Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 04:48 AM   #91
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Finally took the time to upgrade my iPad 3, and of course what I'm noticing at first is the negative stuff: some minor changes that I'll have to get used to. Nothing really annoying except one thing: navigating between apps via double pressing the iPad button has become almost unusable.
I find that the Home button is sometimes a touch slow, but I mostly navigate between open apps with a four-finger side-swipe. Have you tried that?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:01 AM   #92
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I decided to go ahead and update my jailbroken iPhone 5. Lots of nice new features and improvements. New bug fixes but the update also brought about one major problem to my iPhone. My iPhone is noticeably much faster. Transition animations are smoother and speedier. But the major issue that I've noticed is battery life is much shorter now
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #93
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Finally took the time to upgrade my iPad 3, and of course what I'm noticing at first is the negative stuff: some minor changes that I'll have to get used to. Nothing really annoying except one thing: navigating between apps via double pressing the iPad button has become almost unusable. I think the double press is not working as it used to, I need to press faster for it to work, but that may be my imagination. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I am NOT imagining the huge lag between the double press and the appearance of the screen where you see the apps, and the equally huge lag when I press on an app to bring it to the foreground.
Is this only happening to me? Is my iPad 3 becoming too old to upgrade?
The main reason I replaced my iPhone 4 was because the home button was no longer very responsive. It was frustrating so I know how you feel. Therefore I try to minimize using the home button. I use the four-finger side swipe to move between apps too like meeera suggested. Also I use the four-finger up/down swipe to open/close the multi-app screen that double-click shows.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #94
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Anyone with an iPad Air experiencing freezes? It has happened in multiple apps, usually shortly after the app is launched, where the app freezes and becomes unresponsive for several seconds to minutes. Almost more annoying than the reboots because you never know how long it will last. Sometimes the app will crash as soon as it becomes responsive, but not usually.

Also been having the camera app freeze on my iPhone 4s when switching from shooting mode to review mode.
No freezes on my iPad mini Retina, but at least one app is now very slow to open. The app was always a bit slow, but it has slowed down even more. But i don't think it is the fault of iOS 7.1. I think it is just not a well engineered app and I don't think it has been opyimized for 7.1 yet.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #95
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I decided to go ahead and update my jailbroken iPhone 5. Lots of nice new features and improvements. New bug fixes but the update also brought about one major problem to my iPhone. My iPhone is noticeably much faster. Transition animations are smoother and speedier. But the major issue that I've noticed is battery life is much shorter now
Perhaps the update reset some settings that optimize battery life. I don't see any noticeable difference in battery life on my iPhone 5 running 7.1 as opposed to 7.0. Did you update to 7.1 from 6.x.x or 7.0.x?
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #96
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Perhaps the update reset some settings that optimize battery life. I don't see any noticeable difference in battery life on my iPhone 5 running 7.1 as opposed to 7.0. Did you update to 7.1 from 6.x.x or 7.0.x?

From 7.0.4. I may do a factory reset to see if it fixes the short battery issue.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #97
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
From 7.0.4. I may do a factory reset to see if it fixes the short battery issue.
I sometimes just power mine off then back on and it seems to clear up battery issues. Normally I have great battery life, but perhaps once a month it starts draining very fast. Powering it off then back on solves the problem. After that I drain it down to less than 20% battery charge then fully charge it.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #98
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I did notice that the update (on the iPad, at least) turns on Bluetooth, which will certainly shorten battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #99
Gazella
Wizard

iOS 7.1 released

Quote:
I sometimes just power mine off then back on and it seems to clear up battery issues. Normally I have great battery life, but perhaps once a month it starts draining very fast. Powering it off then back on solves the problem. After that I drain it down to less than 20% battery charge then fully charge it.

I'll try that before the factory reset. Hope it helps because I really don't want to reset my iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I did notice that the update (on the iPad, at least) turns on Bluetooth, which will certainly shorten battery life.

True. All the updates turn Bluetooth on. I always turn it off right after. I never use Bluetooth anyway. I'm wondering if I can switch AirDrop off. As I'm guessing that also shortens battery life.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #100
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
I'm wondering if I can switch AirDrop off. As I'm guessing that also shortens battery life.
Yes you can. Open up the Notification Center, click AirDrop, and then Off.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #101
Gazella
Wizard

iOS 7.1 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yes you can. Open up the Notification Center, click AirDrop, and then Off.

You mean Control Center? I did that, but I thought it didn't work because the option is still there. I assumed if it's off, it wouldn't be.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #102
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I'll try that before the factory reset. Hope it helps because I really don't want to reset my iPhone.

True. All the updates turn Bluetooth on. I always turn it off right after. I never use Bluetooth anyway. I'm wondering if I can switch AirDrop off. As I'm guessing that also shortens battery life.
Here are some tips from zdnet. Good luck!
http://www.zdnet.com/poor-battery-li...ps-7000027348/
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #103
jswinden
Nameless Being

One of the biggest battery eating culprits is any app that uses cellular to phone home all the time. I suggest going to Settings --> Cellular and scrolling down to the Use Cellular Data For list and turning it off for apps you don't won't to use it.

Note: Some apps require a data connection to work, and if WiFi is not available they will use cellular. I personally turn of the cellular data for most apps, especially those I rarely use when away from WiFi. If I'm out away from WiFi and I want to use one of the apps that require data and that I turned off cellular data for, I simply toggle it back on for a few minutes while I use the app.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-29-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #104
Gazella
Wizard

iOS 7.1 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Here are some tips from zdnet. Good luck!
http://www.zdnet.com/poor-battery-li...ps-7000027348/

If there's an article about that then I guess a lot of people are experiencing battery issues which makes me wonder if it's a bug. If so, then the only solution is for Apple to release an update. Anyway, thanks for the link.

Quote:
One of the biggest battery eating culprits is any app that uses cellular to phone home all the time. I suggest going to Settings --> Cellular and scrolling down to the Use Cellular Data For list and turning it off for apps you don't won't to use it.

Note: Some apps require a data connection to work, and if WiFi is not available they will use cellular. I personally turn of the cellular data for most apps, especially those I rarely use when away from WiFi. If I'm out away from WiFi and I want to use one of the apps that require data and that I turned off cellular data for, I simply toggle it back on for a few minutes while I use the app.

Thank you for that. I'll have to go through my apps.

I just want to try every possible solution before doing a reset.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #105
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
If there's an article about that then I guess a lot of people are experiencing battery issues which makes me wonder if it's a bug. If so, then the only solution is for Apple to release an update. Anyway, thanks for the link.
Probably not. Every smartphone, regardless of the OS it runs (iOS, Android, Windows, BlackBerry), tends to eat the battery charge if you don't correct its attitude. Too many apps mine for data and want to run in the background even if you don't know they are doing so. If you set proper limits for the apps and set the settings to match your needs, you can control battery usage. So it is just the nature of the beast known as smartphone.