Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-29-2015, 05:53 AM   #571
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuhdev View Post
I'm not able to start nickel from start menu. Nickel shows its progress dots but after it is about to show the main interface it jumps back to start menu. Is there a way to see why this happens? Thanks!
Probably the png from kbmenupng dir aren't processed.
Go to tools>nickel diverse>start nickel no fmon
If all go well nickel must show a progress bar like if you sideload a book. Go to library and open and close all png. Finally, you can boot and start nickel from ksm (i hope)

tshering, finally you ninja'd me!!!

Last edited by boriar; 08-29-2015 at 05:55 AM. Reason: ninja'd
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:06 AM   #572
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Boriar, beware of ninjas!
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #573
macsek
eReader fan
macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Currently using Kindle PaperWhite 4 /32. Also have a Kobo Aura One
Exclamation Test does not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
How to install:
If KSM is already installed on your Reader
  • extract KoboRoot.tgz from KBStartMenu_08prep02.zip and copy it to .kobo of your device
  • eject safely, disconnect and disable usb
  • select "handle update" > "install update"
  • wait that the device restarts
  • select "tools" > "activate" > "set runmenu settings.msh" > "always"
Done. (Actual filename is KSM08prep02e.zip, as this file has a KoboRoot.tgz)

Quote:
Test: check database integrity

(from KSM home) select "tools" > "nickel diverse.msh" > "db check integrity.sh"
Done: Ok.

Quote:
Test: KSM update 1
Spoiler:
  • connect via "usb" > "usb enable.sh" to the pc
  • copy KSM08prep02_update001.zip to .adds/kbmenu_user
  • (from KSM home) select "handle KSM updates" > "install updates"
  • wait until you see the information screen and follow the instruction there
This will copy updatetest/nothing_new.txt to .adds/kbmenu_user and updatetestdoc.txt to /adds/kbmenu. You can check whether it worked by
selecting (from KSM home) "scripts" > "browse" > "browse kbmenu user.msh" (there you should see "updatetest"; and if you select "updatetest", you should see "nothing new.txt")
and by
selecting (from KSM home) "scripts" > "browse" > "browse kbmenu.msh" (there you should see "updatetestdoc.txt" )
No such menu entries (updatetest or updatestestdoc.txt)

Quote:
Test: KSM update 2
Spoiler:
  • connect via "usb" > "usb enable.sh" to the pc
  • copy KSM08prep02_update002.zip to .adds/kbmenu_user
  • (from KSM home) select "handle KSM updates" > "install updates"
  • wait until you see the information screen and follow the instruction there
This update will redo the changes done by update 01, you can check the result in the same manner as above.
I could not reinstall the same KSM update, "KSM08prep02_update003: you can install an update only once"

Quote:
Test : KSM's power off screen for nickel
Spoiler:
  • (from KSM home) select "tools" > "activate" > "x install ksm poweroff.sh"
  • (from KSM home) select "start nickel"
  • power off (with the power button)
  • when the device has powered off, you shoud see the KSM power off screen
In order to redo this change,
  • (from KSM home) select "tools" > "activate" > "x uninstall ksm poweroff.sh"
Pressing power for a short time:
It displays the current book cover.

Extended press: Powered Off (.adds/kbmenu...)

--------
Kobo H2O, 3.17.3, Nickel database was damaged some 3 times in 24 hours. KSM07 did have some upside down menus as well.
In case I can help you with running some other scripts/tests please let me know.
Thanks for creating/maintaining this useful hack.
macsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #574
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

macsek, thank you for testing.
As for the update test, I guess that you copied the three update files all at once into the device, and that therefore the three updates have been installed one after the other in immediate succession. I think what happened was
  • update 1 created updatetest and updatestestdoc.txt
  • update 2, which undoes the changes done by update 1, was installed immediately after update 1. Therefore you could not see updatetest and updatestestdoc.txt
  • update 3 was installed immediately after update 2
  • when you then tried to install update 3, you were informed that it is already installed
If you could confirm that it might have happened in this way, you cold save me from having to go through this part of the code again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsek View Post
Pressing power for a short time:
It displays the current book cover.

