Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
New York Public Library Dream Raffle 2010

Although I still pay taxes to NY state, I haven't lived in NYC for several years. However, the NYC public library system will always be fondly remembered from my days as a teenager. Racks and racks full of books, ready to indulge the curiosity of a young reader. Marcel Proust may fondly remember madeleines, but I'll never forget the smell of old books too big or heavy for my small hands.

Each year the NYPL stages a raffle to raise funds:

http://connect.nypl.org/site/PageSer...am_raffle_2010

Since I have not disappeared from their mailing list, they continue to send me raffle tickets each year. This past month, I received 19 $5 tickets (an odd amount due to the printed sheet they're on). No contribution is required (by law), but, I'll send them some money anyway. First prize is a trip to Panama. Two other prizes are a Kindle K2 and an iPod. One would think that next year, a Nook, iPad, iRex, Sony, or Android-based reader could also be offered. Sony, which has some offices in NYC, should take a hint and donate one of their new ereaders to the NYPL library system.

Here's a toast to the health of the library systems throughout the world. To these institutions, I'll forever be indebted.

Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I didn't realize they did a raffle fundraiser.

And yes, they should totally offer some e-reader devices, since they have a robust catalog of eBooks via Overdrive. I love being a member as a NYS resident (even if I am 9 hours across the state), although I'm a little bummed that they are instituting an expiration date on their cards now. Mine expires in July, and it will be awhile before I can renew it in person. Luckily, the local library has added Overdrive, too, but the offerings are not as big as eNYPL.

simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote