Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
dezq32n
dezq32n began at the beginning.

Device: none
tax id number to provide content 4 ipad

I have read a few posts about supplying an ebook for the ipad via ibook, but one of the prerequisites according to apple is that an author should have a tax id number, on amazon via kindle (so long as you are an individual and not a company) you only need your SS if you are a U.S. citizen.

I have contacted apple and they told me to send the question to another help desk department, which I did, and replies would come back from the email address that I had originally sent my inquiry to. this kept going on for three weeks!
I never received an answer to the simple question as to whether or not I need a tax id or just a social security number if I am giving the book away for free and I am not representing a company.

could someone else who has provided content for the ipad help me out with some info? This is really my last option to post a question such as this here.

I have googled like heck, read forum after forum, and I can't find the answer I need, not even from apple themselves!

Last edited by dezq32n; 07-22-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: looking for better thread title
dezq32n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
You need the Tax ID:

I don't think they distinguish between paid and free distribution right now.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is it only possible to upload books to the iBookstore if you live in the USA, then?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
In the US, a social security number normally IS your tax id. You only get another form of tax id if you set up a corporation or something, but for some forms of "single person" business entities, the person's social security number IS the tax i.d. for the entiry.

There is such a thing as an "International tax identification number" that you can get as a non-US citizen/resident but I'm not sure if it's worth it in this situation.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is it only possible to upload books to the iBookstore if you live in the USA, then?
Harry, I think that is correct, at least for now. Maybe they are waiting to roll out iBooks to all the international markets first.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
dezq32n
dezq32n began at the beginning.

Device: none
well, I am a US citizen, but I live abroad, the thing is that after the whole fiasco with apple's help desk, I mean it was soooo horrible it was almost comical, I would hate to start the process, put my SS in the form asking for the tax id only to find out that the SS isn't the id number they want...I really try to avoid using my SS on the net as much as possible.

@bevdeforges, I was kinda under the same assumption, though the term "tax id" I usually associate with the one issued to a business.

I did read the requirements on the site and that's why I wrote apple, but as I explained in the OP, it was a vicious circle of "We can't help you, send your inquiry here" and then obviously whenever someone at the new email address received my question they sent it right back to the original help desk.

I guess I could give it a try, was just hoping that someone else had actually gone through the entire process to give me a definitive answer.

Much thanks guys, will check back in a couple of days.
dezq32n is offline   Reply With Quote