Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
SONY PRS-505 Advocate

Yes I bought one. No it isn't perfect. I'm thrilled with the device, it's legibility, portability and available content. The 100 free classics (from a choice of more than 1000) almost pays for the device and the list of available books is mostly satisfying. I wish Sony would get rid of the proprietary nature of denying PDF DRM and Mobi-pocket e-books but I also appreciate that BBeB tailors the text to be optimized on the reader. PDF however doesn't read well on the device unless it can be saved to a large print font (14 is ok). I bought it as an e-book (not an MP3 player and not to access internet). It light and portable and holds dozens of texts. I'm a satisfied customer who wonders why SONY doesn't advertise this product. I first saw the device when I noticed someone else with one. Where-ever I go to read, I get questions on the device. But I've yet to see it actively advertised.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Glad you like your new Reader! I've seen ads online and in airline magazines. I'm sure it's in other places also, but it's probably a very modest ad budget for Sony.

Interesting that you saw someone else with one and then got one. I wonder how often that happens. I don't generally read very often around other people, so I haven't seen too much reaction except for people I've specifically made a point to show it to. It would be interesting to know how much that kind of word of mouth can lead to a sales explosion. Especially as prices start to drop...
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
I don't generally read very often around other people, so I haven't seen too much reaction except for people I've specifically made a point to show it to. It would be interesting to know how much that kind of word of mouth can lead to a sales explosion. Especially as prices start to drop...
The very first day I had mine I was reading it on the commuter train to work and the conductor tapped me on the shoulder to ask me about it. I haven't had another comment since, though. I even read it at work, when I have time to kill and nobody has asked about it. I suspect they know it's just another gadget, because I always seem to have new gadgets.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
I travel a lot and I like to read in coffee shops during down time. Normally I'm reading at home. But when I am out with the device just sitting and reading I will get one or two people come up to me and inquire "what is that?" Prior to seeing someone with a SONY device, I didn't know they existed. Of course I wasn't actively searching for one, but after seeing the 505 I was impressed. The 100 free classics clinched the deal for me since I favor classics and poetry. Between Gutenberg, Mobileread and Manybooks.net, I have enough reading for a lifetime and it's all in BBeB or LRF format. For me SONY has hit a homerun. If it accomodated Mobipocket, I'd be able to buy from an array of sites and it would be as close to perfect as an ereader product could be, for me, because the inventory would be almost limitless.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.gotwald View Post
I bought it as an e-book (not an MP3 player and not to access internet).
I may sound like an idiot, but here it goes. Does the PRS-505 connect to the Internet some way?

I know you can convert HTML to LRF, but is there a browser built in? Wireless?

I bought a PRS-505 and use it daily. I read the manual. I never installed the S/W, as I'm still stinging from Sony's last root kit fiasco. I use mine to read ebooks, play MP3, and view pics (reading material here too.) I only copy the material in non-proprietary formats via SD card.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
I may sound like an idiot, but here it goes. Does the PRS-505 connect to the Internet some way?

I know you can convert HTML to LRF, but is there a browser built in? Wireless?

I bought a PRS-505 and use it daily. I read the manual. I never installed the S/W, as I'm still stinging from Sony's last root kit fiasco. I use mine to read ebooks, play MP3, and view pics (reading material here too.) I only copy the material in non-proprietary formats via SD card.

Andy
The proprietary formats work much better on the Reader. The Library software is harmless (by all reports). There is no wireless capability.(It would have been listed on the box!) Thus the small form factor and excellent battery life. You can load files from your computer (directly or thru an SD card).

Andy, I see you're new here and have some basic questions. There is a lot of the info on the 505 (and Reader models in general). Spend sometime browsing the forums, and I bet you'll get answers and a lot more info that you didn't thinkto ask about!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:15 AM   #7
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Andy, I see you're new here and have some basic questions. There is a lot of the info on the 505 (and Reader models in general). Spend sometime browsing the forums, and I bet you'll get answers and a lot more info that you didn't thinkto ask about!
I asked the question about the PRS-505 based on a very misleading post about it that implied a web browsing ability. Because I've only begin to use the PRS-505, and because of the mass misinformation here about it, I like to phrase corrections as questions for now. I'm glad the post was clarified.

Before posting, I have used my PRS-505 for several days, read the manual, read your wiki page, searched through the forum posts, & read hundreds of posts here.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Huh. I recall someone suggesting adding wireless capability with a special SD card, but it seems to lack any interface. Then again, there are still lots of posts I haven't read yet. And I've been going through many more now that I have a 505 and am also not sure of all the features and tricks!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
I asked the question about the PRS-505 based on a very misleading post about it that implied a web browsing ability.
Our "star developer", Kovid, has written a tool which converts an entire web site into a document for the Sony, intended for use on things like News web sites. Perhaps that's what you may have been reading about?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
WookieReader
WookieReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iliad 2nd Ed/iPhone
Ditto new user.....

I would echo the above comments.

Just purchased my Sony PRS-505 and spent the day working on the PDF issue.

1. I researched iRex, Gen3, Kindle, etc., and read all the proprietary forums nightmares on customer service.

2. Delighted with Sony. SonyStyle store gave 30 day return/refund slip from Christmas Day, and offered $24 extended, or $44 2-year accident/replacement - GET THIS.......read many substrate eLink issues regarding ease of breakage.

3. Running MAC Intel Quad-core with Parallels shell running Windows XP. No problem with sync, install, buying books etc. Very seamless Sony software and intuitive updates.

4. Just downloaded from this site the PDFLDF program for conversions of PDF files. Works like a charm, and I am not a programmer or developer. New version has great interface.

Much of this is anecdotal, but I have been pleased with the return policy, ease of use, warranty available, visplex eLink screen and upgraded refresh on page turning.
WookieReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
peewee2008
peewee2008 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Courious Onlookers Buying Their Own SONY Readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post

Interesting that you saw someone else with one and then got one. I wonder how often that happens. ... It would be interesting to know how much that kind of word of mouth can lead to a sales explosion.
Bob,

Since I take my SONY PRS -500 with me wherever I go, several people have asked me about the product. I'm always happy to give a sales pitch for SONY.

Once, while waiting for my turn in the barber's chair, a young guy sitting next to me asked about the product and said that he would send one to his father who apparently was in a war zone. He said he was now sending boxes of books to his father and thought sending the SONY Reader, pre-loaded with a lot of free books, would make more sense.

Several of my students after leaning about the device said that they would order their own.

And a colleague of mine is waiting now for her SONY Reader after having examined mine.

Of course, they'll all be getting the newer PRS-505 model.

I think SONY may owe me (us?) a bit for the sales pitches.
peewee2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Sony is such a big company with so many products, often I'll see a Sony product in the store for the first time and I've never heard of it before.

Quote:
Yes I bought one. No it isn't perfect. I'm thrilled with the device, it's legibility, portability and available content. The 100 free classics (from a choice of more than 1000) almost pays for the device and the list of available books is mostly satisfying. I wish Sony would get rid of the proprietary nature of denying PDF DRM and Mobi-pocket e-books but I also appreciate that BBeB tailors the text to be optimized on the reader. PDF however doesn't read well on the device unless it can be saved to a large print font (14 is ok). I bought it as an e-book (not an MP3 player and not to access internet). It light and portable and holds dozens of texts. I'm a satisfied customer who wonders why SONY doesn't advertise this product. I first saw the device when I noticed someone else with one. Where-ever I go to read, I get questions on the device. But I've yet to see it actively advertised.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #13
Linda
Enthusiast
Linda began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Sony advertisement

Quote:

Last weekend there was a Sony flyer in with all the other ads. I think there was a whole page on the 505.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:05 AM   #14
coldcell
coldcell began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Huh, kinda makes me want to read out in coffee shops more, if it'll help get the word out.
coldcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #15
ChronoStriker1
ChronoStriker1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
The only reason I know about it is my mother bought a silver one but wanted a blue one. She got the blue one and showed it to me asking if I can help her with it. I though that it would be great with manga (and with comiclrf it is ) so I bought the silver one off of her.
ChronoStriker1 is offline   Reply With Quote