Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
niceboy
Enthusiast
niceboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I had been preparing for my Kindle my setting up tags in Clalibre.
E.G. [Biography], [Classics], [Contemporary], [Horror], [Science fiction], [Thriller]. They have between 10 and 50 books to a tag. Although Sci-Fi has maybe 90 since there is more free stuff of that around.

I was going to try to have Calibre load these books onto the Kindle in folders based on those tags and then use Kindle Collection Manager to create Collections from those folders.

You think I should add spaces inside the brackets like this [ Biography ]? I had thought brackets might be the least annoying symbol to set off the collections ahead of other entries. I figured a dozen collections would fill the first Home page screen and force the individual books to the second page and after. I suppose I'll be able to jump to a given letter in the Author and Title views but have not seen that in any demos or screen captures.
niceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
No, when working with the Kindle Collection Manger for Windows you don't have to use spaces, I think.
I didn't sort my book with that program as I have a Macbook, but perhaps someone can step in, an give advice, who has used the Collection Manager? It's on this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94261

Last edited by desertblues; 10-21-2010 at 01:41 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #18
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
How about creating a collection called new books and putting the books there?
That's what I did a week ago. It simplified things greatly.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have over 870 books on my Kindle, I never remove any books unless I really hate it. I have about 70 collections and so far so good

Quote:
I have my home screen set to sort by Collections. The only books that appear on the screen then are ones I have not placed in a collection.
me too, its very easy to manage
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #20
Wendywu
Wendywu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I use the Kindle Collection Manager. I have about 2000 books on my Kindle in 19 collections. I leave the current book(s) out of the collections so they are easily accessible and put them back in when I've read them. Gotta say that if you don't have the Collection Manager - get it! It makes life so much easier .

I find it much easier to set up a collection, drag and drop books into it, or take them out - using my laptop and the Collection Manager than struggling slowly with the Kindle's own GUI.

Also, I haven't had any indexing problems or slow-ups using it.

Last edited by Wendywu; 10-22-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Wendywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #21
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
I have 1800 books on my Kindle 3, all in collections and I have no problem finding the book i want.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #22
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
A pity the Windows Collection Manager doesn't work on Mac, or has someone tried it on A Macbook perhaps?

I' m fine with collections; but I changed my mind about the one's I wanted, so I sorted my books all over again.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
qprfan99
Enthusiast
qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.qprfan99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I have about 800 books on my Kindle 3. I've tried organising them in a few different ways but my current system has them in Collections by author (if there are 3 or more by that author - if less I just sort these by Fiction & Non-Fiction). I number each Collection ... 101 Asimov, Isaac. I then sort by Title which puts all of my Collections at the front then each individual book behind.

I also include the sequence # of a series in the Book Title - The Neon Rain (1); Heaven's Prisoners (2).

I sort this way because I generally know the type of book each author writes & can very easily find any book.

I also have a Collection called Currently Reading & one called Read. I never use them! I started setting up a list of books to be read in order then I'll start on Book 1 of a series & then, of course, have to read at least the next couple. So planning a To Read list is a waste of time.

I used Kindle Collection Manager to sort the Kindle. The first time I used it I cursed the writer & all his family. Needless to say it was me doing something wrong. It is brilliant!! The 2nd best thing since sliced bread ...
A word of warning - after doing it all Restart the Kindle. Don't just turn it off & on. Go to Home, Menu, Settings, Menu & hit Restart & then Wait! It takes a few minutes to finish. Eventually all your new Collections will appear but with a (0) after them. Wait a little while longer & they will fill up. All in all it takes 5 minutes or less.

Long winded - but that's me.
Hope this helped a little. But in the end just read the books. The Kindle is the greatest thing since Fire. I'm sure Amazon read my mind & developed it just for me.
Outstanding job! 1 or maybe even 2 Gold Stars

Kind regards
Larry
qprfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
niceboy
Enthusiast
niceboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A word of warning - after doing it all Restart the Kindle. Don't just turn it off & on. Go to Home, Menu, Settings, Menu & hit Restart & then Wait! It takes a few minutes to finish. Eventually all your new Collections will appear but with a (0) after them. Wait a little while longer & they will fill up. All in all it takes 5 minutes or less.

This is extremely useful information. The rest about how you organize in interesting too.
niceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #25
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Question Should I start my own thread or stay here...?

Hey, All.

Before I delve too deeply into my comments, I would like to ask a question to the group.

I am a new K3 WiFi owner (got one for myself as a birthday present earlier this month) and have been spending quite a bit of time "playing" with it as well as reading thread after thread on this great forum.

Being somewhat anal in my meticulousness (some people would say I'm more than an organizational neat freak, but...), I am struggling over the whole idea of indexing my ebooks and creating collections.

Given that introduction, would it be more appropriate for me to start my own thread in order to explore the variousl ideas I have for indexing ebooks as well as participate in a give-and-take with other members or, (long sentence here, I know...) would It be better to discuss these ideas within the boundaries of this thread which, as near as I can tell, deals with pretty much the same subject matter?

Looking forward to your advice and thoughts.

Regards,

Vandy
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Hey, All.

Before I delve too deeply into my comments, I would like to ask a question to the group.

I am a new K3 WiFi owner (got one for myself as a birthday present earlier this month) and have been spending quite a bit of time "playing" with it as well as reading thread after thread on this great forum.

Being somewhat anal in my meticulousness (some people would say I'm more than an organizational neat freak, but...), I am struggling over the whole idea of indexing my ebooks and creating collections.

Given that introduction, would it be more appropriate for me to start my own thread in order to explore the variousl ideas I have for indexing ebooks as well as participate in a give-and-take with other members or, (long sentence here, I know...) would It be better to discuss these ideas within the boundaries of this thread which, as near as I can tell, deals with pretty much the same subject matter?

Looking forward to your advice and thoughts.

Regards,

Vandy

Start a new thread. I think that it would be easier to get advice on that subject in a new thread rather then an older thread. (shrugs)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #27
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I would avoid the term 'indexing', as people will confuse it with the Kindle internal indexing. Maybe 'organizing'?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:09 AM   #28
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceboy View Post
Still waiting for my Kindle 3 and still idly wondering about this and that.

My question:
Do you keep very many items on your Kindle 3? The Amazon promo stuff says up to 3,500 book can be stored on the 4GB of memory. Do any of you maintain big libraries on the device or do you just keep maybe at most a dozen files loaded? Is maintaining a large library practical given the GUI? Do you use the collections? I find it extraordinary that from what I have read items appear within the collections randomly? That is so strange... the device indexes everything but doesn't arrange listing alphabetically in the collections.

Hope this question isn't annoying given that I'll have an answer for myself soon but still I am interested in what other people think in any case.
Early in I put about 1000 books on my Kindle 3. It felt like it took forever to finish indexing all the books (forever = "more than one night while I was sleeping"), but as long as I was willing to sort by most recent book it was manageable to read books on it with that number.

I've since decided that's too many when it comes to poking through for unread books. I now float at between 100 and 200 books. I don't have ADD/ADHD, but I have a VERY short attention span when it comes to reading and I like to concurrently read multiple genres and multiple series within those genres.

For example, at this time, I'm reading:
the 4th/last book in the Four Lords of the Diamond by Jack Chalker (Medusa, I always forget the sub title). Sci-fi with fantastic pseudo-magic elements.
"If I Pay Thee Not In Gold" by Piers Anthony and Mercedes Lackey. Fantasy with amazons & magic.
"A Free Man of Color" by Barbara Hambly (Book 1 of Benjamin January). Historical Mystery, set in 1830's New Orleans Creole society.
"Child of Venus" by Pamela Sargent (hard science fiction).

Using the Calibre plugboards feature to edit book titles in the book sort, finding books in a series is SO MUCH easier. I don't really use collections, the plugboards series sort is all I need at this time.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, gui, kindle, library