Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Should voting results be hidden or visible in 2012?
All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Hidden. 17 47.22%
All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Viewable. 7 19.44%
Each month, we should alternate between Hidden and Viewable. 10 27.78%
Other (Please explain in comments). 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #106
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm thinking that by the end of 2012, people will have a better idea of what they want concerning hidden/viewable and two-tiered voting. I didn't get my way, either. Democracy is messy.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #107
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Democracy is democracy. I choose to make suggestions on the process and if people like it they may vote on it or they won't or they'll just ignore it. When a month comes by that I like the genre I'll nominate something and vote for what I want to most read at this time. If something wins that I don't want to read, I won't read it. If I was marginally interested, the voters might sway me to read it or they might not.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 05:08 AM   #108
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it might be a better approach just to check in to see what is being read for this month and decide whether I want to participate or not.

I might help some nominations get over the line and then back away from the circus until it's time to actually read something.

I've noticed the discussion threads are usually without drama, so if I'm careful I can just have fun discussing books with other readers.

Have you considered this approach? It's my new year's resolution so I can't tell you if it's been a huge improvement, but it seems plausible that the whole process will become enjoyable again if you try this strategy.
I could do that but I rarely even look in the discussion thread because I am no good at that aspect. My opinions of books are limited to "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" I just can't wrap my head around how to review a book. If you were to ask why I liked a book the only answer the pops into my head is "I liked that I enjoyed it..."

So for me the nominating and voting was the fun part and the reason I participated, I slowly realized the nominating and voting was mostly just arguing and complaining usually always started by one individual and even with hidden voting now that individual still just complains. I did read a Christmas carol this week, though it had nothing to do with the book club, just seemed like a good book to read around the holidays and I had never read it.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote