Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
trembling
trembling began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (N514)
Can't downgrade firmware

Hello everybody, I registered today to ask for help with my Kobo Aura (N514). Please bear with me since I'm no geek

I use to turn on wi-fi on my kobo only to search for firmware updates and so far I had no trouble downloading and installing them. I'm running latest official firmware 4.24.15676. Unfortunately I've a problem with the new GUI introduced a couple of updates ago, if I remember correctly, as I much preferred browsing ebooks listed by page numbers instead of scrolling. So I tried to downgrade to version 4.23.15548 which I think to be the last one with the old GUI.

First of all I was surprised to find zipped 4.23.15548 inside my .kobo folder, though my device is running 4.24.15676 (I'm on macOS 10.12.6 btw):

I wasn't sure about how to proceed. I tried trashing 4.23.15548 and unzipping the freshly downloaded 4.23.15505, but my device seemed not to notice anything and kept running latest version. In short I tinkered deleting and adding but got nowhere. So before bricking my device I thought to ask for help to more skilled users. TIA
trembling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
All you need is https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
trembling

Thank you. I was asking whether I can downgrade without patching.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Yes, you don't need to do any patching to downgrade
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:09 AM   #5
trembling

Maybe I'm missing something, but before opening a new thread I've read several stickies and discussions here and I understand it's mandatory to install the new (in my case the older) firmware before patching. And that's exactly what I can't do. As I said, my device takes no notice of older firmware I drop inside .kobo folder, whatever instructions I follow. So patching would be out of the question anyway.

I wonder if this is related to downgrading instead of upgrading. Or maybe to macOS Sierra.
Advert
Old 10-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From the screenshot, you need to unpack the downloaded file. Put the contents in the .kobo directory, not the zip file.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
More than likely it's that you're not placing the correct files on the Kobo. When you download the firmware you download a file named kobo-update-<build number>.zip

You then unzip this file to obtain KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum and a folder upgrade that contains several more files.

All of these need to be copied to the .kobo folder of your reader.

After the copy your .kobo folder should contain the Kobo root.tgz and manifest.md5sum files, and the upgrade folder that will contain several files.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
trembling

@davidfor,
Quote:
Originally Posted by trembling View Post
I was surprised to find zipped 4.23.15548 inside my .kobo folder, though my device is running 4.24.15676
I don't know why it was there. Maybe my device didn't delete it after an upgrade?

@PeterT, thanks! My mistake was copying the whole unzipped folder instead of its contents. Now I'm happily back at version 4.19.14123