Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Kindle Size

It continues to amaze me how amazon can take pictures of the kindle and make it look so big. The standalone pictures of the kindle 2 make it look significantly larger than the kindle 1, however in the kindle 1 versus kindle 2 pictures the size difference is negligible with the exception of the thickness. The kindle 1 pictures make the device look much bigger than it really is. Just curious if anyone else feels this way or is it just me?
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
MG, which K1 vs K2 photos are you referring to?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Theres a noticable size difference. You can tell just by looking at the cases made for the k2 compared to the k1.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
it looks very thin to me
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I guess what I'm referring to is how the stand alone pictures always seem to make the kindle appear bigger than it really is. The new one definitely appears thin, but I remember how everyone commented about how big the first version was from the pictures. When I finally got to hold one in person it didn't seem anywhere near as large. Maybe it's just me, but it seems they need to work on their photography to put this thing in its proper perspective.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
The pictures do make it look big. I expect this is the combination of a few things; first, the white color just makes it look bigger. Second, the buttons no longer break up the bezel area the way they did on the K1. Third, it actually is big; it's the same width as the K1 but it's half an inch taller, mostly around the keyboard area where the keys are also smaller looking (accentuating the size issue).

That makes it more than an inch taller than the Sony Readers and also wider, though now the Kindle is pretty much the same thickness.

My latest theory is that Amazon probably could have made the Kindle a little more compact, but chose not to because the bezel and area around the keyboard make the Kindle 2 much more comfortable to hold. Whether they can market that as a feature I don't know - because this is a device that people order over the internet (at this point) rather than pick up in a store, it's hard to market the feel of the device instead of the looks.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I agree, the first time I saw it I thought it was HUGE, they really need some kind of size reference in their pictures.

Last edited by KindleKat; 02-10-2009 at 02:31 PM.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
MG, which K1 vs K2 photos are you referring to?
I don't know which photos he means but there's a Sizemodo over at Gizmodo.

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Seeing them side by side, I gotta say, the K1 looks more sleek and well designed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Seeing them side by side, I gotta say, the K1 looks more sleek and well designed.
I personally have never felt K1 was ugly. But if I did, I really don't see the K2 as somehow more beautiful. But that's just me.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:

BOb
I think the side view changes that a bit, though.

The K2 comes in at 0.36" vs. K1 at 0.7".
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Seeing them side by side, the screen on the K2 looks {relatively} smaller. Note that the holder of the K2 must have accidentally hit a key when turning it for the camera. I also like the key layout better on the K1.

Does that mean I wouldn't adjust to a K2? No -- just that I don't feel compelled to leap out and buy a replacement for my K1 at this time.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think the side view changes that a bit, though.

The K2 comes in at 0.36" vs. K1 at 0.7".
"sleek" doesn't equal thin

sleek = having an elegant, streamlined shape or design

Look at the Kindle 1... the buttons flow from the screen. They fit right in... the corners are tapered. Now look at the K2... the buttons just seem to be glooped on the side. It looks like a Gen 3 iPod with keys instead of a click wheel. There is alot of extra nothingness around the thing. The wedged shape of the K1 and the rubber back does make it very easy and comfortable to hold (well for me anyway).

I'm not saying the Kindle2 is bad... the Kindle1 just looks like there is no wasted space. And the large sidelength buttons do make it easy to turn a page when reading pretty much no matter how you are holding it. Some even say they have turned the page with thier nose. Try pusing a Sony's page turn button with your nose.

BOb
Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Some even say they have turned the page with thier nose. Try pusing a Sony's page turn button with your nose.
Yep, the original Kindle is the favorite reading device among canines, by far!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Yep, the original Kindle is the favorite reading device among canines, by far!

And fowl... our beaks make great page turners. BTW: There are quite a few mutts on this forum.

BOb