Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
s2welee
s2welee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony Reader Pocket
Borders App

I have installed my borders app but I cannot get any of my books to show up in it. There are about 5 books, but the books that I bought from kobo do not show up, nor do any of my other epubs that I bought from sony or kobo.

I can see them all in ADE, but I would rather have them all show and sync in the borders app to see if it helps with the font issue. Is there a way to make this work? I cannot see a way to add my current ebook library to the borders app.
s2welee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
are you saying you can sideload ADE books bought elsewhere using the Borders App?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I don't think the desktop apps can find any sideloaded book. It can only know about the books you bought from the store (Borders or Kobo). And then it will download the Shortcovers verson onto your device, ignoring the epub file that is already there.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
s2welee
s2welee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony Reader Pocket
I am able to load books using ADE, but I cannot get the books to show up in the borders app. It does not appear that there is a way.

On a side note, the books that I bought from Kobo previously are not showing up in the borders app. I guess only books bought in the borders app will ever show up in the app.
s2welee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I was told that when you "update library" all the books you purchased from Kobo and 5 of the 100 free books will show on the app.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I was told that when you "update library" all the books you purchased from Kobo and 5 of the 100 free books will show on the app.
Unfortunately that didn't work for me . I can't even drag/drop from the Kobo folder into the app.
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2welee View Post
On a side note, the books that I bought from Kobo previously are not showing up in the borders app. I guess only books bought in the borders app will ever show up in the app.
You're quite correct that the Borders app and the Kobo store are not linked at all.

You'll find some more about that here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87811

Personally, I think the Borders/Kobo app as it currently stands is fairly useless. What good is a program that can't even tell you what books are on your eReader, or transfer ePubs to the Reader?
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
JoyceR
JoyceR began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
Personally, I think the Borders/Kobo app as it currently stands is fairly useless. What good is a program that can't even tell you what books are on your eReader, or transfer ePubs to the Reader?
That is the truth! I can find no way to load the book I just bought from Borders
onto my Kobo. It is a PDF.
JoyceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
To load a PDF you need to use ADE or Calibre.

In ADE, fitst add the PDF to ADE by Library | Add Item to Library (or Ctrl-O); then "drag" the PDF to the Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
objectman
objectman began at the beginning.

I just drag ePub books and PDFs into the Kobo reader directory in Windows. Everything shows up fine then. And I don't have to worry about 3rd parties with awful software trying to sell stuff to me.
objectman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... To load a PDF you need to use ADE or Calibre ...

Maybe we're discussing different things, but I simply drag and drop .pdf files onto my Kobo's 2GB SD card - and they are there. No "conversion" or anything else is required. They ALL show up as "DOCUMENTS" on my Kobo.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... To load a PDF you need to use ADE or Calibre ...

Maybe we're discussing different things, but I simply drag and drop .pdf files onto my Kobo's 2GB SD card - and they are there. No "conversion" or anything else is required. They ALL show up as "DOCUMENTS" on my Kobo.
Of course not! Sorry I was trying to cite the way that a non technical user might do it; one who was not comfortable copying files to a drive showing up in Windows Explorer.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #13
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
The Borders app pretty useless for me so far as far as trying to get the free books they're offering. I've been trying on and off all day to get them either via my iPhone app OR the app for Mac - all I can get is "We were unable to process your order. Please try again." Not ready for prime time??

I've never had a problem with the actual Kobo app on my iPhone.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote