Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
kaolin
GUD Proselytizer
kaolin began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Talking Pay what you want for 5 issues of GUD Magazine (+free EPUB of Issue 3)

Now's the best time to get a PDF of any issue of GUD--for whatever price you like (minimum one US cent; though we don't see a cent unless you pay more than 5 cents; and half the net of every sale goes back to our contributors. Help us bump their advances from semi-pro to earned-out pro rates? Every penny helps, and tell your friends!

GUD (pronounced "good") is Greatest Uncommon Denominator, an award-winning print/pdf magazine with two hundred pages of literary and genre fiction, poetry, art, and articles.

We're available for multiple ebook devices via Fictionwise, but we could only really set up the "pay what you want" for PDFs.

If you have any suggestions for making them more accessible, we'd love to hear them. Don't know if we'd be able to implement anything, but we're willing to try. For instance, due to feedback below, you can now *nab an EPUB of Issue 3 as a "teaser"*.

Last edited by kaolin; 11-19-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added epub note/link
kaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Not sure if I will bother with this offer as it is PDF limited.

Not sure if I would pay for a full version in another format without sampling a copy or part of of copy.

Possibly some people will 'buy' these for 1 cent, just because they can which probably means you make a loss. Would it not be better to offer them free with an optional donation button that people could use straight away or come back to after reading? People really have to get away from the idea that PDF is a valid option for ebooks.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
kaolin
GUD Proselytizer
kaolin began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
Not sure if I will bother with this offer as it is PDF limited.

Not sure if I would pay for a full version in another format without sampling a copy or part of of copy.
I really appreciate your candor.

Quote:
Possibly some people will 'buy' these for 1 cent, just because they can which probably means you make a loss.
Thankfully paypal eats the loss on those transactions. Letting it be completely free would hurt us on a couple of small counts (essentially we can call these paid circulation versus promo copies, even if we net 0 on a sale; plus we get more "buy in" on the idea; we've had a MUCH bigger interest in this sale than we have when we've given an issue away; plus we get an email address to follow up with).

Mind you, my forte is _not_ marketing. This is a by-the-seat-of-my-pants thing, and has been, so far as marketing goes, since it began.

I know our Kindle editions (for Issues 0-2 which is all we have up so far) have non-linking Table of Contents; that's towards the top of my list to fix, as well as getting issues 3 + 4 up there, and Issue 5 _out_.

Fictionwise does all our non-Kindle conversions based on a specially-formatted RTF we give them. My hope is those are better done.

And on that note:
* here's an EPUB of Issue 3.

Let me know if a different format would better suit your trial.
kaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Many thanks for the trial epub, the formatting is quite good from a brief glance, and there seems to be plenty of content. Once I get I chance to read it I may well dust off my fictionwise account and pay a visit.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote