Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

another all in one that isn't bad for the price

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-4-3-16-9-TOU...3%3A1|294%3A50

If the link is bad just log in to ebay and search for PMP, when you see a 16:9 touch screen 8 GB for $70 delivered. That is the link. I bought one, and when folks at work saw it they ordered a couple more. Only TXT files, but decent battery life and screen. Minor issues like always having to set the background at bootup, but decent bookmarking and font changes. Does great on many video formats as well. Takes micro SDHC cards as well.

Now - to be honest, the devices I have set up for reading include multiple REB1200s, multiple REB1100s, a (dead) Heibook, rocketbook, Palm TX, Dell X51V, Argosy ibook, a couple of Sony PDA's (because of the replaceable batteries when on month long campouts), Nindento DS with 4GB of txt files, Nintendo GBA that holds a few dozen texts (excellent battery life), and a sony PRS500 that died the day after the warranty ran out (no big loss). As someone who cannot go to sleep without reading......

Anyway, for the price this is not bad. Not a primary reader, but a great backup. For reference the Jetbook is now my primary reading device when on the road. I like the screen MUCH better than the current crop of e-ink screens. (I returned a kindle2).

Sorry for the long post, but it does give you a reference to why I like this device.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What is the screen resolution?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
What is the screen resolution?
The ebay description mentions:
4.3 inches 16:9 TFT WQVGA Display: 480x272 dot matrix 1600k-true color

It also says the ebook reader part can read txt files and has bookmark functions. It's probably like that MiBook a while back from QVC (Home Shopping Network), but in a smaller form factor.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
This actually looks like what I want. I'm hoping you can answer some questions!

1. Does it remember your place in a book when you turn it off and back on again?

2. How do you turn pages in the book?

3. What is your estimate on batter life? -- no big deal to me, I don't mind charging every day to be honest -- just curious.

4. Is 4GB the largest MicroSD it can accept?

For any help!
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Hey! Come back! I'm going to buy one of these things right after you answer these questions
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
exvaxman
Connoisseur

Sorry - had to work 90+ hours this week to get a project out the door.
Will answer questions sometime tomorrow (saturday - depending on wether I'm in here again or not).
Old 05-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Exvaxman, do you have any information about battery life and type of battery?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
exvaxman
Connoisseur

Sorry for my delay in answering

Rolling out a system at work that was specc'd at 12+ months and we were given four months. You really don't care if the gas/electric company can respond in case of emergency do you? Well we're going to find out soon. Major push the last two weeks.

Anyway:
1) the bookmarks and screen settings get lost between shut downs. Slightly annoying to me but not a show stopper
2) Battery life is incredible. To check last week I started up the divx & xvid movies, screen brightness 80% and left it at my desk. 6 hours later it showed battery was down 50%. Haven't had time to drain it under controlled circumstances.

Bad:
1) sometimes slow to respond to the touchpad
2) no recovery disk
3) Loaded in the complete "Dilbert" CD from the collection sold at Borders. Some got corrupted in the internal memory. Can delete and reload, just a little irritating.
4) Sometimes you have to hold the power slider to get it to start
5) slow boat from China shipping
6) earphone jacks (yes, 2) are very tight.
7) TXT only. Seller made the mistake of saying PDF support. WRONG!
(I can handle txt only, just not misinformation)
8) Manual is worth squat. (good: everything is obvious)

Good:
Solid, well built unit. Video playback is great. Decent contrast for book reading. Fits into a shirt pocket. 8gb micro SDHC compatible. People who have seen it at work know the limitations after playing with it have said that they have ordered them as well. I ordered a second for the kid when we go on long car trips to keep him occupied. $5.99 office depot case for MP3 players fits perfectly.

Amusing:
Brought it into the local Apple store over a lunch break. Was comparing it to the touch. Had to tell two of the apple sales folks where to look on Ebay. They couldn't believe the price. They claimed that they were ordering units.

Astounding:
There is a similiar unit being sold that has a built in GPS FOR THE SAME PRICE. I just have not seen an English version yet.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Thank you so much, exvaxman. Check out my other threads for a couple of devices very similar to this one. They have larger screens and higher resolution and I believe they also keep your bookmarks after a reset.