Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Travelling with Kobo

I'm about to take my first trip with my Kobo. This is the reason I wanted one in the first place: I have 10 unread books ready to go (plus the 100 classics should I finish all of mine, or find some of the free/89 cent specials not to my taste).

Of course, now it occurs to me that it is a single point of failure. Lose it or drop it (on the ground or into the pool) or get sand into it and there go all my reading plans. Anyway. I'll be careful! So other than my charging cord with an AC/USB plug, a baggie (to read beachside), and a paper clip in case of errors, what else should I be thinking of ahead of time?

Should I want to add a book, I'm out of luck while traveling, right? There is no direct web-to-Kobo transfer, even if my hotel has internet computers with USB. And my iPhone is no help unfortunately. (well I can use the Kobo app on my iPhone to download and read books in a real emergency; but reading on it is somewhat tedious)

Thanks!
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Wet Coast
Wet Coast began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original & Wifi
I just returned from Europe after taking my Kobo with me. I took all steps that you are taking. And yes, you are correct - should you want to add a book, you're out of luck. I'm waiting for Kobo to add more smartphones to their BT compatibility list so when I'm travelling, I will have the option of adding a book if I have to. The BT feature is why I purchased the Kobo instead of the Sony. Good luck!
Wet Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
In this day and age, I'm finding a netbook to be an essential travel tool. That's what I'd use for downloading.

That being said, when I went to France in April just after I bought my Kobo I made sure it was loaded up with enough books to keep me busy. It's not that hard really, and I had no need to download any new books with the netbook.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
robandcurtis
robandcurtis began at the beginning.

Talking You can add a book anywhere

If you have access to a computer with Internet, a USB Cable and your KOBO, you can add a book at any time. Plug in the KOBO and it will appear as a removable drive. Just drag and drop your ePub file.

Now, finding an ePub file may not be that easy, but there are lots out there.
http://www.gutenberg.org has lots in this format, all for free; download, drag, drop and you are done.

If you can get Adobe Digital Editions installed on the PC you are using, you can borrow books from your local library no matter where you are in the world.

Finally, if you just want some backup, if you have some ePub format books that you want to have add later, save them on line in your Google, MSN or whatever account you use. You can then retrieve them and add them as needed.

Remember, you are only "tied" to your home PC if you allow the manufacturer of your reader tie you there
robandcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandcurtis View Post
If you can get Adobe Digital Editions installed on the PC you are using, you can borrow books from your local library no matter where you are in the world.
Aha! I will bring my library card number with me then and remember http://www.gutenberg.org . Thanks!
Quote:
Finally, if you just want some backup, if you have some ePub format books that you want to have add later, save them on line in your Google, MSN or whatever account you use. You can then retrieve them and add them as needed.
I don't have a large collection of ePubs since I just got the Kobo. It already has 100 classics, many of which I would willingly read. Everything I have fits on the Kobo (no SD card).
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #6
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post

Should I want to add a book, I'm out of luck while traveling, right? There is no direct web-to-Kobo transfer, even if my hotel has internet computers with USB. And my iPhone is no help unfortunately. (well I can use the Kobo app on my iPhone to download and read books in a real emergency; but reading on it is somewhat tedious)

Thanks!
Upper left corner of the device: SD card slot. There you could
insert the card with epub books you find. The question is how
to put books on the card.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote