Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-20-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
Noirtier
Noirtier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Still safe to upgrade Kobo firmware if on Windows 8.1?

Hi all,

I've only just noticed that Calibre 6 has dropped compatibility for Windows 8 (or just support? Is it possible to make it work?). Apart from being very disappointed by that in general, my immediate concern is regarding maintaining support for the latest Kobo firmware. I see there was a new firmware release in July that Calibre added support for in version 6.2.1. So if I am stuck with version 5.44, is it safe to allow my Kobo Forma to update its firmware to the latest version, or will this mean that it will no longer work with Calibre?

Thanks!
Noirtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I was using 4.33.x most recent FW on a Libra with 5.44 on Linux till this week.

But at the minute the 4.32.x seems the most stable. I went back to that on the Sage.

Now 6.3.0 Calibre on all my Linux.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:54 PM   #3
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
https://www.technipages.com/download-orca-msi-editor

In the past I've used successfully that tool in order to have Calibre run on Windows 8, and it would run without any issues. Not sure if this is still possible/advisable.
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirtier View Post
I've only just noticed that Calibre 6 has dropped compatibility for Windows 8 (or just support? Is it possible to make it work?). Apart from being very disappointed by that in general, my immediate concern is regarding maintaining support for the latest Kobo firmware. I see there was a new firmware release in July that Calibre added support for in version 6.2.1. So if I am stuck with version 5.44, is it safe to allow my Kobo Forma to update its firmware to the latest version, or will this mean that it will no longer work with Calibre?
There are no issues with using the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the driver with any released version of Kobo firmware. What the future will bring is another matter. I don't really expect there will be any issues in the near future. But, there probably will be something eventually. The bigger issue is new devices. They won't be supported by 5.44. There is a workaround, but, we'll see what happens when a device is released.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:53 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!
The problem is that Qt6 does not work with Windows 8.1. You need at least a late enough version of Windows 10 or Windows 11 to run Qt6.

Windows 10 is still available as a free upgrade if you want to run Calibre 6. It's still a free upgrade.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/u...indows-10-free
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:55 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post

In the past I've used successfully that tool in order to have Calibre run on Windows 8, and it would run without any issues. Not sure if this is still possible/advisable.
Even if you get Calibre 6 to install on Windows 8, it won't run because Qt6 is not compatible with Windows 8. That's on purpose by those maintaining Qt6.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Windows 10 is still available as a free upgrade if you want to run Calibre 6. It's still a free upgrade.
It's not free. It's only sometimes sort of free. You need a particularly valid Windows key. Not all valid Windows 7 keys work. Fortunately my laptop's built into the BIOS key was really a Windows 10. It failed for the version of Win7 that came with the laptop. You also may need a utility to read key from bios (A Linux Live USB stick) or a program to decode a key from the Registry (Lenovo offers a vbs text file that works when run).

It's only a free download.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-21-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:46 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's not free. It's only sometimes sort of free. You need a particularly valid Windows key. Not all valid Windows 7 keys work. Fortunately my laptop's built into the BIOS key was really a Windows 10. It failed for the version of Win7 that came with the laptop. You also may need a utility to read key from bios (A Linux Live USB stick) or a program to decode a key from the Registry (Lenovo offers a vbs text file that works when run).

It's only a free download.
It is a free upgrade. About a year ago, I used the download to upgrade Windows 7 and I had no problem at all. It's no different to the upgrade that came from Windows Update.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:21 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Microsoft says it's not a free upgrade for all legal installs of Win7 and 8 and that you may have to buy a licence.

I've seen that myself three times. But I'd go by what the supplier says on their public website, not by your or my small experiences.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:32 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Microsoft says it's not a free upgrade for all legal installs of Win7 and 8 and that you may have to buy a licence.

I've seen that myself three times. But I'd go by what the supplier says on their public website, not by your or my small experiences.
And I've posted links to reputable tech sites that also say the Windows 10 upgrade is free. Microsoft would rather you went with Windows 11 if possible.
Old 11-13-2022, 05:42 AM   #11
Noirtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There are no issues with using the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the driver with any released version of Kobo firmware. What the future will bring is another matter. I don't really expect there will be any issues in the near future. But, there probably will be something eventually. The bigger issue is new devices. They won't be supported by 5.44. There is a workaround, but, we'll see what happens when a device is released.
Thank you David, that sounds like exactly what I need to hear! For the benefit of others I have managed to find that option now under:
Preferences → Plugins → search for "Kobo" → Kobo Reader Device Interface... → Customise plug-in → Extra customisation → Attempt to support newer firmware (last check box list)

So to clarify – now that I have enabled that option I can safely update the firmware on my Forma for the time being without any risk of it breaking compatibility with Calibre 5.44? But is there any risk of this happening with any future Kobo firmware update? And if so, would I be able to roll-back the Kobo firmware? Or should I rather check somewhere that it is still supported before going ahead with a firmware update?

Many thanks again!
Old 11-13-2022, 05:44 AM   #12
Noirtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post

Thanks for the link. From the comments it appears that that is a very outdated version of that software, and I think this would be very much a last ditch option for me to try if I was really stuck. But good to know thanks in case it ever does come in handy.
Old 11-13-2022, 05:57 AM   #13
Noirtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that Qt6 does not work with Windows 8.1. You need at least a late enough version of Windows 10 or Windows 11 to run Qt6.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/u...indows-10-free
Thanks for the info. I had looked into this issue when Calibre 6 first appeared and my understanding was that Windows 8.1 is no longer a supported platform with the release of Qt6. This is rather different to it not working in practice. For example, I also use Caesium, which also uses Qt6, but does support Windows 8.1+, and works perfectly on my system.

And I have no interest at all in changing my system to Windows 10 thank you very much.
Windows 8.1 is faster, far more efficient, and significantly less problematic overall. In the longer term I am more likely to move to Linux. But I expect to get quite a few more years service still from my current setup.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:45 AM   #14
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Quote:
Thank you David, that sounds like exactly what I need to hear!
Unfortunately David will not be able to answer this question as he sadly passed away a few days after that post.
There is a news thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348925
You are probably best off reading the Kobo Reader forum threads to see what others are saying about your model of reader and the firmware upgrades.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=223
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre 6, kobo firmware, windows 8, windows 8.1