Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
So, any of you into sports?

This is one of them I'm-kinda-bored- threads. And I don't mean watching sports, I mean participating. So, what do you guys do for fun/to stay fit/just for the heck of it?

I used to be really into long distance running (the longest I did was a semi-marathon). Then I got involved in this sport:

(Not on that level, but still...) Now I barely run any more, though I'm thinking about doing a full marathon next year.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
skiing, horse showing, rodeoing

I used to do a lot of technical climbing, too old and busted up for that now
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I read books!

I don't really participate in any specific sport. I do love skiing though, but I can only do that once a year, if even then (no skiing this winter season nor last...). I also like to take bike trips (extended). Mountain walking is also a thing I love (but no mountains here), as long as I can walk upon Mother Earth (so absolutely no ropes!). And I like swimming.

But as soon as it becomes a "must", I don't like it anymore. Which is why I'm not going to any gym or anything like that. I will feel like I don't want it, but people want me to want it, which causes me not to want it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
skiing, horse showing, rodeoing

I used to do a lot of technical climbing, too old and busted up for that now
Too busted for technical climbing, but fit enough for rodeo? Must've been some climbing trips you took, or I have a totally wrong conception about how difficult rodeo is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But as soon as it becomes a "must", I don't like it anymore. Which is why I'm not going to any gym or anything like that. I will feel like I don't want it, but people want me to want it, which causes me not to want it.
For me, it's not about having to do something. I'd stop if it were. I do it because it's fun.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Avid fan of all levels of football (soccer) from the college level to the professional level. I play around a bit with my partner, but its not something we do regularly.

Mostly we run and ride bikes. Do that daily.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Mostly swimming lately since I've been mending a torn Achilles Tendon. I'd like to get back on my bicycle soon.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Besides going to work on my bike everyday: running and chess (if you allow this as a sport).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I used to run a fair amount but can't anymore as my knees can't take it.
I love to rock climb but can't afford the gear now and the people I used to climb with are no longer in the area.
I like to play catch and such with the kids though
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
I used to shoot. Last week I tried aikido - it still hurts
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Too busted for technical climbing, but fit enough for rodeo? Must've been some climbing trips you took, or I have a totally wrong conception about how difficult rodeo is

For me, it's not about having to do something. I'd stop if it were. I do it because it's fun.
I only barrel race now, used to do the wild horse race and both bareback and saddle bronc riding, only did bulls once. that's some scary sh8t there!
I also sail and swim, not as much as I would like

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
I used to shoot. Last week I tried aikido - it still hurts
and of course shooting. do that probably more than anything else
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard

If biking for transportation counts, I do that a lot. I don't have a car, and I'm faster than buses on bike (and, by the way, much faster than cars, if you count door-to-door time, as in "No bloody parking space again!").

When I was a kid, I swam a lot and am actually trained as a lifeguard, but, while I very much enjoy swimming, somehow it never clicked as much as running and climbing.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Yesterday I played tennis again after 4 years. My long time partner is my wife and when she got pregnant we just gave that up, together with the ski, both downhill and cross country. So, we started again Monday morning, in the middle of a snow storm, at 11:00. Cold like hell, lights that took an eternity to illuminate the field. New strings, new sets of balls. Whow. I just could not connect the racket with the ball. I was right there with the legs and the body, the eyes and the time were adequate, but hitting ... a farce. After a little while we tried a match. I lost the first set 6-2. Made points on her mistakes. Lost the second 6-3, but could have gone 5-4 on her service. Some little improvement. It was a lot of fun. I sweat a lot, did not hurt a little bit, except that I went into the ground in the first minute and lost some skin in the hand, arm and knee. Saturday repeat. She hesitates, she actually does not want to leave the girl with a baby sitter. But I am insisting. If we start playing again it has to be on a regular basis, or ... or what? I do not want an other partner. If I take up an other partner it will not be just for tennis. The message might have gone through.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I lift weights and run.

I also like to conquer supposedly hard exercise videos.

Finished my last day Friday!!!!

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #14
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I lift weights and run.

I also like to conquer supposedly hard exercise videos.

Finished my last day Friday!!!!

Very nice video, HT. Good for you to conquer that kind of regime.
I'm not an athletic person, more of a bookish person, but I used to run a lot; till my knees opted out. That sense of freedom is hard to replace, but now I try to bike real fast one hour a day. I will be getting back to lifting weights this spring, as I like the singlemindness of it and the sense of power.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 AM   #15
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Riding a bike is great exercise.

I am actually on my 4th day of being exercise free. Every once in a great while you have to give yourself a week off to rest.

I cant wait to get back into it though.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote