Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
E-reader app for a PA-2400U?

I've just been given a small stack of old Casio PA-2400U's.
They're WinCE 2.0 palmtops with SH3 CPU's, and a reasonable size screen.

I don't suppose anyone happens to know of an e-reader app for them? RTF is allways possible (once I find one of my CF cards, anyway), but..

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 09-05-2009 at 05:03 AM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
You might want to try getting your hands on an old version of mobipocket. That might work. Same with microsoft reader. You will probably have to search deeply on the net, but you will find them.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Last year I wrote a beginner's guide. Unfortunately your device is so old that most of what it says doesn't apply. I think your best option is probably Mobipocket. The SH3 version can be downloaded here:
http://www.mobipocket.com/soft/reade...er_hpc.sh3.cab

How many of the devices do you have? Would you lie to trade for some CF cards?

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-05-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
I've got a couple of Sharp Moblion 4500s and two Clio 1050s that run Mobipocket very well on both WinCE 2.x and 3.x. I'd have to poke around for the unlock key for the older versions so that you can use all of the features. Mobipocket released it many years ago since these versions are obsolete.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Aha, yes, thanks everyone. Mobipocket reader it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
How many of the devices do you have? Would you lie to trade for some CF cards?
Eight. But, only one powers on right now. I'm going to dismantle the other seven and see what parts are good today. And thanks, but no - I have a number of CF cards, including a 32GB one which works fine with it. (Well, it sees 2GB but there we go...)

Also, they're so old that they need a watch battery backup not to lose their memory, and that's dead - perfectly fixable, but heh. I'm also unsure how well the batteries will last, but each one has another "battery" which lets you put 2 AA rechargeables in instead, so that's not a big problem.

I do admit I was surprised how good the screen was, I wouldn't be bothering otherwise...

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 09-06-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Here is a link to various versions of Mobipocket

You'll probably want Version 4.8 in the archive section.

And here is a link to the code to "unlock" or register version 4.x Another link to another code, this is the code I use.

This is provided by a Mobipocket support team member and is legal to distribute.

Michael

Last edited by 250 Coupe; 09-06-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
plunderydoo
Enthusiast
plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: WinMobile, Hanvon N516 w. OpenInkPot, eLyricon EBX-500, Iphone 3GS
maybe the ubook-reader run that device. At least there are ce 2.11 versions.

http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_down.html

cu
PL
plunderydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
250 Coupe
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plunderydoo View Post
maybe the ubook-reader run that device. At least there are ce 2.11 versions.

http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_down.html

cu
PL
Thank you PL, that looks pretty cool. I've bookmarked the site and will give it a try the next time I fire up one of the handhelds.

I also had to look up the book used in the screen shots. It's from Gutenberg.org and is The Return by John Joseph McGuire and H. Beam Piper. I'll be reading the epub version on the Nokia 770 with FBreader.

Michael
Old 09-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
DawnFalcon
Banned

The PA-2000U is 2.0 unfortunately, the W varient is 2.11, but... ><