Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #15676
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now I'm reading an indie work, Untimed by Andy Gavin. I don't know if any of you are or were gamers, but this is the guy that created the games Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Dakster. He's obviously decided to start writing novels and he has two published so far. This one is a young adult, clockpunk offering.
This was fun. I don't often read a YA novel that I consider tailor made for boys, but this one certainly fits. There's heaps of time travel backwards and forwards and the narrative is contemporary - pop culture references abound. There's actually some sex scenes thrown in, but it's not too heavy and I think the YA male is probably sophisticated enough to handle some hanky panky.

I actually had myself a little chuckle here and there due to the cheekiness of the writing. Like this for example:

Quote:
I'm not sure what surprises me more - that she's a teen mother or that I just saw my first glimpse of tit.
OK - that's pretty crass. But the whole thing is written from the point of view of an adolescent boy who's probably quite oversexed, so it doesn't seem out of place.

I've got all sorts of books on my dance card at the moment and I'm trying to juggle three books at the same time:

Lolita. Yes, the time has come for one of our book clubs to finally read and discuss this 20th century masterpiece. I borrowed my paperback from the local library and it's time to get cracking.

Storm Damage by John A. A. Logan. This is an anthology from an indie author who really impressed me with his first novel, The Survival of Thomas Ford. Looking forward to see what he does with the short form.

Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 by Sean Platt and David Wright. This is the first novel (more like novella) of an 18 episode/3 season post-apocalyptic serial. I actually own all 18 episodes by patiently watching for freebies. These guys a prolific and I'm interested to find out whether they're worth reading...and one of my Goodreads groups is discussing this book for Feb.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #15677
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
I started reading Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen series.
I enjoy these quite a lot. I think I'm currently two behind, but I'll have to check to make sure. If I remember right, I foundered for just a bit in the first book, but that soon passed.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #15678
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver and it was excellent. Sort of a police procedural on crack! And I was stunned at the ending. Never saw that coming

Next up, The Panther by Nelson DeMille
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #15679
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Another of my 20p purchases: Winter in Madrid by C. J. Sansom
Now this was a good story, told well, in an interesting (if horrible) time period. And I certainly now know a lot more than I did about the Spanish Civil War, but it was never imparted as a lecturing info-dump.

If you like historical drama, I suspect you'll like Winter in Madrid a lot.

Next up: Something that's more my usual sort of thing, the latest Honor Harrington, Shadow of Freedom by David Weber.

The first few chapters seem to be filling us in on events in various places in time overlapping with the end of the previous novel, but I think we'll be moving into new territory shortly.

The cast of characters and locations has expanded considerably as the series has progressed, making it impossible, I think, for a newcomer to have any chance of starting with one of these later novels. Even for those of us who've read all the previous books it's tricky. I'm going with the flow and letting the the my memory of the various situations get refreshed as we go along.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #15680
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Just finished The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver and it was excellent. Sort of a police procedural on crack! And I was stunned at the ending. Never saw that coming

Next up, The Panther by Nelson DeMille
'The Bone Collector' was my introduction to Jeffery Deaver, and I had to read everything he wrote right afterwards. I saw the movie first, so in each book I would see Danzel Washington and Angelina Jolie as the main characters, but that didn't cause me any problem. I thoroughly enjoyed every book!

The Panther is next on my TBR list, as soon as I finish King's travels into the past to save JFK... To be honest, I'm not finding this to be a fantastic as I was led to believe. I'm 200 pages into the book and have no trouble at all putting it down. It's OK while I'm reading, just as most of King's work is, but there doesn't seem to be anything grabbing me...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #15681
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm currently reading the 3rd book - Sign of the Unicorn - in the The Great Book of Amber omnibus by Roger Zelazny. With about 20 pgs left to go, I should finish it tonight. All I have to say of the book, and series so far, is that Zelazny must have been on some hard core drugs, and was tripping big time while writing the travel portions of stories! I wonder if the Shadows were inspired by the haze around him. LOL In all seriousness, I am enjoying the story overall, even if I do get a little lost in the details every now and again. I find taking a break, by reading something else, in between books does help.

I think I'll be reading The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1) next; then Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) before returning to Amber.

Speaking of which I read The Hunger Games, for the first time, on Thursday & Friday of last week. I was quite surprised by how quickly and completely I was drawn into the story, especially considering that I wasn't so sure I would like it due to the nature of the story.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #15682
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Suzanne Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
...Speaking of which I read The Hunger Games, for the first time, on Thursday & Friday of last week. I was quite surprised by how quickly and completely I was drawn into the story, especially considering that I wasn't so sure I would like it due to the nature of the story.
to that! I put off reading The Hunger Games for quite a while because I didn't think that I'd like it, and then when I did read it I immediately followed it with Catching Fire and Mockingjay. I really enjoyed reading all 3 of them a lot!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #15683
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Speaking of Hunger Games... have you finished the first book, Stitchawl?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #15684
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
to that! I put off reading The Hunger Games for quite a while because I didn't think that I'd like it, and then when I did read it I immediately followed it with Catching Fire and Mockingjay. I really enjoyed reading all 3 of them a lot!

I was motivated to read them because one of my twins will begin reading it next week with his reading group in class. The other twin has decided to read it just because. I'm concerned that it might be too violent for 4th graders, but I really don't want to interrupt any class assignments, and they both want to read it. Plus, I can't say yes to one twin because its for school and then say no to the other, who may actually be reading similar books for her class as well.

Its a bit frustrating having young, highly intelligent kids, as reading level and maturity level easily become misaligned.

As for Catching Fire, hubby has read the entire trilogy and he suggested I take the break in between. He doesn't think I'll like this one. He's already said "no" to the twins reading books 2 or 3 at this time.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #15685
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Speaking of Hunger Games... have you finished the first book, Stitchawl?
Yes, I finished Book 1 a few days ago. I had no burning desire to just right into book 2, but it wasn't a bad read. It reminded me of the movie 'The Running Man,' but with younger characters.

Quote:
I was motivated to read them because one of my twins will begin reading it next week with his reading group in class. The other twin has decided to read it just because. I'm concerned that it might be too violent for 4th graders,
I think it would be a good read for older primary school kids. They are exposed to just as much violence in every computer game, and far more 'gore.' At least the Hunger Games makes for a bit of thought-provoking possibilities.

Stitchawl
Old 02-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #15686
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
About Hunger Games, my own thought is that book 2 isn't as good as book 1. Book 3 is somewhat better, but I didn't like how it ends. I'd expected something more dramatic...
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #15687
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I think it would be a good read for older primary school kids. They are exposed to just as much violence in every computer game, and far more 'gore.' At least the Hunger Games makes for a bit of thought-provoking possibilities.

Stitchawl

Not every video game. We've managed to keep violence to minimum in that respect as with the tv shows they watch. Movies, however, are another matter. For us, its more about moderation, then sheltering. Sex and violence are apart of the real word, we just don't want our kids inundated with or by it.

As to The Hunger Games, its specifically the violence by kids against kids that makes me uncomfortable, because I think it will make them uncomfortable. We've talked about it and they've promised to let me know if they get to a point where its too upsetting for them.

Quote:
I'm currently reading the 3rd book - Sign of the Unicorn - in the The Great Book of Amber omnibus by Roger Zelazny. With about 20 pgs left to go, I should finish it tonight. All I have to say of the book, and series so far, is that Zelazny must have been on some hard core drugs, and was tripping big time while writing the travel portions of stories! I wonder if the Shadows were inspired by the haze around him. LOL In all seriousness, I am enjoying the story overall, even if I do get a little lost in the details every now and again. I find taking a break, by reading something else, in between books does help.
And I'm done! Very interesting turn of events revealed at the end of that one. I'm quite curious as to what will come of it all.

Last edited by Nyssa; 02-17-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #15688
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
About Hunger Games, my own thought is that book 2 isn't as good as book 1. Book 3 is somewhat better, but I didn't like how it ends. I'd expected something more dramatic...
I guess it was the lack of dramatic points that made me feel the book was less than what I had hoped for. Everything was just 'too expected.'

If anyone hasn't read it but plans to, don't read the spoiler.

Spoiler:
Once they announced the drawing, I knew whose name was going to be drawn. When it was foretold that the boy gave her food, I KNEW there would be a love aspect, KNEW they would team up eventually, I KNEW food and medicine would show up, and KNEW they would both survive.

Stitchawl
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #15689
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I guess it was the lack of dramatic points that made me feel the book was less than what I had hoped for. Everything was just 'too expected.'

If anyone hasn't read it but plans to, don't read the spoiler.

Spoiler:
Once they announced the drawing, I knew whose name was going to be drawn. When it was foretold that the boy gave her food, I KNEW there would be a love aspect, KNEW they would team up eventually, I KNEW food and medicine would show up, and KNEW they would both survive.

Stitchawl
Yes, those things were very predictable (especially for the lead, seeing as its a trilogy), but the predictability didn't detract anything from it, as far as I was concerned. It became more about the "hows" & "whys" than the "whats", personally.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #15690
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Yes, those things were very predictable (especially for the lead, seeing as its a trilogy), but the predictability didn't detract anything from it, as far as I was concerned. It became more about the "hows" & "whys" than the "whats", personally.
I agree. Knowing what is coming is - I think - an intentional part of the tale; which is not that unusual for this type of story. The style of the story-telling in the Hunger Games at first annoyed me but eventually I enjoyed it. There's something slight odd, off-beat, about it that gave the story a different feel. I wasn't thoroughly impressed by the conclusion of the series, but I ended up enjoying most of the ride getting there.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote