Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Nobel Prize winner writes on-line book

Elfriede Jelinek, Nobel Prize laureate in Literature in 2004, is writing an
on-line novel (in German).

The novel is titled 'Neid' ('Envy') and can be found on her home page
http://elfriedejelinek.com/, under 'Aktuelles' in the left column.
Five chapters seem to be expected, but the experiment might also
be terminated early: two chapters are available so far.

I believe the novel will not be published by ordinary channels, and
there is a mention in a second-hand source that it may be free to be
copied for private use (which would exclude reformatting it for, say,
Sony Reader and making it available for others).

Last edited by ath; 04-21-2007 at 02:21 PM.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Wow! And to think Miller and Lee are...

already doing this with their latest "Korval" story, "Fledgling". And they've already gotten eleven main chapters and one 'intermission' chapter posted. It's nice to know that other authors are willing to take the leap.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
Elfriede Jelinek, Nobel Prize laureate in Literature in 2004, is writing an
on-line novel (in German).

The novel is titled 'Neid' ('Envy') and can be found on her home page
http://elfriedejelinek.com/, under 'Aktuelles' in the left column.
Five chapters seem to be expected, but the experiment might also
be terminated early: two chapters are available so far.

I believe the novel will not be published by ordinary channels, and
there is a mention in a second-hand source that it may be free to be
copied for private use (which would exclude reformatting it for, say,
Sony Reader and making it available for others).
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I read about Jelinek writing an "online book" (heh heh) in today's "Profil" (austrian weekly magazine, sort of like Time).
Right now Jelinek's "Neid" has 5 chapters, but the 5th chapter is named "5a" through "5h". So actually there seem to be 14 chapters.
I wanted to post this as "news" but it seems like i'm a year too late
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I read about Jelinek writing an "online book" (heh heh) in today's "Profil" (austrian weekly magazine, sort of like Time).
Right now Jelinek's "Neid" has 5 chapters, but the 5th chapter is named "5a" through "5h". So actually there seem to be 14 chapters.
I wanted to post this as "news" but it seems like i'm a year too late
SOOOooooo... In just over a year he's managed to get 14 chapters written. At the same time Miller and Lee finished "Fledgling" (thirty-plus chapters), found a publisher for the dead-tree version and have completed thirteen chapters of the follow-up story, "Saltation". I sure hope that "Neid" is spectacular - I would expect no less from a book I'll grow ancient and possibly die while waiting for it to finish.

Derek
Old 05-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

first of all, he is a she

Then, does it matter how many chapters a book has? What are you trying to say? All hail Miller and Lee? There are even more authors publishing FREE on the net.

Sheesh.

BTW: I never read Jelinek, but I think it doesn't involve phasers and space travel.
Advert
Old 05-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
first of all, he is a she

Then, does it matter how many chapters a book has? What are you trying to say? All hail Miller and Lee? There are even more authors publishing FREE on the net.

Sheesh.

BTW: I never read Jelinek, but I think it doesn't involve phasers and space travel.
Didn't know "he" was a "she". My apologies for getting that wrong.

And no, I wasn't all that upset about the length of the book - so far. Just complaining that most readers aren't going to put up with such long, drawn-out, posting schedules. Perhaps she might want to look into doing her next work as a NaNoWriMo novel. (Maybe there are a few (read: half a dozen, worldwide) readers who are willing to wait so long for a finished work - but I'm not.)

Derek
Old 05-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
mores
Guru

okay, that's a valid point, and I agree with you.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
sanders
Connoisseur
sanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
SOOOooooo... In just over a year he's managed to get 14 chapters written. At the same time Miller and Lee finished "Fledgling" (thirty-plus chapters), found a publisher for the dead-tree version and have completed thirteen chapters of the follow-up story, "Saltation". I sure hope that "Neid" is spectacular - I would expect no less from a book I'll grow ancient and possibly die while waiting for it to finish.

Derek
I'm glad I didn't publish my book while it was in progress. It took me six years to finish :-)
sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders View Post
I'm glad I didn't publish my book while it was in progress. It took me six years to finish :-)
I'm just of the belief that if you're gonna offer your works online, as a see-my-work-as-I-write-it work, then there's a reasonable expectation you'll post material quite regularly. Now I'm sure any ordinary NaNoWriMo person has posted as much as s/he has completed for the event, but a Nobel Prize winning author? C'mon. Either deliver or don't attempt. Someone who's not made it "to the bookstore shelves", isn't - in my opinion - laboring under quite the same expectation.

But maybe we'll be totally surprised and her "work-in-progress" will be so worth the wait we'll all abandon any desire to read another book.

Derek

P.S. I've not read your work so I wasn't attempting a slam against you.