Extended press: Powered Off (.adds/kbmenu...)
This is as expected.

Quote:
Kobo H2O, 3.17.3, Nickel database was damaged some 3 times in 24 hours.
Damage to the database was the reason to prepare KSM 08. I hope you did not experience any database corruption since installing the test version.
Quote:
KSM07 did have some upside down menus as well.
Do you see any upside down menus under the test version?
Thank you again for your help.

Last edited by tshering; 08-29-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #575
macsek
eReader fan
macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
As for the update test, I guess that you copied the three update files all at once into the device, and that therefore the three updates have been installed one after the other in immediate succession.

Dear tshering,
no, the fact is I have only seen these files in post #490:
Code:
Attached Files
File Type: zip 	KSM08prep02e.zip (6.69 MB, 20 views)
File Type: zip 	KSM08prep02_update003.zip (323 Bytes, 17 views)
So there was only two updates I installed, first the KoboRoot.tgz from KSM08prep02e.zip, then restarted, then the KSM08prep02_update003.zip.

Quote:
Damage to the database was the reason to prepare KSM 08. I hope you did not experience any database corruption since installing the test version.
Do you see any upside down menus under the test version?
I confirm that all menu entries (I tried almost all of them) are displayed in correct orientation now in KSM8Beta.

Speaking about database corruption I am not sure whether the last one was still on KSM7 or was it KSM8beta already. However now that I think I should do a factory reset anyway to repair the database I can gladly help you testing any version. The worst case is that I have to do some more factory resets, which I am willing to do to help you and others.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #576
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Dear tshering,
no, the fact is I have only seen these files in post #490:
Code:
Attached Files
File Type: zip 	KSM08prep02e.zip (6.69 MB, 20 views)
File Type: zip 	KSM08prep02_update003.zip (323 Bytes, 17 views)
So there was only two updates I installed, first the KoboRoot.tgz from KSM08prep02e.zip, then restarted, then the KSM08prep02_update003.zip.
Thank you for the clearification! The precursors of KSM08prep02e.zip, namely KSM08prep02.zip, KSM08prep02b.zip, KSM08prep02c.zip, and KSM08prep02d.zip, contained in addition to KoboRoot.tgz also KSM08prep02_update001.zip and KSM08prep02_update002.zip. Since I did not include these two update files in KSM08prep02e.zip (a fact that I forgot since then), this created some confusion.

I will upload update 1 and 2 separately to the same post.

Quote:
I confirm that all menu entries (I tried almost all of them) are displayed in correct orientation now in KSM8Beta.
Thank you for testing!

Quote:
Speaking about database corruption I am not sure whether the last one was still on KSM7 or was it KSM8beta already. However now that I think I should do a factory reset anyway to repair the database I can gladly help you testing any version. The worst case is that I have to do some more factory resets, which I am willing to do to help you and others.
I hope you see no further corruptions of the database!

Last edited by tshering; 08-29-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #577
macsek
eReader fan

Quote:
I will upload update 1 and 2 separately to the same post.
Tested. Everything works as expected.

Quote:
I hope you see no further corruptions of the database!
I will let you know.
How should I try it: doing a factory reset, reinstall KSM08beta and the books thru Calibre? Or you suggest to do it some other way?

ksm: tools / nickel diverse / db chk integrity.sh says ok but I am not convinced.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #578
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Tested. Everything works as expected.
Good!

Quote:
How should I try it: doing a factory reset, reinstall KSM08beta and the books thru Calibre? Or you suggest to do it some other way?
There is no need of a factory reset, and therefore no need to reinstall KSM08beta. You can clear and recreate the database by logging out of the kobo account, and then log in again.

Quote:
ksm: tools / nickel diverse / db chk integrity.sh says ok but I am not convinced.
Why are you not convinced?

Last edited by tshering; 08-29-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:57 AM   #579
macsek
eReader fan

Quote:
There is no need of a factory reset, and therefore no need to reinstall KSM08beta. You can clear and recreate the database by logging out of the kobo account, and then log in again.
Oh, it is simpler, thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Why are you not convinced?
When I was testing your KSM upgrade scripts I started nickel (because I enabled usb and then plugged the cable in so KOBOeReader did not appear in the file manager as usual. I realized since then, that usb enable.sh should be run while the cable is connected).
So I started nickel and it asked what language I want to use, then wanted me to log in my kobo or whatever else account , which I disregarded and restarted the device. I tested what you asked me for, and used usb from KSM. Some steps later, when I restarted nickel it seemed working (I have not entered my account details, not even the email address after the previous question).
I checked the device database from KSM as I have written and it answered ok. Tested from Calibre KoboUtilities as well, also answered the database is correct. But as I don't understand why the heck it thought that moment being not registered I am not really sure if everything is really correct inside the reader software internal settings.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #580
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Oh, it is simpler, thanks for the tip!
When I was testing your KSM upgrade scripts I started nickel (because I enabled usb and then plugged the cable in so KOBOeReader did not appear in the file manager as usual. I realized since then, that usb enable.sh should be run while the cable is connected).
The sequence of enabling usb and connecting to the pc should not matter. Maybe your OS (I guess Windows) needed for some reason more time as you expected when you tried. The sequence is however important when disconnecting.

Quote:
So I started nickel and it asked what language I want to use, then wanted me to log in my kobo or whatever else account , which I disregarded and restarted the device.
But as I don't understand why the heck it thought that moment being not registered I am not really sure if everything is really correct inside the reader software internal settings.
This happened because you started nickel while usb was enabled. When usb is enabled, the user partition is unmounted. Therefore nickel cannot find the database and the configuration files and tries to set them up newly. Maybe I should prevent the user from trying to start nickel, if usb is enabled. Thank you for this important observation. I would have never thought of starting nickel while usb is enabled. But, of course, such a situation can occur.

Quote:
I checked the device database from KSM as I have written and it answered ok. Tested from Calibre KoboUtilities as well, also answered the database is correct.
Thank you for testing. This is quite reassuring.

Last edited by tshering; 08-30-2015 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #581
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Hello to all!
I have the FW 3.16.0 and KSM07_update4 on my Aura and I want to downgrade the FW to 3.13.0.
Do I need a factory reset before the downgrade procedure?
The KSM will still running on startup or I need to reinstall it again?

Thanks!

Last edited by WolfBack; 08-30-2015 at 07:35 AM.
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #582
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBack View Post
Hello to all!
I have the FW 3.16.0 and KSM07_update4 on my Aura and I want to downgrade the FW to 3.13.0.
Do I need a factory reset before the downgrade procedure?
The KSM will still running on startup or I need to reinstall it again?

Thanks!
Should be possible without factory reset. As for keeping KSM alive see this post.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #583
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Should be possible without factory reset. As for keeping KSM alive see this post.
Thank you, Tshering! You're very helpful.
I'll try to downgrade my device late during the day.

Edit:
It Works! Thanks again!

Last edited by WolfBack; 08-30-2015 at 09:33 AM.
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #584
macsek
eReader fan

Quote:
The sequence of enabling usb and connecting to the pc should not matter. Maybe your OS (I guess Windows) needed for some reason more time as you expected when you tried. The sequence is however important when disconnecting.
It is Linux (ubuntu 14.04.3). I tried it again: if I first enable usb then plug it in then kobo is not detected, if I disable usb and enable again then it appears.
Do you want some other tests?

Quote:
This happened because you started nickel while usb was enabled. When usb is enabled, the user partition is unmounted. Therefore nickel cannot find the database and the configuration files and tries to set them up newly. Maybe I should prevent the user from trying to start nickel, if usb is enabled. Thank you for this important observation. I would have never thought of starting nickel while usb is enabled.
This is why "real" users testing is important. Users can do things in strange orders, which the programmer never thought will happen.
Thanks for the explanation, so no database fault, just user fault :-) This is way better.
I suggest you not to disable starting nickel while usb enabled just ask whether usb can be automatically disabled now. (or more precisely whether to set up mounts as needed for normal use) On the other hand if you feel it is better matches the general usage of KSM then just a warning is enough, like "user partition is unmounted, normally you should disable usb before starting nickel. Proceed without disabling usb?"
Old 09-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #585
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Is there a web browser that works via KSM?
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koreader/nickel, ksm 07