Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Softrooted nook & password protected Calibre server

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I got myself a new toy (nook) last week, and softrooted it.

I run a calibre content server on my PC that is accessable from the internet. Because of this, it is password protected.

The problem is that no matter what I try, I can't find a way to login to the server. I have tried the B&N web browser, the NookBrowser, Trook. None of these apps seem to allow me to enter a username and password, therefore giving me a 401 unauthorized access.

I have tried using the url http://<username>:<password>@<mydomain>:8080/ to no effect.

Does anyone know of a way of accessing a password protected calibre server from the nook? Or can give alternative suggestions of accessing my library over the internet on my nook?

Thanks.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
zenrhino
zenrhino began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
401 Forbidden on Nook (no way to authenticate)

Hi,

I'm having the same problem -- 401 Unauthorized error.

I'm very sure my server is running, on the same port I'm trying to access and that port forwarding is not an issue. It appears that the browser in the Nook WiFi does not allow for authentication by the method that Calibre server uses.

Questions:

1. Is there any way to change the authentication method?
2. Is there any way to run the server naked (unauthenticated)?

Lastly, the authentication dropdown lists the server username. This should be considered a bug as it greatly diminishes server security.

Love the product, much respect.

-ZR
zenrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess I should update this post eh...?

Basically, I still haven't been able to use a web browser to access calibre.

However, there is now an updated version of trook that can handle authenticated calibe servers. Look for the craftycoder version of trook.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Just turn off the password on the server.
Do you really care if someone else grabs a book from it?
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
Just turn off the password on the server.
Do you really care if someone else grabs a book from it?
For me personally, I have my calibre server accessible over the internet. I also have a static IP address and a domain name. Basically, I don't want any old person to come along and download books from my library, especially since most of them are copyrighted...

My ISP would not be terribly impressed if I were to be providing free ebooks to all, and someone found out
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
dblack
dblack has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: ebookwise 1150; Aluratek Libre Ebook Pro; nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Hi folks, I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

Does anyone know of a way of accessing a password protected calibre server from the nook? Or can give alternative suggestions of accessing my library over the internet on my nook?

Thanks.
Howdy folks. Here's how I set up my library to be accessible from any of my computers anywhere.

I got myself a free dropbox account (www.dropbox.com, one of the most useful apps I've come across in a long time!). I installed calibre on all of my computers (both Mac and linux, I don't use MS Windows), and pointed them all to the same folder on dropbox. When I ad a book from one machine, it's available to all others. Much cleaner than trying to run a server. Also, my nook is not softrooted.

Cheers!
dblack is offline   Reply With Quote