Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #31
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealcormier View Post
-------------------------------------------------

I have no idea why you think this guy can't run Google searches. The JBLs process of loading your username and CC# to read DRM PDBs, is ARCHAIC, and may be 'simple' but how would you ever know how to do it without calling the company (which is what I did) considering there is absolutely no tech manual that covers this issue and nothing on their site.

To boot the JBL is tempermental and reads files HALF the time in some cases.

You should NOT have to be a hacker just to use an eReader.

It is not difficult to find DRM Removal information using Google, if you can't
find any that describes a simple process, now a days, then you are not very
proficient in the use of a search engine.

I begin to wonder if you know the meaning of the term "archaic", last I
checked people are still using Credit Cards and names.

As I pointed out in my original post, the bookshelf page contains unlock
information (for each download file, in fact), including the exact spelling and
capitalization for the "name" part and the last 4 of the proper credit card that
will unlock that file. If that is not enough, the support pages go into much
greater detail.

The JBL "boots" just fine, whether into the main program or into the update
routine.

I have no way of knowing what files you are trying to get the JBL to read,
but it reads pretty much all the valid files I have fed it. They do have to
conform to the general requirements of the device, just like any other ebook
reading device.

True you don't need to be a hacker to use a JBL. You don't need to know
how to pound a nail to use a hammer, but you can certainly improve your
results if you bother to learn a little technique.

If you bother to learn a little about the different formats and the tiniest
portion of file format converters like the "Calibre" (also supported on this
site) you should be able to have almost any ebook file readable on your
JBL.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #32
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
As I pointed out in my original post, the bookshelf page contains unlock
information (for each download file, in fact), including the exact spelling and
capitalization for the "name" part and the last 4 of the proper credit card that
will unlock that file. If that is not enough, the support pages go into much
greater detail.
Just a note:

I found out before they squashed the bug that caused the JBL to NOT remember your codes for eReader, that it doesn't care about capitalization.

This made entering my name MUCH quicker, which was a blessing. I had two JBL's to unlock files on (mine and my wife's) and I had not yet learned to strip DRM.

Not that I would ever do that, since it is illegal in the US, maybe, depending on court decisions...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #33
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Not that I would ever do that, since it is illegal in the US, maybe, depending on court decisions...
I'm unapologetic about it. I understand copyright laws. And I support the copyright laws. I really do. But what we have nowadays is getting ridiculous. It's BS that after I've bought something I have to keep jumping through hoops to use it.

I remember years ago when I first got visual studio .net. I installed it on my computer. Then I got hit with that virus that restart your computer every 60 seconds. Instead of spending the time to fix it, I decided to format and reinstall the OS. Then I decided to install the software on another computer for my convenience. Something happened (can't remember what) so I had to reinstall it. But then I got this message that said I had installed the maximum number of times for that particular key. That's total BS! I paid a couple hundred bucks for it. I should have been able to install and reinstall it as many times as I wanted as long as I didn't share with other people.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #34
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
I'm unapologetic about it. I understand copyright laws. And I support the copyright laws. I really do. But what we have nowadays is getting ridiculous. It's BS that after I've bought something I have to keep jumping through hoops to use it.
I consider it bad form to admit to a felony on an open board.

A felony conviction could cost me my teaching license, as well as years of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
But then I got this message that said I had installed the maximum number of times for that particular key. That's total BS! I paid a couple hundred bucks for it. I should have been able to install and reinstall it as many times as I wanted as long as I didn't share with other people.
I understand what you are talking about. I have, however, found that many companies are quite willing to reactivate you or give you a new code under those circumstances.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #35
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Quote:

A felony conviction could cost me my teaching license, as well as years of my life.
I actually haven't admitted to anything.

Quote:
I understand what you are talking about. I have, however, found that many companies are quite willing to reactivate you or give you a new code under those circumstances.
In other words, I'd have to jump through some hoops.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #36
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I'm with LE, knowing what your getting into is 3/4's of the battle. If your not up for it, then go for one of the big name brands with a dedicated store.

Recently I bought a pair of Jetbooks for my dad, and my wifes dad.
Ages 75 and 85, both computer illerate, both with lots of time on their hands, both having issues reading regular print books. (Both farmers, lots of years staring into the sun)

Now I did take the precaution of having a wide variety of books preloaded for them.

But both took to the Jetbook like a duck takes to water.

So running the Jetbook itself is truly not that hard.
You do however have to educate yourself as to exactly what your expecting that book to do. And exactly how to maximize your chances of it being able to do what you want.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #37
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Simply put: I read books I have paid for on the device I paid for. The original intention of DRM is to prevent copying and file sharing that would deprive authors (ahem... publishers) of their profits. I do not pirate ebooks, nor do I share my ebooks, nor will I. DRM is bad tech that makes life more difficult for those who DO pay and follow the rules.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #38
DJHARKAVY
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Simply put: I read books I have paid for on the device I paid for. The original intention of DRM is to prevent copying and file sharing that would deprive authors (ahem... publishers) of their profits. I do not pirate ebooks, nor do I share my ebooks, nor will I. DRM is bad tech that makes life more difficult for those who DO pay and follow the rules.
I agree.

I just won't admit to the actual felony...
Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #39
jblitereader
Addict

Quote:
I agree.

I just won't admit to the actual felony...
I'm curious. Is it really a felony?

I'm an ex-street cop, so I don't really know that much about these other stupid laws that our dearest politicians managed to come up with.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #40
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Just to anyone, anyone at all who makes the mistake of buying and attempting to use an ECTACO Jetbook Lite, DO NOT!

Here are just a few reasons why not:

1. The number of their defective units must be very large. Not only have I read reviews that said this, two of my friends have claimed it, as well as the fact that I MYSELF purchased a defective unit.

2. I STILL cannot read ANY books from B & N, bn.com, the site ECTACO claims to support now.

3. My unit will not read ePubs of any kind.

4. The technical support guy (there's only one guy) is AWFUL, doesn't completely understand English and he is absurdly RUDE! He continues to spout lies about how the product will work in the future, with future firmware, and then when it doesn't lies to me and claims something else to blow me off!

5. The company advertises that the product reads ePubs. It does not, it only reads those from eReader and Fictionwise.

6. Again, mine won't read any ePub OR Mobi books that are purchased.

7. Good luck loading files from USB--it takes a Herculean iron will to get past its hurdles into reading your books. I had to troubleshoot--FOR HOURS if not days!

This is just the tip of the iceberg on this product, and maybe by chance you'll buy once that works.

I recently bought a Nook by B&N for the SAME price $149, and it works FINE.
i think you need a firmware update or something. i've never had a problem with the jetBook and i bought entire sets for my family last christmas
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:20 AM   #41
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
It's because they are dishonest

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, that's complete misinformation, totally false: as you can see from the Jetbook site, it advertises PDB, and ePub, regardless of DRM, which-it-states-clearly. I have called and talked to the customer service people and got PDBs to work on the JBL via username and CC#. Then, B&N switched to ePub, and I thought no problem, my JBL reads ePub, but AGAINST their advertising, it does not. The technician said it would read DRM'd ePubs with the SD card and firmware update. So I spent $20 on an SD card and poof!--NOTHING. NOTHING. The firmware update was successful and it DOES NOT READ IT. I called the technician back and he had told me weeks ago that I needed a firmware update. But, like a robot he simply repeated the boiler plate when I asked why it STILL would not read the DRM ePub format.
Ectaco bought an old product (the original Jetbook) which still works pretty good AS IS and they have been dishonest about their promised upgrades to read DRM. Enjoy it for what it is and expect nothing else from them. They have been promising that there would be an upgrade for the JB for over a year now. I am not surprised that that those folks who purchased the JBL are having problems. Go to Borders. Either of their two readers will read DRM books. I don't know about the Kobo, but the Aluratek Libre is supposed to be able to read library ebooks (at least that's what Adobe says on their Website).

Good luck.
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #42
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisvjames View Post
Ectaco bought an old product (the original Jetbook) which still works pretty good AS IS and they have been dishonest about their promised upgrades to read DRM. Enjoy it for what it is and expect nothing else from them. They have been promising that there would be an upgrade for the JB for over a year now. I am not surprised that that those folks who purchased the JBL are having problems. Go to Borders. Either of their two readers will read DRM books. I don't know about the Kobo, but the Aluratek Libre is supposed to be able to read library ebooks (at least that's what Adobe says on their Website).

Good luck.
It happened: Adobe DRM support for ECTACO JetBook and jetBook LITE is now out! Advanced apps and add-ons included.

I use new v0.35k firmware version on my jetBook and it has support for B&N EPUB books and Adobe DRM books from other websites like Borders and Kobo.
Aluratek ereader has no support for B&N books.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #43
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Actually, the JBL Adobe DRM support is not supposed to be available for download until July 22. It's kind of interesting that Ectaco would issue a press release on July 14 saying it's "now out" when it hasn't even been released in beta.
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 AM   #44
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Funny - I never found the JB or the Aluratek Libre Pro(ALP) - too technical to use.

I thought the built in menus and options were pretty straight forward and clear.

The explanation of transferring non DRM e-books was pretty well straight forward. Download the files and then Drag and Drop.

JB-L came with B&N DRM pdb. It's B&N's that changed their line up. I never did care too much for either as B&N doesn't sell outside the USA. I had a JB and it had no DRM support at first. Now it has all three.

For those clients who do not own a PC any of the e-readers that support 3G connectivity as well as the Kindle with it's whisper Net are good for these people and even better if they live in the USA. You cannot even sell a wifi only unit if they do not have wifi at home as well as a PC with internet access.

As for Kindle they just recently went "Global". Prior to that if you lived outside the USA you missed out on a lot of services that you still paid for in the initial cost. Plus some subscriptions gave you less for the same charge outside the USA.

The JB didn't come out with any DRM at first but if one was knowledgeable one could still "Buy" books and read them on the unit.

Now the JB supports more DRM formats than most of the others.

As for the JB-L I assume it will catch up after all I owned a JB and had to wait quite a while before they even put out some FW updates let a lone DRM support.

I cannot comment on the JB-L hardware but both my JB and ALP have worked fine from the start. I would have to re-state that - both have worked as good as could be expected from a device that is obviously inexpensive to make. Yes, I have to reset every now and then (poor memory management IMO) but I also didn't have to pay almost $400 for it either. To expect perfection and greatness from a device that probably cost $10-$20 per unit to make is unreasonable (these units were an existing design when Ectaco and Aluratek went shopping).

These units do what they were made for and that is display e-books in the most common open formats that exist and do a relatively good job at displaying the text. Some of the display issues are badly formated e-books. Don't blame the reader for that. I found the specs fairly clear.

I can understand if you are not into the technology how confusing it can be but that is up to the individual to do their home work before committing to buying. ALP is being found in more retail stores. Kindle is just starting to hit some retail stores.

The JB, JB-L and ALP are what I call truely Global e-readers - not tide to a specific propreitary technology and capable of being used anywhere. As long as you have access to the Internet via a PC you should have access to new material.

That's my opinion.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote