Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
original-occam
original-occam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Question Bookshelves - how?

First: I am very happy with the new firmware 2.0. I had no problems getting it installed (it just took some time), and the reader responds much better to touches. And we have shelves!

I want to put books on shelves while looking at the "books" screen but I have not discovered how to do it (except for the "Shortlist" shelf). Please, someone, enlighten me!
original-occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Right now the only way to add books to shelves is go Library | Shelves then either
  • Create a new shelf
    • Type in the name
    • Hit Next
    • Select Add Books
    • Select the desired books
    • Select Create
  • or hit the box at the end of an existing shelf and select Edit
    • Select Add Books
    • Select the desired books
    • Select Create

It has been suggested to Kobo that letting people add books to shelves from the Book view would be useful; we'll have to wait and see.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It has been suggested to Kobo that letting people add books to shelves from the Book view would be useful; we'll have to wait and see.
What would be much more useful would be to be able to add them from Calibre!
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is beyond Kobo's abilities; you need one of the calibre developers to look at this.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Most of my needs for shelves would be met if they were auto added using meta data categories in epub books. This would reduce need to add each book to bookshelf while dealing with slow button response.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Most of my needs for shelves would be met if they were auto added using meta data categories in epub books. This would reduce need to add each book to bookshelf while dealing with slow button response.
I agree with this - is it possible to this through a Calibre Metadata Plugboard?
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #7
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
I am happy that I can create shelves because I can now create collections either by author, which. I did on my Sony and really missed.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #8
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is beyond Kobo's abilities; you need one of the calibre developers to look at this.
What would be ideal is if the Kobo developers and Calibre developers talked to/codeveloped with each other. Unfortunately I'm guessing that this is never going to happen, which is a problem for Kobo more than Calibre. As kiwidude said in another thread he didn't know what device he might have in two years, but his library would be on Calibre. I feel the same way. A device that really worked tightly with Calibre would have immense advantages.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
What would be ideal is if the Kobo developers and Calibre developers talked to/codeveloped with each other.
Tim the developer of the Kobo plugin for calibre is actually in the beta group, and he could update his plugin even before it is released in the wild, He just didn't have the time I guess. But if he has a problem he has direct access to the developer like we all do.

You already have a collection option inside of the Kobo plugin in calibre, just needs to be implemented for the new feature and calibre would be able to automatically create your shelves for you, it is only a matter of time I guess.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
plib
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
Tim the developer of the Kobo plugin for calibre is actually in the beta group, and he could update his plugin even before it is released in the wild, He just didn't have the time I guess. But if he has a problem he has direct access to the developer like we all do.

You already have a collection option inside of the Kobo plugin in calibre, just needs to be implemented for the new feature and calibre would be able to automatically create your shelves for you, it is only a matter of time I guess.
Good. I wasn't aware of that particular involvement. I have emailed the contact for beta access but haven't received a reply. If the shelves can be set up in Calibre that would be a major plus as I think that kind of organization on the device would take much longer and be more frustrating.

That's partly what I had in mind, but also Kovid Goyal's repeated comments and entry in the help file that the Kobo Touch has very buggy firmware. I know I experience communication dropouts regularly. It just seems to me that it would probably benefit both sides if the issues could be resolved. Less grief for both sides of tech support, and certainly for users.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Kovid (imho) has a major bee in his bonnet with the Kobo.

I do not think his stance is at all valid.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
plib
Guru

Quote:
Kovid (imho) has a major bee in his bonnet with the Kobo.

I do not think his stance is at all valid.
I do find it strange that the only time I have ever had USB connectivity problems is when using Calibre with the Kobo. I can use Windows with the Kobo all day long, just as a test I even copied and then streamed a movie off both the SD card and the internal memory. I've also added map images and other files to the database through Windows. No problems. I have two external USB drives that can stream to the network, a hub with all sorts of devices attached, none of which have ever even hiccuped. But with Calibre, dropouts. So it might be a database issue, but I can't see how it's a USB issue, which is part of the usual response. Oh well, maybe some day.

Unless there's some reason I'm not aware of I still think it would make sense for the two sides to cooperate and thrash it out to a solution. From what I've read on MR I'm not the only one it's happened to.