Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Exclamation Red Light - Freeze

I just tried to turn on my DR1000S and it froze during the boot and when I plug it in to my computer a red light come on, is the battery dead or is it something else? It had a pretty decent charge left in it the last time I used it. Pushing the reset button doesn't seem to help.

What the heck is going on?!?
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Somehow my battery was totally drained, I had 3 bars when I used it yesterday but o well. After leaving it plugged into my computer for a little while it started up. I hope there's not something going on with my battery, seems to have gotten its sexy back
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
dixon
dixon doesn't litterdixon doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
Somehow my battery was totally drained, I had 3 bars when I used it yesterday but o well. After leaving it plugged into my computer for a little while it started up. I hope there's not something going on with my battery, seems to have gotten its sexy back
That happened to my device a couple of times too. I do not know how to fix it. Maybe someone else can help.
dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
There have been reports of the DR not fully shutting down even though it appears to do so. The most common cause that I've seen is having an open document when you shut down.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yes, it happens. It's an undocumented feature that randomly occurs just when you though everything was working well

A Recharge from the mains and a reset fixes it (until the next time)
I haven't noticed any particular cause that's my problem. I always close all documents down before switching off, but I still get it occasionally.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
As others have already said (just adding my agreement), it's a known problem. Sometimes it will look like it shutdown (screen is blank, etc), but there is still something "stuck" running on the device. That'll cause it to drain the battery overnight. General tips are to close any documents (some have said that removing the SD card helps to) before shutting it down.

Another thing to watch for is that the red LED means there was an error, but there is usually also a combination of green LEDs that come on too. The specific green LEDs that come on give you more information about what the exact error was. We're still trying to find out more details on what different combinations mean, but one we do know is that the red LED plus the lower two green LEDs on the right hand side means "Battery power too low for startup".
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Quote:
Another thing to watch for is that the red LED means there was an error, but there is usually also a combination of green LEDs that come on too. The specific green LEDs that come on give you more information about what the exact error was. We're still trying to find out more details on what different combinations mean

It may be extraterrestrial...

Sorry, I had to dish this up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close_encounters.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	35355  
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
junkyardwillie
Addict

Thanks for the info. I had shut it down while it was in a document so that's definitely what drained out the battery. I had a minor heartattack when it didn't turn on, my left side still feels a little fuzzy, I cursed updating to 1.7 a couple of times in the 20 minute period that I didn't know what was going on. I'm definitely closing documents down completely before shutting down, I can't take that again.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Just so you know, it's not a new bug in 1.7. This is an issue that's been known about for a while now. I want to say going back to the original firmware, but I'm not positive on that. It's pretty close though. iRex has made some fixes that made it a little better, but it still happens.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
windspeedo
Enthusiast
windspeedo began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000, Kindle 3G, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Another thing to watch for is that the red LED means there was an error, but there is usually also a combination of green LEDs that come on too. The specific green LEDs that come on give you more information about what the exact error was. We're still trying to find out more details on what different combinations mean, but one we do know is that the red LED plus the lower two green LEDs on the right hand side means "Battery power too low for startup".
I have seen this LEDs pattern, the red LED plus the lower two green LEDs, several times.

Sometime after the DR1000s shutdown automatically with one pdf open, it could not be openned again even if it has just been shutdown. After several minutes charging, and maybe several Reset press, the red LED plus the lower two green LEDs on the right hand side lit. Press the Reset again, it will start normally. Indeed, there is enough battery.
windspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:04 AM   #11
jjgonche
jjgonche began at the beginning.

Another victim of the red light here.

It was last weekend when I saw it for the first time. A message informed me that the battery was completely empty and then shut down automatically with only the red light on, but after charging, only for a couple of minutes, the battery was fully charged as it was when I turn off the device before to see the red light.

Yesterday the same scenario, message, automatic shut down and red light. If I tried to start it while charging the device freezed while booting, and the red light on top.

I had to reset it, without charging, to allow the device boot correctly and to find out that the battery was at 85%.

I use to turn off the reader with a document open, I did this since I bought it, nearly a year ago, and this is the first time I see this kind of behaviour.
jjgonche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Annoying isn't it. It doesn't happen that often (only twice to me) and I cannot work out why it happens which doesn't help from a debugging point of view either. I invariably switch off from the menu button and close the cover and yet...
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
junkyardwillie
Addict

Its hasn't happened to me again yet. I close all the docs before shutting down now, I'm hoping that will help with this bug
Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 AM   #14
plisken
Enthusiast
plisken began at the beginning.

It just happened to me yesterday -- in my case I suspect the fault is in auto-shutdown procedure when plugged in. I changed the settings and turned auto-shutdown off.

However this bug is unnerving -- I thought my DR is dead already, because after charging, it should be charged, right. It appeared quite contrary :-(
plisken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #15
jjgonche
jjgonche began at the beginning.

Hi,

I think my battery is dead. It needs only 10 minutes to a full charge and in another 10 is discharged. The device has less than a year and the battery has a very few cycles, less than 50 cycles or so, I also did a full cycle, complete charge and discharge, every time.

It's very annoying for a 600€ device :-(
jjgonche is offline   Reply With Quote