Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Octavo Solis light for Kindle 2 "fits" the 350

Although I love my eBook-Lite, it's too heavy for the PRS-350 - it makes it too top heavy for handheld reading. So I took a chance on the Octavo Solis for Kindle 2. It arrived Thursday and I've used it for two days. Thoughts and pics below.

Pic 1 & 2- Since the clip is really designed for the curved back of the Kindle 2, it doesn't go down all the way on the Sony. This is actually a good thing, as the Sony's bezel is so tiny that it would obscure the screen if it went lower. The clip does hold well enough for upright reading without a lot of motion. But if you shake the reader or flip it sideways or upside down, it will slowly slide off. If I decide to keep the Sony and the light, I'd add a tiny bit of craft foam to the inside of the clip to give it better grip.

Pic 3 - It is a LED, but instead of the blue light from other LEDs, it is a warm light and much easier on the eyes in a dark room. The single bulb is perfect for the Sony's 5" screen, and the angle provides the light, but doesn't shine directly and cause hotspots. As you can see, there is some reflection from the Sony's shiny bezel, depending on what angle you hold the Reader.

The Solis is kinda pricey ($30), but the metal build is decent. The only flimsy thing is the battery cover is a bit thin and finicky to get in place. Too soon to rate battery life, but it takes one AA, which is why it is so light. It is a really nice, lightweight clip light. They really should make interchangeable clips for this light, rather than just the Kindle 2 clip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	58872   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	58873   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	425