Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Book Publishers Force Down Piracy Sites

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-b...-piracy-sites/

Or in the language of the press release, "Foreign Rogue Sites That Earned $10 Million Annually from Copyrighted Content Shut Down by US Publishers and International Alliance." Where can I buy the comic book?!?! (or download it, nudge nudge)

Honestly, though, I don't see anything controversial here. As long as they're not trying to track down users and fine them eleventy-seven thousand monies per page, this action seems appropriate and properly targeted.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have no problem with pirate sites being shut down.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Good news. I wonder how many more are going to be coming down in upcoming days.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
According to the release, the shut-down is the culmination of a long investigation in which the publishers struggled to identify who ran the sites.
Since they knew that they were able to take down sites without SOPA, it strikes me as more than a little dishonest that SOPA was supported in the first place. It's like they took no drastic measures against piracy just to have an excuse to get new laws passed.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Since they knew that they were able to take down sites without SOPA, it strikes me as more than a little dishonest that SOPA was supported in the first place. It's like they took no drastic measures against piracy just to have an excuse to get new laws passed.
+1

Proponents of SOPA used the existence of Megaupload as an example for why SOPA needed to be passed...
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I'm surprised they haven't gone after that subscription pirate ebook site yet. If anything that's a lot worse than the "come and download everything for free" sites because it's attracting people who are actually prepared to pay for them. Same goes for the people selling second hand ebooks on Ebay.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I'm surprised they haven't gone after that subscription pirate ebook site yet. If anything that's a lot worse than the "come and download everything for free" sites because it's attracting people who are actually prepared to pay for them. Same goes for the people selling second hand ebooks on Ebay.
secondhand books!? i hope those thieves get shut down, just like all the thieves reading books in the public library for free. people are just supposed to know that they'll love something and confidently plunk down their $30.

i've already ripped up my vacation photos, i don't want to be accused of stealing tourism dollars one day because i posted the pics on my facebook. why should your eyeballs get a free peek of the world's wonders? buy a plane ticket, thief.

how far do we want to go with this piracy stuff because it literally can get down to my facetious photo scenario. maybe i should stop posting reviews too, my 1 star reviews of books that aren't fit for toilet paper are stealing food right out of authors mouths!

i'm being totally flippant but i can't help it. the whole 'blame piracy,not our business models stuck in the 1800s' approach of publishers just lends itself to lulz.

you have a good point with 'paid' sites. it seems to me that they should be the first targets because the operators are directly profiting from the swindle.

Last edited by xg4bx; 02-16-2012 at 05:29 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
So does this mean that, at present in US, free download sites are OK ?
Well, not OK , but you know what I mean....

That the profit motive is the deciding factor ?

Not really commenting, just interested.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-b...-piracy-sites/

Or in the language of the press release, "Foreign Rogue Sites That Earned $10 Million Annually from Copyrighted Content Shut Down by US Publishers and International Alliance." Where can I buy the comic book?!?! (or download it, nudge nudge)

Honestly, though, I don't see anything controversial here. As long as they're not trying to track down users and fine them eleventy-seven thousand monies per page, this action seems appropriate and properly targeted.
only 10 million $$$s? it probably cost publishers far more than that to get the operation going.

even if the publishers had those 10 million smackeroos that were 'stolen' from them they'd probably only pee it away giving snooki or j-wow another book deal anyway
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
sbroome
Youngsta
sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
What I find fascinating is how often these piracy sites were generating large sums of money from other people's work, which sort of gets rid of the whole "champions of information" reputation they try to create for themselves.
sbroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i'm being totally flippant but i can't help it. the whole 'blame piracy,not our business models stuck in the 1800s' approach of publishers just lends itself to lulz.

you have a good point with 'paid' sites. it seems to me that they should be the first targets because the operators are directly profiting from the swindle.
Have some karma

Paid sites are the real pirates. Making money off this sort of stuff is wrong. However file sharing sites may be closed but others emerge to replace those closed down. It is a pyrrhic victory at best.

Evolve a better business model? Nope, I doubt they could ever conceive the notion let alone implement such change.

Last edited by sabredog; 02-16-2012 at 05:44 PM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
So does this mean that, at present in US, free download sites are OK ?
Well, not OK , but you know what I mean....

That the profit motive is the deciding factor ?

Not really commenting, just interested.
I don't know about America, but over here making money from it would lift it from a civil case into a criminal case. But I doubt any of them are making anywhere near the amounts that are claimed in advertising fees.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
What about the supposedly legitimate retailers who advertise on sites that promote piracy? I think that's really outrageous.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What about the supposedly legitimate retailers who advertise on sites that promote piracy? I think that's really outrageous.
No, you got that wrong. They are doing it on purpose so that those sites can be shut down, because they are making money. And then they complain that they have to pay for advertisement and everybody just ignores the ads, and downloads the book for free instead of following the link to buy it. So they either get customers, or if they don't, they will shut the site down. A win-win situation, right?

Seriously, how can advertising on web pages make so much money? Most every web page has advertisements, I don't even see them, since I have developed a ad-filter in my brain. They blend in into the background noise. When is the last time you actually clicked on an ad? The ones on Youtube are annoying at best if you have to wait 5 seconds to skip them to actually see the movie. I get annoyed by them, I don't even consider clicking on them, even if the content might be interesting. Thank you for DVRs, so I can record my tv-shows, and fast-forward through the ads.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Mostly specific retailers don't advertise on specific sites. Mostly advertising algorithms target ads to you based on your browsing history and other data, and pay sites based on their traffic with no regard for content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Seriously, how can advertising on web pages make so much money?
It obviously works. It's the sole visible means of support for multiple industries.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote