Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2015, 01:29 AM   #2041
dpbmobi
dpbmobi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Further progress, perhaps. I hope all the other newbies learn from my dealing with this. I put the KoReader file in the root, then the KOReader extensions file (koreader) in the extensions file in the root and it does look like I now have my KOReader back. It comes up a little differently than with the other launcher (KPV Booklet) but it does seem to work and the ePubs open in the KoReader interface. Amazing! Let's hope it continues.
dpbmobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:50 AM   #2042
dpbmobi

First, let me thank Eschwartz especially and knc1 for being patient and responding to my queries. For when you guys or anyone else has the time:

(1) What are .sdr files and why are books loaded in them in the documents folder? I don't seem to remember this from the older version. Do I need to worry about this?

(2) Is there a way of cleaning up the KUAL ixtab etc. stuff and making the tab more clear? Not a big deal. If the ePub reader works, that's absolutely great! But any refinements and suggestions would be appreciated. I tap on KUAL over books, go to page with $./ in the left-hand corner and there is KUAL, KOReader and Quit as tabs. I assume other programs will go there as well? Do people install the KPV Booklet as well to help with reading options?

(3) How do I reinstall the font package? Is there an update? Does this need the KUAL launcher or something else? I'll search for this in the discussion threads, of course.

Okay. That's enough for now. I will also be looking for a PDF viewer and screen-saver options, in case anyone has any good suggestions.

With great appreciation!

A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman

D.
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 02:27 AM   #2043
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
KOReader should support PDF natively, as I recall. Dunno about KPVBooklet, but I suspect fw5.6.0 may have broken it --simply because it doesn't call upon gandalf.

One of the threads here, somewhere, is the font hack -- a wrapper for all kinds of goodness that is a superset of what you could do with USE_ALT_FONTS.
The font hack will install a KUAL extension for controlling itself easily.

Likewise, see our screensavers hack -- also controlled via a KUAL extension. (You will need to have Special Offers disabled the ethical way, by Amazon.)

The Kindle looks for supported ebook files in the documents folder and all subfolders. This is totally normal.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #2044
dpbmobi

Okay. Thanks for that info, Eschwartz and for all your help. Just one more question for you or anyone else who might know. Obviously, I am going to leave my wireless off, airplane mode on, from now on. Period. But is there a hack which will disable the ability of Kindle to update or download anything unless I decide to do so? Just in case someone foolishly tries to connect it without telling me.

Also, someone mentioned a backdoor or emergency restore package that could be installed to prevent this happening again? I want to do everything possible to maintain control over the device.

And I am still going to purchase an Kobo Glo as a backup, so I'll be researching things I can do with that. Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #2045
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BackDoorLock hack

But we are in a constant fight with Amazon to keep up-to-date on the latest methods of blocking the latest updater.
Keep yourself subscribed for updates.
Advert
Old 07-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #2046
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@eschwartz-
The latest series of posts on the BackDoorLock thread gives the impression that it currently does not stop OTA updates on the PW2 (and possibly the latest FW of the PW1)...is this correct?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #2047
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Possibly. In that case, someone who owns the device should investigate the current OTA mechanism...
Old 07-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #2048
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Possibly. In that case, someone who owns the device should investigate the current OTA mechanism...
Thank you for the reply, I thought you might know for sure and save me the trip . I'll post the question in the BackDoorLock thread....
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #2049
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Here I go, depending on my memory again, but . . . .

I think the KT2 is the only device to have received an OTA update (to 5.6.2.1) while running a 5.6.x series (5.6.0) firmware.

And it still seems as if I am the only one that has a KT2 open . . . .

So I guess the world is waiting on me to come up with some answers.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:07 AM   #2050
jchtt
jchtt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
No modifications needed just manually run `jb.sh`.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jchtt: most everything will, at the very least, need to be taught how to properly ID the PW3. Hence our call for data .
Thanks! Looking forward to trying it out when I get it.
jchtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #2051
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchtt View Post
Thanks! Looking forward to trying it out when I get it.
Ah...
That is everything **other than** the jail break.
The jail break will still have to be done using the serial port.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #2052
juan_carlos
Enthusiast
juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kindle 4
New update

There is a new update for the PW2, version 5.6.5. The details are below.

The software update includes general improvements and the following new features:

A redesigned Smart Lookup makes it easier to get to the actions you want to take while reading - highlight, create a note, share a quote, and more, while keeping your favorite Smart Lookup features like Dictionary, Wikipedia, and X-Ray easily accessible. Just tap and hold on a word, phrase, or sentence to bring up Smart Lookup and swipe right to left to see the next card.
Bookerly, our new, exclusive font specifically designed for reading on digital screens to help customers read faster and with less eyestrain, is now available.
New typography and layout improvements with hyphenation, justification, ligatures, and kerning, as well as pop-up footnotes, endnotes and chapter notes. These improvements are supported in hundreds of thousands of Kindle books today, including many best sellers, with more being added every week, and are currently available for titles in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and Dutch.
Goodreads now offers personalized recommendations and author profile pages.

Has anyone tried to upgrade? I'm really curious, I'm considering to do it, let's hope the JB survives :P
juan_carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #2053
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Bookerly, our new, exclusive font specifically designed for reading on digital screens to help customers read faster and with less eyestrain, is now available.
Way to go Lab126!

You put in $$$$ and many hours to control access to the on-board copy of the firmware in 5.6.x series.
**THEN**
You ship your new font in a publicly available Update_*.bin package.

Hmm...
They all must have skipped the "common sense" class during their firmware security course.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #2054
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

No no no -- you've got it all wrong. They don't care about their IP in a general sense.
Isn't it obvious?
They just don't want anyone using it on a Kindle.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #2055
juan_carlos
Enthusiast
juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.juan_carlos writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kindle 4
Update successful

Good news guys, i just updated my PW2 to 5.6.5, and the JB survived it, everything is working so far.
juan_carlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch