Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
kmj1
kmj1 began at the beginning.

Device: B&N nook & Sony PRS-300
Exclamation Help on which version Kindle to Buy...K2 or KDX?

I am wondering which Kindle to buy. A K2 or KDX. Which will be easier on my eyes and easier to read. I will mostly read novels, maybe a few tech manuals (ie. How to books), Maybe a newpaper, but mostly books. I will use mostly at my house and take it to work in a briefcase. Occasionally out to a park or bookstore. Also, the yearly vacation. I have a hard time grasping the size of the DX vs. K2. Any help or thoughts appreciated as this is my 1st ereader and I plan on having this one a few years. Thanks.
kmj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I have both. I highly recommend the DX for reading - esp. if you are concerned about eye strain. The large screen has really helped my tired
old(er) eyes - esp. since I do most of my reading at night after working with PC screens all day. Also, depending on the font size you find comfortable, the DX can markedly reduce the frequency of page turns needed while reading. I also enjoy being able to see an entire page (look back up at previous paragraphs, etc.) while using fairly large font sizes.

The K2 is approx. the size of a paperback, the DX the size of a hardback book.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Right now, you can buy the k2 refurbished for $219, free two day shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

They did have the dx reburbished for $399, but I see they are gone

Both come with full warranty, and return policy. You cannot tell they aren't new.

Good luck with whichever one you choose.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I have owned both in the past, I'd go for the DX IF you usually read in bed or at a desk. It's heavier than the Kindle 2 and some people talk about arm strain with it. It's not the best device for holding up in front of your face (for some people). Since you are reading on a park bench at times, go to the Amazon site and look at the weight of the DX, then try holding a similar weight like you would a book and see if your arms can take it.

I have no problem with the weight, but some people do.

But in most other respects, the DX is a superior device in my books. Both devices fit into a briefcase easily.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I personally have DX because I often read pdf-s and a larger screen is important then. Kindle 2 is smaller and easier to carry around (it is more convenient for commuters and such).

Here are some links to help you decide:

http://ireaderreview.com/2009/05/05/...x-vs-kindle-2/

http://kindledx2009.blogspot.com/200...kindle-dx.html

http://blogkindle.com/2009/06/kindle-dx-vs-kindle-2/

http://geekmalaya.com/wp-content/upl.../kindle-dx.jpg

Last edited by osnova; 12-15-2009 at 09:20 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Here's an image that might make it easier for you to imagine the differences in sizes between the K2 and DX.

daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj1 View Post
I am wondering which Kindle to buy. A K2 or KDX. Which will be easier on my eyes and easier to read. I will mostly read novels, maybe a few tech manuals (ie. How to books), Maybe a newpaper, but mostly books. I will use mostly at my house and take it to work in a briefcase. Occasionally out to a park or bookstore. Also, the yearly vacation. I have a hard time grasping the size of the DX vs. K2. Any help or thoughts appreciated as this is my 1st ereader and I plan on having this one a few years. Thanks.
Have you seen a reader with a 6" screen? Is that too small? Do you have lots of DRM/password free PDF you want to be able to reader? If you find a 6" screen too small or have lots of unprotected PDF, I would suggest going with the DX. The DX is heavy though so it may not be all that great to carry around.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
The screen on the K2 is too narrow for me. However, the price of the DX is probably not worth the extra real estate for most people. Amazon has little competition at the larger size....
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I thought about getting the DX but I like portability and the K2 fits that role the best.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have both and there are a couple of things I don't like on the DX. The most important (to me) is the navigation buttons are only on the right side (I'm a lefty). Somewhat minor but annoying to me is the weight. A bit on the heavy side.

PDFs especially technical PDFs are easier to read on the DX. The larger size makes the DX less portable but I can carry it a medium to large purse with a cover. It's very important to keep both the DX and the K2 protected because the screen is very fragile. This is true for all eInk devices.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
jament
Enthusiast
jament doesn't litterjament doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
I have both a Sony 505 and a DX and I much prefer to read on the DX. I travel with it quite a bit as well as reading each night in bed and don't have an issue with the extra weight. It does have a lot more versatility when it comes to loading PDF's (and having them readable). The larger screen is very nice for PDFs and fewer page turns in other books.
jament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
For a complete portable package, K2 is the way to go. The DX is huge in comparison. Still thin, but nowhere near the size of a paperback book any more. It would be OK in a briefcase, in bed, or at home. But other than that, it is big.

You can make the fonts on the K2 very big. It will require more page turns than on a DX of course, but turning pages is not a big deal.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I had a K2 and then traded up to the KDX in August and I love the KDX. I carry mine around with me nearly everywhere I go in a padded messenger bag that was designed for either a small laptop or netbook computer. It's more than enough to hold my KDX in a leather M-Edge cover with a few slim notebooks and my iPod Classic in the main compartment.

The KDX is great for general reading, but really shines when you want to read a full size pdf!

Last edited by Connallmac; 12-17-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Correction of punctuation!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I also have both. I do like the DX's large screen but when I am reading in bed, it's just too heavy. My wrists start to ache from holding it. And it's far from what I'd call 'portable'.

You need to decide which is more important to you. If you want something you can carry in a purse/briefcase, go with the K2. It's light and easy to carry around.

If you want something to read technical documents with a lot of pictures, or magazines, or newspapers...go with the DX. That larger screen is wonderful.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I also have both. I do like the DX's large screen but when I am reading in bed, it's just too heavy. My wrists start to ache from holding it. And it's far from what I'd call 'portable'.

You need to decide which is more important to you. If you want something you can carry in a purse/briefcase, go with the K2. It's light and easy to carry around.

If you want something to read technical documents with a lot of pictures, or magazines, or newspapers...go with the DX. That larger screen is wonderful.
I should probably make note when I say that I think the KDX is great for general reading that I am a large man. I stand about 6'3" tall and played offensive and defensive tackle in high school. I think that probably makes the KDX a better fit for me, as I don't find it heavy to hold at all. In fact, while helping my mother with her Kindle 2 over Thanksgiving it (the k2) felt too small for me.

Last edited by Connallmac; 12-17-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: clarification
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote