Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
still can't figure the links to blog etc.

I was trying to add links for my blog, FB etc to my novel which I finished in sigil.

I tried to follow Meme's advice

(Just use Insert Link as normal and paste the URL (http://yadayada/) you want the link to go to in the text box at the bottom of the Insert Link dialog.--btw, thanks meme)

and everything seemed to work just fine, but the links don't show up in the "book view" screen. And I couldn't figure out (I want to add it to the bottom of the TOC) how to add the "About the Author" file to the TOC. I noticed that the icon in the book browser was different for the About the Author from the others (all IE). And that it was xhtml and not html like the others. So 3 questions:

#1) How do I get the links to show up in book view (and work)?
#2) How do I add the About the Author file to the TOC ?
#3) Will I have to do the 'generate html Toc' to have the About the Author added to the html TOC? (I would assume so.)
I've attached a screenshot if that helps.
Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: doc sigilscreenshot.doc (128.0 KB, 156 views)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
1)
You need to actually have the words between the <a> tags that you want to show up...the href element just tells the computer where you want to go.

e.g.

<a href="http://yadayada">Put Words Here</a>

Then your link will show up as Put Words Here

2)
Sigil uses heading tags <h1, h2, h3 etc> to determine what to put in the TOC. You need to put a header at the beginning of the About the Author file.
e.g.
<h2>About the Author</h2>

or, if you don't want a header to be at the beginning, this will still show up in the TOC:

<h2 title="About the Author"></h2>

3)
Once you have heading tags on all the files you want in the TOC, just generate the TOC again and it will show up! It doesn't matter if it is an html or xhtml file - sigil plays well with both.

Also, IE is just a browser that can read html files (and not a very good one if you want my opinion ). HTML can be read by many browsers - IE, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc.

Cheers,

Last edited by Turtle91; 03-19-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Wasn't there already a perfectly good thread started for this?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Dion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
1)
You need to actually have the words between the <a> tags that you want to show up...the href element just tells the computer where you want to go.

e.g.

<a href="http://yadayada">Put Words Here</a>

Then your link will show up as Put Words Here

2)
Sigil uses heading tags <h1, h2, h3 etc> to determine what to put in the TOC. You need to put a header at the beginning of the About the Author file.
e.g.
<h2>About the Author</h2>

or, if you don't want a header to be at the beginning, this will still show up in the TOC:

<h2 title="About the Author"></h2>

3)
Once you have heading tags on all the files you want in the TOC, just generate the TOC again and it will show up! It doesn't matter if it is an html or xhtml file - sigil plays well with both.

Also, IE is just a browser that can read html files (and not a very good one if you want my opinion ). HTML can be read by many browsers - IE, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc.

Cheers,
You got me up and running with this. Great instructions. Everything worked great. Thank you so much!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

you're absolutely right

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Wasn't there already a perfectly good thread started for this?
My bad, Diap. I panicked and thought my other post would get buried somehow.