even own an e-reader, or if you do you are ashamed to promote it. regardless, if you do not OWN the device being discussed, learn all you want about it, but do not presume to tell others if it is a good fit for them or not