Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-25-2007, 06:48 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now what we have on Usenet is someone using the ABC Amber Sony converter and converting from the Sony Reader posts into RTF. So now all the books taken from here and posted to Usenet are now poorly converted to RTF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's just idiotic - they'd be better off with the PG originals!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:30 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You know, the more I think about this, the more annoyed I am that someone would just take all the books we've so painstakingly created here and "dump" them on Usenet. It just shows a total lack of concern and appreciation for what we're doing here.

I am definitely not a happy bunny about this....

:behead:
Old 06-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You know, the more I think about this, the more annoyed I am that someone would just take all the books we've so painstakingly created here and "dump" them on Usenet. It just shows a total lack of concern and appreciation for what we're doing here.

When you have "made" Sherlok Holmes, it was posted in the usenet within a few days. I told you at once about it, but I was not very specific about "where". I just said that your books become famous and start to spread all over the Internet. You said you very happy about

I understand your point, though. I will make sure to point out at mobileread forum each time they post books from here.

Frankly speaking it is more convenient to download the books from here because most of the titles in usenet do not have author's name in the file name. Here you can browse by author's name.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't get it. Why not just link to the original post here? Surely everyone who uses usenet also has regular web access? Why go to the extra trouble of reposting the file somewhere else?

And the ... persons ... who converted them back to RTF .... Now that's just plain dumb.

Of course, there is a bit of irony in all of this ... I guess there are folks who will 'steal' (in the sense of taking and not giving credit) even free stuff.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #21
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's the nature of the usenet... dump anything digital that you find elsewhere, no matter whether it makes sense or not to dump it.

The only good thing is that you cannot google usenet content. People will always come here first so they'll know the source.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Welcome to being an artist in the Digital World.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #23
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
It's the nature of the usenet... dump anything digital that you find elsewhere, no matter whether it makes sense or not to dump it.

The only good thing is that you cannot google usenet content. People will always come here first so they'll know the source.
You must have not heard of indexing services like http://www.newzbin.com or gmane.org
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I think is someone who does not have a Sony Reader took the files, ran them through the convert and saved them as RTF and reposted them. Not because the ABC Amber Sony Converter is in essence, not ready for release, they lost ALL the graphics, ALL the italics, ALL the Bold. But what they have though is the corrections and formatting we've done other then what they have lost. So depending on the book and the state it was in when it was formatted, they have gained more then they have lost.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:08 AM   #25
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh I have not been in usenet for a while and yesterday I saw this lrf->rtf flood
It looks like people don't really understand what they are doing. I am sure their intensions are good, but the result is somewhat dubious at least. What is a point of it is beyond me

BTW., HarryT frankly speaking, I thought you posted Sherlock Holmes in usenet by yourself
Old 06-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
BTW., HarryT frankly speaking, I thought you posted Sherlock Holmes in usenet by yourself
No, I didn't, although I would have been happy to do so on request. I have never posted a binary to Usenet, although I am an active participant in a number of text discussion groups.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Oh I have not been in usenet for a while and yesterday I saw this lrf->rtf flood
It looks like people don't really understand what they are doing. I am sure their intensions are good, but the result is somewhat dubious at least. What is a point of it is beyond me

The intent is to give other people without a SOny Reader the ability to read the LRF books without having to have a Reader. The result is crappy copies of the work we did. Well, not all will be crappy. But the ones with lots of graphics and attributes (italics, bold, etc) will be crappy.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #28
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The intent is to give other people without a SOny Reader the ability to read the LRF books without having to have a Reader. The result is crappy copies of the work we did. Well, not all will be crappy. But the ones with lots of graphics and attributes (italics, bold, etc) will be crappy.
I understand it.

However, most of the sony flood was from free domain anyways, so it is easier to download from website without loosing any formating. A few others books that were not from here, they were posted in RTF with pics, HTML and lit formats in usenet in plentitude, so I still don't see a point of converting lrf to rtf when it is possible to download the same books but original rtf/html/lit with graphics and correct formating. It is just a waste of time.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:55 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

My guess is that a lot of the people that use Usenet don't know about PG or don't want to bother to takr the time to pick and choose and then have to format.