Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Yes, I am using Arch Linux exclusively and Kindle is very friendly (normal for a Linux device). I recommend Calibre, which sends books to your device in one click, and as already mentioned, the plugins that allow you to indefinitely backup the books you legally purchased work natively (as they are python scripts if I remember correctly).
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
One caveat about using the Kindle under Linux:
Don't install Calibre through the regular package management.

The distributions typically bundle 'version-stabilised' (i.e. obsolete) revisions. (Fedora 18, which was released last week, comes with 0.9.6, which is almost three months old.)

Calibre is developing at a rapid pace, and the distributions can't keep up.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #18
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
One caveat about using the Kindle under Linux:
Don't install Calibre through the regular package management.
Well, depends on your distribution. Arch linux is a rolling release, Calibre is always up-to-date. If you use Debian stable on the other hand, you know you are using frozen versions.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote