Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 02-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
PDA Upgrades - When And How

BargainPDA has a new article out with some good information if you are wondering about upgrading your trusty PDA.

With a desktop computer, you can do all kinds of upgrades without replacing your computer. All kinds of memory, disk, replacement cards and specialty devices are available for even the novice to do a home upgrade. Not to mention the availability of USB devices that can be added.

But for PDAs, the story is a bit different. While some upgrade of functionality can be done with add-ons like keyboards, screen protectors, GPS modules or memory cards, the only real method of upgrading is to buy another PDA.

And be sure to keep an eye on some of the great sites out there to see what's going on in the industry. My personal favorite is Sammy McLoughlin's Palm Addicts, which is focused on Palm PDAs, and has frequent updates. It is a very fun read. A few other nice sources are www.palminfocenter.com, www.brighthand.com, www.pocketpcthoughts.com. Many more are out there also, but this will get you started if you are "on the hunt!"

My own eye is on that Dell x50v and the Palm T5, but I might wait for the next generation of devices because I'm still very happy with my tiny pocketable Toshiba e405.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Kudos for a great example of why device convergence is always the wrong decision.
Advert
Old 02-09-2005, 02:46 AM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Nice find Bob. Do you think it is important to upgrade your PDA as often as a regular desktop? I don't think so. Look at Palm OS devices for instance. Have they really changed over the past year or two? They are still running the same OS, perhaps adding a few more features, but essentially they are the same devices and you can do the same thing with them (not more nor less) than you did in the past.