Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #481
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Hmm do it to a public domain book then send it to me via PM and I will look at the internals and try to figure it out for you.
I don't see a way to attach to a PM. Here is a book, an epub I just downloaded from Gutenburg, and converted to mobi in Calibre, which is how I usually do things (unless it's an Amazon book, then I convert to epub, then back to mobi). I tested it on my PW, no spaces.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Abbott, Jacob - - Cleopatra.mobi (280.7 KB, 77 views)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #482
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
FREE @ Amazon & B&N (Nook Friday Freebie):

Valkyrie Rising - Ingrid Paulson--------Amazon US------B&N

-Currently published by HarperCollins/HarperTeen (Oct. 2012)
-YA Paranormal w/some Romance

Quote:
Nothing ever happens in Norway. But at least Ellie knows what to expect when she visits her grandmother: a tranquil fishing village and long, slow summer days. And maybe she'll finally get out from under the shadow of her way-too-perfect big brother, Graham, while she's there.

What Ellie doesn't anticipate is Graham's infuriating best friend, Tuck, tagging along for the trip. Nor did she imagine boys going missing amid rumors of impossible kidnappings. Least of all does she expect that something powerful and ancient will awaken in her and that strange whispers will urge Ellie to claim her place among mythological warriors. Instead of peace and quiet, suddenly there's a lot for a girl from L.A. to handle on a summer sojourn in Norway! And when Graham vanishes, it's up to Ellie—and the ever-sarcastic, if undeniably alluring, Tuck—to uncover the truth about all the disappearances and thwart the nefarious plan behind them.

Deadly legends, hidden identities, and tentative romance swirl together in one girl's unexpectedly epic coming-of-age.
-It was also posted on the Children's/YA thread by mitford13

Last edited by kg3; 09-13-2013 at 08:31 AM.
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #483
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
EDIT:
This blog is super-helpful for researching eReaders. I used it a lot when I was trying to decide what my first one would be.
Thank you for the link! No Nooks here in Canada and I may have inadvertently fallen for the Kobo Aura. My husband even laughed at me asking if I really wanted to give Kobo more money. :/

Quote:
I have some sad news to report. I haven't seen it mention here but Harlequin Blaze and Temptation author Cara Summers/Carolyn Andrews passed away a few days ago. I just saw Maggie Shayne's Tribute to her friend on Facebook.
Very sad! I enjoyed her Blaze books.
NixLapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #484
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
For regency fans... Shannon Winslow's For Myself Alone: A Jane Austen Inspired Novel is $0.99

http://www.amazon.com/For-Myself-Alo.../dp/B007PWINR8
NixLapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #485
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
RIP Cara Summers/Carolyn Andrews

For those who shop at Kobo, there's a new, multiple use 50% code Sept50 exp end of the month.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #486
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Elliot View Post
I'm getting such a sense of deja vu about Paperwhites. I could have sworn they have been available for ages - obviously they haven't and I'm confusing them with something else - but this is spooky.
To ask an obvious question - what is the advantage of a PW over the previous Kindles?
Frontlighting built into the e-ink reader. Makes it possible to read in the dark, basically, without an LCD or clip-on light.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #487
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
*thoughtfully eyes massive ePub collection that's been building for years*

Yeah.... no. Not happening.
I convert mine as I add them to the Kindle. Not all at once.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #488
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
I'm buying mine with my own money I made using Swagbucks. So mine doesn't have a say in this but mine would say the same thing. Usually I go to my mommy who will send me the money for my bday or xmas then hubby gets miffed because he feels she is trying to out do him so he pitches in more money. This year that gift I will use this method on will be a laptop. I'll buy my own Kindles.
Oh, I have the money saved but I'd rather spend my personal spending money on books. This way it comes from the gift funds
Old 09-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #489
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Free @ Amazon & DRM FREE @ Kobo

Shadows (A Lux Novella) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Lux Series 01 (Aliens YA Romance)
Publisher: Entangled Teen (February 20, 2012)
Audible is $2.99 if you can stand the nasalily whiny sounding narrator.

I'm telling you this is fate! Was I not saying the other day I was going to give this series a try and then BAM! Here the first book in the series goes free!

