Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Sony trade-in program - questions

Updated 1/25:
Got my eCoupon today. Like kleinbiker below, there was no status update, just the coupon via email. And it was for the $50 orginally quoted, not the weird $12 that showed up on the mailing form.

+++
New question - how long does the trade-in typically take?

I sent my device on Jan 3. The Sony website for tracking the status estimated that they would receive the device by the 10th, and evaluate it by the 15th, but neither has happened yet. The "tracking" number they gave me on the label is internal to Sony, not a USPS tracking number, so I have no idea where my Opus is. It was going from NY to MI via First Class, so even Parcel Post should have arrived by now! And I'm getting impatient :P

Original post
++++
I submitted my original Bookeen Opus for the Sony trade program. The website estimated a $50 value, and I figured, why not? I'd like WiFi and the library checkout integration is something I've wanted in e-Ink. I printed the label, put the Opus back in its box and sent if off last week.

I was cleaning up my downloads folder and found the PDF file for the label - when I opened it, the voucher below the address label says the Opus is valued at $12! I totally missed that last week, and would never have sent the Opus for that pittance. I would have saved it for my daughter when she's older and can read chapter books.

Does Sony usually skew so wildly in its estimations? What has been your experience?

My other question is (assuming I get something closer to $50):
Can you use the eCoupon towards accessories, or just the Reader? The T1 is back to $129 again on Sony.com, but several other sites have it at $99. Since the accessories are rarely on sale, I'd get more bang for my eCoupon if I could get those.

Last edited by simplyparticular; 01-25-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: new question 1/17
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I traded-in a Sony 505 and received a $50 credit. I don't recall if voucher stated the same $50 amount that they actually gave me.

The eCoupon you receive can only be used towards the purchase of a Reader or any bundle like the Reader + Cover + Wall Charger. The eCoupon will specifically list the items that are valid. I think you can only purchase from Sony.com or a Sony retail store.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Customer service at sony.com told me last week I could use e-coupon for anything except gift cards. Hope they were right since I want it to get accessories. Wouldn't have traded pocketbook reader otherwise.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I hope they do honor it for accessories, since I'd rather buy the reader for cheaper.

I have no choice but to cross my fingers and hope they honor the $50 estimate, which still shows when I enter the tracking number in the status checker. There doesn't appear to be a way to get the Opus back.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Last year the trade-in credit was good for the device only, but they were very explicit about that. They also advertised the trade-in credit for any ebook reader in any condition, so maybe it's the same this year. I'd have faith.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The web site said a 500 was only valid for recycle. But when I went to a SonyStyle store I was able to trade it in no hassle at all for the full $50.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The web site said a 500 was only valid for recycle. But when I went to a SonyStyle store I was able to trade it in no hassle at all for the full $50.
Seconded. I traded in my PRS-505 for a $50 credit towards the T1. The Sonystyle site says the 505 is worth $12 in credit, but, that wasn't the case when I traded it in at a Sony store.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
You could also call Sony when you have your coupon and ask them to match the other pricing ($99). They just might.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
simplyparticular
Guru

bump for new question - figured it was better than creating a new thread
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
kleinbiker
kleinbiker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
It took about 5 weeks for me to get the trade-in eCoupon. The was no update in the status during that time, nothing saying it was received.
kleinbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Well, I got my coupon and they did honor it for the cover. Rep said at first it was only good for reader but then they "converted" the code after I protested.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Back in December (on the 18th) I sent in my 505 Reader for the credit. I misread the details and purchased a T-1 for the $99 then. After getting the coupon code, I found that it was only good for the Reader+accessories bundles. I called (several times) and each time they offer to get back with me over an exchange for $50 credit towards accessories. It is now almost two months and the original coupon is going to expire and I still have not seen the new credit. I feel really burned as they promised they would take care of me on this.

UPDATE 2/23/2012
I got the $50 gift card in the mail after several emails back and forth with the department manager. I'm glad its over. I'm happy again with the service and have re-gained my confidence with Sony. All in all it started out because I didn't read the offer correctly. They were really nice in settling this for me... I have learned my lesson... read the instructions/offer CAREFULLY.

Last edited by solitarywolf; 02-23-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: updating information
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For those that do not know, the trade-in program is over.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote