Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
polossatik
TheBigFish
polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: boox note air / pocketbook 840
Lightbulb Q's on RSS and glare before buying 302

I'm thinking about buying a 302 (EU based).
Mainly to read pdf's (I can't justify one of current bigger screen ones, mainly due the lack of other functionality I need like annotating) and to use as RSS reader (hence wifi needed )
So the 302 seams promising, seen PDF support seams to be pretty good

but I have some questions:

I read that the RSS feeds are buggy but like the >4k problem should be fixed in 15.2 firmware, anyone who's running the 15.2 beta who can confirm RSS now works properly?

I also read somewhere here that RSS is going trough a pocketbook server, is the device not fetching the RSS directly? How does this work in fact?

Can you set up to automatically update the RSS feeds every hour?

I also saw that all 302 now come with a "anti glare" foil, , can someone comment how effective this is?

Edit: and for PDF (can't find it right away, sorry if it's a noob Q) does the reader remeber zoom settings and so for each PDF (aka if you switch back forward between 2 pdf's with different settings does it restore the setting used for that pdf file in particular)?

edit2: what can be done whit the bluetooth build in currently? I can't seam to find a lot of info about this...

Last edited by polossatik; 05-27-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: more Q's...
polossatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I've had a 302 for about 3 weeks now. I read technical PDFs in landscape mode and it works pretty well. If you zoom to margins it usually works great. You can zoom more if that's not exactly what you want. Your zoom setting and your screen orientation will be remembered for that book. You'll have to set it for any other books.

One thing you should be aware of is that when you've loaded a page in landscape mode you'll see the top 1/2 of the page as expected. To see the bottom half you will have to drag the page on the screen. For me, I just put my finger at the bottom left corner and drag to the top left. It helps if you have fingernails but you certainly don't need the stylus. I rarely use the stylus for anything except for annotating and drawing.

I have an antiglare screen I purchased commercially which works pretty well. Glare is significantly reduced with minor loss if screen contrast.

I haven't tried RSS feeds yet since I generally don't have wireless available. I'd be curious as to how well that works. I do have Calibre set up to gather various feeds. I connect the reader to the computer for about 10 minutes before going to work and have various feeds automatically downloaded to the computer.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
polossatik
TheBigFish
polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

thank you Jim, that answers my PDF question, and the glare can be minimised ... lovely.

now let's hope someone who's betatesting the new FW can shed some light on the RSS side.
I specifically want to get rid of connecting to a pc to update the feeds
Old 05-29-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
I've had a 302 for about 3 weeks now. I read technical PDFs in landscape mode and it works pretty well. If you zoom to margins it usually works great. You can zoom more if that's not exactly what you want. Your zoom setting and your screen orientation will be remembered for that book. You'll have to set it for any other books.

One thing you should be aware of is that when you've loaded a page in landscape mode you'll see the top 1/2 of the page as expected. To see the bottom half you will have to drag the page on the screen. For me, I just put my finger at the bottom left corner and drag to the top left. It helps if you have fingernails but you certainly don't need the stylus. I rarely use the stylus for anything except for annotating and drawing.

I have an antiglare screen I purchased commercially which works pretty well. Glare is significantly reduced with minor loss if screen contrast.

I haven't tried RSS feeds yet since I generally don't have wireless available. I'd be curious as to how well that works. I do have Calibre set up to gather various feeds. I connect the reader to the computer for about 10 minutes before going to work and have various feeds automatically downloaded to the computer.
With the new firmware, you can configure your buttons to move around the pdf on the screen, so you don't have to use the stylus or your fingernails anymore. I love that feature!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
polossatik
TheBigFish

Is there no one who can conform the RSS functionality works in 15.2 (and how it works?) ?
RSS working properly and autonomously is really one of my key reasons to get this reader.
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
Is there no one who can conform the RSS functionality works in 15.2 (and how it works?) ?
RSS working properly and autonomously is really one of my key reasons to get this reader.
We will check that with our new beta firmware anyway. Please let us do more extensive tests before confirming the proper working.

Workiong fine until now. I would appreciate some nice RSS links. It worked for heute and BBC, by the way.

BBC is:
http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonl...t_page/rss.xml

Last edited by mtravellerh; 05-29-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
With the new firmware, you can configure your buttons to move around the pdf on the screen, so you don't have to use the stylus or your fingernails anymore. I love that feature!
This makes reading PDFs even better. It works great most of the time. I have one (maybe two) that the forward buttons still pages down on.

Before the upgrade I copied all my files from the PB 302 to my PC so I could save my configuration. After I selectively restored them, the buttons I had defined as page turn were now forward/backward. It works for me.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:59 AM   #8
polossatik
TheBigFish

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
We will check that with our new beta firmware anyway. Please let us do more extensive tests before confirming the proper working.

Workiong fine until now. I would appreciate some nice RSS links. It worked for heute and BBC, by the way.

BBC is:
http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonl...t_page/rss.xml
Here is an aggregator I follow: http://en.qi-hardware.com/planet/
Other sources are for example http://feeds.boingboing.net/boingboing/iBag , http://www.theinquirer.net/about-rss
And the the RSS of forums, http://www.rcgroups.com or this one for example.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:09 AM   #9
polossatik
TheBigFish

I see the final 302 15.2 fw is out, is RSS now working decently and how does it actually works (does the device fetches the RSS feeds and convert them?).
I'm really waiting on this info to see if I order a 302 or not.

any reply would be really appreciated.

Last edited by polossatik; 06-06-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
I see the final 302 15.2 fw is out, is RSS now working decently and how does it actually works (does the device fetches the RSS feeds and convert them?).
I'm really waiting on this info to see if I order a 302 or not.

any reply would be really appreciated.
Yes, the RSS is working decentl and yes, it's done by downloading the feeds and converting them on the device.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
polossatik
TheBigFish

thank you, just ordered a 302...