Okay I just bought Book One to go with it used a 50% off coupon and got it for $1.67 I'll wait and see if I like it before buying the others and I will need some help from our Kobo Code Angels next trivia game.
FYI, This is a .5 novella, and AFAIK this story is not about the main characters of the series. It's the only book in the series I haven't read yet. I just bought it, and just returned it because it's free now! LOL
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #490
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok...I just sent some books via Calibre to my PW, but told it to send AZW3 instead of mobi, and my formatting is there! So evidently, that is the solution! Yay! I'm going to remove the epubs and the Koreader hack!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #491
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Oh, didn't read far enough before my last reply, but there you go kg3, replied to you above also! [Re: Lux series]

BTW, supposedly there's a new Kobo code 50% and is unlimited use?!
50% off coupon Sept50 - expires end September

Sorry I double posted the code, libraryaddict already did [thankyou libraryaddict], see this is what happens when you're in a hurry reading a long thread and you post before you finish!

Last edited by Blue2u; 09-13-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #492
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
FREE again @ Amazon (previously free on Aug. 6, 2013), and now also free at Kobo and Smashwords:

Amazon US-----Kobo (noDRM)-----Smashwords (noDRM/Multi-format)

-This is Book #2 in the Gaian series, all books are written as stand alone,
but it's optimal to read in order (see below - Author's note)
-Janet Miller also writes under the name Cricket Starr.
-She's published with Ellora's Cave, Samhain, Red Sage, Cerridwen Press, etc.
-Science Fiction/Futuristic Romance

Quote:
Free @ Amazon

Beloved Enemy (Gaian Series) by Janet Miller
Futuristic Romance
4.5 Stars TOP PICK! - Romantic Times Magazine
Author's Note: Promises To Keep is the first book written in the
Gaian world and serves as an introduction to the world and the characters.
It should be the first novel read if possible.
Quote:
Description:

In the far distant future, during a war that no one really wanted, two starfighter pilots become stranded on a deserted jungle planet. Both have skills the other needs for survival and they decide to work together rather than fight.

But there is more than that between them. Earthforce's Lieutenant Meagan An Flena turns out to be Gaian Pilot Kavath Terrell's sexual match. Kavath attaches to Mea and she's attracted to him, but neither of them want to commit to a relationship.

At least that's what they tell themselves!

But as they work together for survival, both soon realize that what they have in common just might be more important that what keeps them apart.
Quote:
From the Author:

Promises To Keep is the first book written in the Gaian world and serves as an introduction to the world and the characters. It should be the first novel read if possible.

Although all books are written as standalone stories, an optimal reading order of the novels is:

1. Promises To Keep
2. Beloved Enemy
3. Beloved Traveler
4. Beloved Stranger

A Promise Made is a novella that should be read after Promises To Keep.
The Girl In The Box is a short story that can be read either before or after Promises To Keep.

Last edited by kg3; 09-13-2013 at 12:55 PM.
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #493
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Ok...I just sent some books via Calibre to my PW, but told it to send AZW3 instead of mobi, and my formatting is there! So evidently, that is the solution! Yay! I'm going to remove the epubs and the Koreader hack!
On my Kindle both sideloaded and emailed to Kindle version of the book you posted have the spaces between paragraphs. I don't know why you are not seeing them. Have you tried switching fonts? My first guess would be a hack doing it. My second would be a factory reset might be needed to fix it as something has gone wrong. My third guess is a custom font could be causing it or maybe even a book with some weird coding. My last guess would be active content of some type but it displays just as it should on my Paperwhite.

Oh I didn't use Calibre to load the books. I did it the old fashion way. USB and Email.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #494
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Oh, didn't read far enough before my last reply, but there you go kg3, replied to you above also! [Re: Lux series]

BTW, supposedly there's a new Kobo code 50% and is unlimited use?!
50% off coupon Sept50 - expires end September
You can get the Lux series at Kobo with that coupon or wait for a better one but it much cheaper than buying the Kindle version.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #495
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
On my Kindle both sideloaded and emailed to Kindle version of the book you posted have the spaces between paragraphs. I don't know why you are not seeing them. Have you tried switching fonts? My first guess would be a hack doing it. My second would be a factory reset might be needed to fix it as something has gone wrong. My third guess is a custom font could be causing it or maybe even a book with some weird coding. My last guess would be active content of some type but it displays just as it should on my Paperwhite.

Oh I didn't use Calibre to load the books. I did it the old fashion way. USB and Email.
Blossom, thanks. It could be any of those, yes, since my PW has many hacks. As well as a side loaded font. I am happy now, since the AZW3 format is working the way I want it to, so now I can use my Kindle again! Yay! I may have to factory reset at some point, because I know there are leftovers of this and that, here and there.