Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #46
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JvdW View Post
If you don't mind someone watching you when you do it next time there are programs which allow remote help. I might be willing todo that.

Regards,

Joop
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #47
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Although I have a good memory, it is reeeeally short so I put together a Word doc of the steps you all provided (in terms I can understand), with a few tweaks I added, so if and when I have to deal with this, I would have to do some industrial strength digging around to find this post or pestering you all again. Anyone care to review it to make sure I didn't put down something stupid?

Setting up Multiple Libraries for Calibre

1. Open Calibre.

2. If working with existing libraries, drag each library to the desktop and replace with a temporary empty folder named with the name of the original library.

3. In Preferences, select Advanced, then Configuration Directory.

4. Close all other Calibre screens.

5. Move up one level to the Application Data folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Setup\Application Data on my present computer).

6. Locate a configuration folder named Calibre, make a copy of it, and rename to Calibre 2.

7. Repeat Step 5 for each additional library. Example: Calibre 3, Calibre 4

8. Minimize the Application Data folder.

9. Right click on desktop, click on New, then New Text Document. Rename to calibre (library name).bat (substitute the actual library file name for library name; do not use the parentheses and file extension). Example: caibre e-Books.bat

10. Repeat Step 7 for each library.

11. Right click on the first .bat file, select Edit, then copy and paste the following into the first .bat (batch) file:

set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\(file path to appropriate configuration folder)
calibre

Substitute file path to configuration folder with the actual file path. Example:

set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\Documents and Settings\Setup\Application Data\calibre
calibre

12. Repeat the above for each batch file, substituting the correct file path to each configuration folder. Example:

set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\Documents and Settings\Setup\Application Data\calibre 2
calibre

13. Open each .bat file. When calibre opens, select Preferences and in General, change the location of the e-books (top field) to point to the corresponding library. Close calibre when changed.

14. When all .bat files have had the locations changed in Preferences, restore any previously existing libraries from the desktop to their original locations (delete the temporary folder in each location first).

15. Open each library, drag the associated .bat file and drop in the library. After relocating the .bat file but before closing the library, “drag” the .bat file to the Quick Launch Menu and the Start Menu Button. That will create the necessary shortcuts. The original calibre shortcut may be used instead of the first.bat shortcut to access the original library (the one created when calibre was installed).
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #48
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Bumpity bump
Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 AM   #49
online.person
online.person began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is this so complicated?

I do not know if I am missing something as have not read through complete thread.

But I found very easy way to have multiple library.

Check for the icon - where it shows "x books", click on that icon, you get three options:

>>> Use Existing library at new location > This one is to switch between library
>>> Create an empty library at the new location > This one create a new library - you have to just select the folder where you want to new library
>>> Move current library to new location > I hope this is for moving your current library to new location.

I have tested option 1 and 2 and that works like breeze.

Thanx Kovid for such a nice application and that to free. This is great...

(I am using version 0.7.10)
online.person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:32 AM   #50
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That feature has only just appeared. Before that it was nowhere near as easy.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 AM   #51
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by online.person View Post
I do not know if I am missing something as have not read through complete thread. (I am using version 0.7.10)
The only thing you're missing is knowledge of where the change log is for this software. If you read the change log you would have seen that this button was introduced in 0.7.9 and perfected in 0.7.10.

Quote:
Release: 0.7.9 [17 Jul, 2010]

New Features
  • A new toolbar button to choose/create different calibre libraries. Be careful using it if you also use custom columns.

Release: 0.7.10 [23 Jul, 2010]

New Features
  • Store column layout, saved searches and user categories separately per calibre library. This makes it possible to easily switch between libraries with different custom column setups
You might also note that the thread you commented on ran from 7-2-2010 to 7-10-2010 a full week before the button was introduced and 2 weeks before the button was perfected. Before this it was possible but not always intuitive.

I'm glad to see someone have a chance to test this feature and report back on it.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-26-2010 at 04:55 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #52
Lianne
Nameless Being

Deleted

Last edited by Lianne; 08-14-2010 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Did not mean to post here
Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #53
pckopp
Enthusiast
pckopp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, eReader
From multiple libraries to one

I am using 0.7.14 so I can switch libraries easily. I don't want to.

I have my library. My friend sent me his much smaller library. There are some overlaps in books, but the big difference is the metadata. All of his have tags, covers, series info, etc. And all of his entries are spelled and capitalized correctly.

How do I merge parts of his library into mine and preserve all the good metadata?

Searching didn't reveal anything but if there is a thread that covers this, by all means point me to it.

Thanks!

--
Phil in South Carolina
pckopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #54
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use Save to disk and then Add Books to import the saved files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #55
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp View Post

How do I merge parts of his library into mine and preserve all the good metadata?

One way to do it is to simply import via the "Add Books" button all the books in your friend's library that you want in yours. You can select multiple files at once when you import.

Multiple libraries is really a fantastic new feature of Calibre. I have started to use it for a second library to store books in that need a lot of cleaning up or formatting help but I don't have time to do it now. Thanks, Kovid, for continuing to make Calibre better and better.

Edit: Ooops -- I see Kovid beat me to it with the answer.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #56
pckopp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
One way to do it is to simply import via the "Add Books" button all the books in your friend's library that you want in yours. You can select multiple files at once when you import.
I'm missing something.

I can "Add Books" to my heart's content.

What I can't do is "Add Books and bring the metadata along". I don't see an option that says "this book is already in a calibre library, bring all the info about it with you when you add the book".

@PatNY - When you finish 'cleaning up' a book from one library and add it to your good library, do you have to download _again_ the cover, the series info and everything else. Or can you just transfer it along with the books(s)?

Thanks again. Sorry to be dense.

Last edited by pckopp; 08-14-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #57
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use save to disk first, then import the saved book files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #58
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
To fill this in a bit - by using Save to Disk, Calibre creates an .opf file (assuming you haven't turned it off). That file has all the normal metadata (custom metadata is not in there, at least it wasn't yet when I last checked - but will be eventually).

When you use Add Books with Calibre, the first thing it does is check to see if there is an .opf file in the folder with your new book, and if there is, it reads that file and uses the metadata therein.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #59
pckopp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use save to disk first, then import the saved book files.
Finally!

In Preferences | Add/Save | Adding books tab

"Read metadata only from file name" is un-checked.

In Saving books tab, these are checked:

"Save cover spearately"
"Update metadata in saved copies"
"Save metadata on OPF file"

I suspect the OPF file is the critical one here.

Thanks! Now it does what I want.

What's the old saying? No matter how slick your interface is, your users wish there was less of it.

Thanks again for a great tool!

--
Phil in South Carolina
Old 08-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #60
pckopp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
To fill this in a bit - by using Save to Disk, Calibre creates an .opf file (assuming you haven't turned it off). That file has all the normal metadata (custom metadata is not in there, at least it wasn't yet when I last checked - but will be eventually).

When you use Add Books with Calibre, the first thing it does is check to see if there is an .opf file in the folder with your new book, and if there is, it reads that file and uses the metadata therein.
Got it. Thank you. I did have the opf file turned off.

Glad to see another IPAQ user. My wife loves hers and so far has resisted my offers of a Kindle. A friend gave her an aftermarket battery and it lasts almost 6 hours. Pretty cool.

Thanks again to all who have contributed to this great tool.