Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Formatting Poetry - A Problem

I have been attempting to transcribe some more poetry using BD. But I’ve been having problems with the formatting. There are two problems:

1. When I centre a line, it looks fine in BD but appears looking like a subtitle when it’s on the reader.
2. Some lines in the poem are intentionally broken in the middle. So the line starts on the left, then there is a line-break and it continues on the right hand side.
I have been using indents to get this effect. I have also tried right justification. Both look fine on the BD file but do not appear when I make a sony reader file. I just keep getting left-justified lines.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong and how I can correct it?
I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Last edited by Patricia; 08-07-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Have you thought about outputing a PDF? I know PDFs are unpopular here, but this kind of problem is why they exist.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
make an html file and use html2lrf. You can get right justification, custom line breaks what have you. See the demo file in the html2lrf thread.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd go with html2lrf. It's a better solution the a *GASP!* PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there no way to get a large indent or right justification in Book Designer then?

These show up on the BD file but don't appear on the reader.

I must confess that I'm a bit daunted by the prospect of html2lrf. All the threads seem to have people quoting strings of (to me) incomprehensible and scary code. I'm a lady academic, approaching middle age, and I have generally used the computer for lecture-writing etc, plus email and the occasional powerpoint presentation. Learning how to use BD was a very new thing. for me to do. Hence my apprehension.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not too worry. Just use microsoft word to create the file. Save it as html (there is an option in word to save as "clean" html, that I cant remember, perhaps someone else will tell you what it is). Anyway, after saving as html, just run html2lrf on it and you should be good to go.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader

I've managed a workaround solution, as my recent upload of T S Eliot's 'The Waste Land' shows.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I have been attempting to transcribe some more poetry using BD. But I’ve been having problems with the formatting. There are two problems:

1. When I centre a line, it looks fine in BD but appears looking like a subtitle when it’s on the reader.
If you are not using Subtitles, just change how the subtitle style comes out and that will fix that problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
BD is poor for poetry. I have experimented with html2lrf and I find the results superior for poetry to those I achieved in BD.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote