Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
How well does the Kindle 3 handle lots of books?

How well does the Kindle 3 handle lots of books? For example, say I download a whole bunch (200?) of free classics and load the on the Kindle. Will it slow down at all? Will it take a long time to display the book list or will it become unresponsive at all?

Is Calibre the only option for deleting books from the Kindle?

Thanks
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
The Kindle has a built-in function for deleting books (detailed in the manual). I don't think you can delete books from the Kindle via Calibre.

You can put hundreds of books on the Kindle without affecting the performance much. The only gotcha is that when you put a lot of books on at once, the system can bog down while indexing them for the search function, so its best to put them on a few at a time.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Ok thanks.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I have close to 1000 books on my Kindle now and it doesn't feel slow at all. The only speed difference I can see between that and having only a few books is when you do a search on the Kindle - obviously it takes a while longer to search 1000 books than a few.

If you're going to dump 200 books or so on your Kindle in one go, just be aware that the Kindle indexes every book as you add it and the more you add in one session, the more work your kindle has to do. I kept mine plugged in when I added books.

You can delete books on your Kindle individually but to delete multiple books I'd hook up the Kindle to my pc. You can use Calibre for adding books not sure about deleting.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The only time you will find a slow down is if you try to load lots of books at once.

Here's a page where you can download the users guide in pdf, and there are lots of FAQ's also.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
How well does the Kindle 3 handle lots of books? For example, say I download a whole bunch (200?) of free classics and load the on the Kindle. Will it slow down at all? Will it take a long time to display the book list or will it become unresponsive at all?...........

Thanks
When I first got my Kindle, I loaded all the books I already had (2000) on my Kindle. I soon found out the best way to do that was in batches of 2/300.

Although the Kindle is a sturdy thing, indexing a lot of books can make it instable.
Best is it, to leave it to indexing and charging for a hour or sometimes a bit more. Charge it, because indexing also takes a lot of battery-power.
Give it some rest. Don't try to read or make Collections during indexing.

Once the books are all loaded; it doesn't seem to slow the Kindle down, as far as I can see. Yes, of course it takes just a bit longer when searching through all these books.

When I loaded my books I had software 3.0.0 and now it is 3.0.3. But as far as indexing, I don't think the updates made a lot of difference.

happy Kindle-reading
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excuses desertgrandma and Kindleworm; I was posting about the same at the same time and with about the same answer!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to delete a book from the Kindle via calibre, particularly if it's a non-DRM book that you loaded through calibre in the first place. Why not?
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to delete a book from the Kindle via calibre, particularly if it's a non-DRM book that you loaded through calibre in the first place. Why not?
You can delete the book from Calibre.......but not from the Kindle thru Calibre.

I don't know why.......not sure i'd want this feature. But thats just me.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
I delete books from the kindle through calibre all the time. You have to change the "focus" to the kindle library along the top menu (same button you can use to eject the kindle or other ereader).
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthwyne View Post
I delete books from the kindle through calibre all the time. You have to change the "focus" to the kindle library along the top menu (same button you can use to eject the kindle or other ereader).
I thought you could, but since I'm not sure I've actually done it I didn't want to say for sure. Thanks!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
tammycravit
Enthusiast
tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tammycravit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You can delete the book from Calibre.......but not from the Kindle thru Calibre.me.
Yes, you can. Right click on a book in Calibre, pick Remove Books, and then pick Remove matching books from device.
tammycravit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammycravit View Post
Yes, you can. Right click on a book in Calibre, pick Remove Books, and then pick Remove matching books from device.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammycravit View Post
As desertgrandma has alluded to in the previous response... that is a BIG mistake... isn't it?

Doing that option will delete the books from both your Kindle and your Library. Maybe I'm wrong and the aboe would work, but I'd be careful. I think the discussion in this thread is more about removing books from your Kindle but keeping them in Calibre.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
desertblues
Home for the moment

Also, in case you do accidentally remove a book.
Make a backup of the content of your Kindle on a regular basis.
I did need it when I fooled around with my collections.