Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre and changing ebook covers

Every time I have tried to change an ebook cover in Calibre, the new cover never shows on my kindle fire. What could I be doing wrong?

I changed the cover of a PDF document in Mobipocket Creator and that worked fine on my fire, but changing ebook covers in Calibre has never worked for me. Very frustrating. Any ideas?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
What cover is attached to the ebook on your Fire?
Recheck the metadata for the book while in calibre and "check metadata" for the covers available. If the cover you want appears and is an "Amazon" provided cover you may want to choose that cover. Transfer it to your Fire and check if it the correct cover.
I wonder if the problem could be the file type of the cover in not compatible/accepted by the Fire.
I've not had any problems getting a cover I want transferred with the book but I've had to look around online for some more obscure books to get the cover I want then convert the file type to an acceptable type.
Hope this helps.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I haven't replaced covers with PDFs but I have and do change covers on mobi and ePub books using Calibre without any problem.

Once you change the cover (via Calibre) you must convert the book, i.e., from mobi => mobi for it to be embedded in the file.

Are you doing this?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
What cover is attached to the ebook on your Fire?
Recheck the metadata for the book while in calibre and "check metadata" for the covers available. If the cover you want appears and is an "Amazon" provided cover you may want to choose that cover. Transfer it to your Fire and check if it the correct cover.
I wonder if the problem could be the file type of the cover in not compatible/accepted by the Fire.
I've not had any problems getting a cover I want transferred with the book but I've had to look around online for some more obscure books to get the cover I want then convert the file type to an acceptable type.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply. The cover that came attached (and the ones that show in Amazon) are long (as in showing the back and front book flap as one long image) so I wanted to par it down. I chose an image on my computer that is a .jpg. Does it only accept .gif files, possibly? I did convert it again afterward. I'm baffled why it won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I haven't replaced covers with PDFs but I have and do change covers on mobi and ePub books using Calibre without any problem.

Once you change the cover (via Calibre) you must convert the book, i.e., from mobi => mobi for it to be embedded in the file.

Are you doing this?
Thanks Skydog. I did re-convert it, yes. I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. I guess I'll try it again with a different file type like a .gif and see if that works.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. The Fire seems to hold onto the initial cover image it gets for a particular ebook forever. I tried deleting an ebook from the device and then reloading the modified version, but this did not help.

Note by "cover" I mean (and I assume you mean) the thumbnail that shows up in the catalog. The actual cover in the ebook does get changed, as you can confirm by opening the ebook on the Fire and navigating to the cover.

The only thing that might work is to change whatever the Fire is using to identify the ebook. This is probably the Amazon ASIN.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note by "cover" I mean (and I assume you mean) the thumbnail that shows up in the catalog. The actual cover in the ebook does get changed, as you can confirm by opening the ebook on the Fire and navigating to the cover.

The only thing that might work is to change whatever the Fire is using to identify the ebook. This is probably the Amazon ASIN.
That's exactly what I mean, yes. The cover that shows on the "book shelves" on the fire is what I want to change. Glad to know I wasn't doing anything wrong, I was so baffled by it. I'll look into seeing if I can change the ASIN, thanks very much for the suggestion.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
That's exactly what I mean, yes. The cover that shows on the "book shelves" on the fire is what I want to change. Glad to know I wasn't doing anything wrong, I was so baffled by it. I'll look into seeing if I can change the ASIN, thanks very much for the suggestion.
I would try clearing the data on the App manger.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
On a related note, I have a book that does have a cover but doesn't show a thumbnail. Is there a way to fix that?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I would try clearing the data on the App manger.
I tried clearing the cache and that did not help. I agree that clearing the data might well do the trick, but I have too many books on the Fire to try the experiment.

If anyone wants to try this, see settings -> apps -> all apps -> Amazon Kindle
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Clearing the cache didn't work for me either.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
looka
looka began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Good news finally managed to do it. Bad news is I can't really tell exactly how.
Go to:
Settings, more, applications, filter by all applications.

Cleared data for: (probably only one of this is necessary)
Amazon Kindle
Kindle Setup
Launcher

Did have to select timezone again, and go through quickstart guide, but everything else seems to be there!
looka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
bluema
bluema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Every time I have tried to change an ebook cover in Calibre, the new cover never shows on my kindle fire. What could I be doing wrong?
Maybe wrong format...

Using Calibre , You can convert any format [like epud , pdf] to "mobi" , works for my Kindle Fire , the cover art is there.
bluema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
looka
looka began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluema View Post
Maybe wrong format...

Using Calibre , You can convert any format [like epud , pdf] to "mobi" , works for my Kindle Fire , the cover art is there.
No, issue was once you did that, you couldn't download different cover and update it on kindle. You were always stuck with initial cover, even if you deleted the book and upload the one with different cover.

Luckily, deleting local data for some system apps allowed covers to be rebuilt.
looka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
JustDennis
JustDennis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by looka View Post
Good news finally managed to do it. Bad news is I can't really tell exactly how.
Go to:
Settings, more, applications, filter by all applications.

Cleared data for: (probably only one of this is necessary)
Amazon Kindle
Kindle Setup
Launcher

Did have to select timezone again, and go through quickstart guide, but everything else seems to be there!
Did anyone determine what settings need to be cleared to make the new covers display? I have the same issue. I can change them using Calibre and they are in the mobi file but don't display on the Fire.
JustDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDennis View Post
Did anyone determine what settings need to be cleared to make the new covers display? I have the same issue. I can change them using Calibre and they are in the mobi file but don't display on the Fire.
Amazon Kindle clear data seems to fix the gray cover issue.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote