Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Turn off Cloud Collections Syncing on GF

Hi Guys:

Does anyone know if there is a way on the Fire to turn off syncing without having to turn off the wifi or the sync option on your settings on the MYK page? I need a way to turn off the CC because they are making my Fire 6 dayum near impossible to use. Every time I turn it on after it has been idle my collections are gone and I have to wait 10-15 for them to resync again. I spoke with Amazon CS but they want to turn off the syncing option but that will not be helpful because then I would lose the ability to sync last read page and bookmarks between devices. They also suggested turning off the wifi but then again that is not a good solution because I lose the ability of the other features of the tablet for that.

So is there an app that can control which features on a device access the wifi??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Cloud collections is one of the worst ideas Amazon has even come up with. It does cause no end of bother with collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree and it is bad on the paperwhite but I am able to work around that by turning the wifi on and off as I need it. This is not an option for the Fire since the wifi is needed for all the apps. But as bad as it is on the pw does not have the annoyance of removing the collections, nor is this behavior on the android or iso apps. So why would they make their native device's the worst of the bunch??
Old 10-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because Amazon doesn't care about the needs/wants of the users. If they had, the Kindle would still have sound, TTS, memory card slot, better margin control, better line height control, user addable fonts and more default fonts. But Amazon feel that they want to have a dumbed down device for people to use and not giving more/better options is going to help with customers who are clueless. I mean look at the options Amazon gives on an eInk Kindle, nobody is going to use the widest margin settings. Any larger line height then what KF8 has on the smallest setting and it's worthless.

There are lots of Amazon customers who want to be able to have customization and Amazon refuses to give it to them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Cloud Collections, fonts and margins are the three reasons I am leaning more to Kobo now. I'll always have one Kindle ereader but the days of a spare kindle are behind me. Now I need a spare Kobo!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

I finally got a kindle rep who knows what he is talking about, he says my Fire is exhibiting unusual behavior. He took logs of my Fire and he is contacting the development team so they can figure out why my collections keep disappearing. He says they are not supposed to be doing that.

Once again I am sure this is another case where they didn't program it for someone who uses so many collections with so large a library. UGH!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because Amazon doesn't care about the needs/wants of the users. If they had, the Kindle would still have sound, TTS, memory card slot, better margin control, better line height control, user addable fonts and more default fonts. But Amazon feel that they want to have a dumbed down device for people to use and not giving more/better options is going to help with customers who are clueless. I mean look at the options Amazon gives on an eInk Kindle, nobody is going to use the widest margin settings. Any larger line height then what KF8 has on the smallest setting and it's worthless.
Amazon doesn't care about the needs of one or two users, yes. Even most advanced Kindle users do not care (at best) about SD cards or TTS/sound, the fonts are a non-issue to many/most (because you just don't get it, do you -- not everyone has the same needs or wants. You are unusual.) and there is an easy workaround.

My line heights are perfectly fine, better margins would be nice I admit but it's not a tremendous issue.

Quote:
There are lots of Amazon customers who want to be able to have customization and Amazon refuses to give it to them.
The number of times you say that here has reached the level where it qualifies as spam. You have not provided any evidence of your claims. We have been through this before.

So the one thing Amazon has failed on is Cloud Collections, and it doesn't seem like a case of dumbing down just a really bad coding mishap with a side order of bad judgment that they still haven't fixed.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

So the one thing Amazon has failed on is Cloud Collections, and it doesn't seem like a case of dumbing down just a really bad coding mishap with a side order of bad judgment that they still haven't fixed.

I agree, and it seems they made a horrible problem into something 1000% worse on the Fire. I am not sure if this is the same on the android or ios since I do not user either to try to create or change collections but on the Fire it is impossible to do without a lot of frustration. Though I will say without having an eink device I might not have known how hard it is. Anyhoo, hopefully they can figure out how to fix this without me having to exchange my Fire but I doubt that will be the case.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #9
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
And the cloud BUGS still haven't been fixed. For me, it is not the collections but 2 of my apps got sent to the cloud without my being able to retrieve them. The apps were side-loaded & the Kindle store does have them BUT they are not allowed to be installed onto a Fire HDX. Hey, the apps just book readers!
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote