Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
kobo menu and message

I wrote two little tools and hope they might be useful for some people here.

The idea behind kobomenu is to let bash scripts interact with the user.
Example code:
Code:
mychoice=$(kobomenu Coffee Tea Cocoa)
The user will be presented with a list of the options Coffee, Tea, Cocoa, and EXIT to choose from. The variable mychoice will be set to the selected value. For how it looks, cf. kbmenu_001.jpg and kbmenu_003.jpg of post 2.

kbmessage can be used to display some text and offers zoom in and out.
Example code:
Code:
kbmessage 'Hello world!'
Example code:
Code:
kbmessage -f /mnt/onboard/mytext.txt
Example code:
Code:
choice=$(kobomenu Coffee Tea Cocoa)
if [ "$choice" != "EXIT" ]; then
   kbmessage "Your choice was $choice"
fi
For how it looks, cf. kbmenu_003.jpg of post 2.

kobomenu and kbmessage are depending on libraries and drivers provided by Sergey with his KoboLauncher.
If you call your script from the KoboLauncher the necessary environment variables are already exported.
If you call your script from a Qt neutral context you have to export the variables yourself and add the argument -qws when calling kobomenu or kbmessage. You can take KoboLauncher.sh as a model, or kobosubmenu.sh of kbmenuOnStart.zip of post 2.

I would like to thank Sergey for providing the drivers.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kbmm02.zip (21.7 KB, 557 views)

Last edited by tshering; 08-23-2013 at 12:15 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[edit: the package provided here, is out of date, cf. post #26.]

I am providing here an example of how kobomenu and kbmessage can be used. After installing the package, you will be presented with a menu each time the reader is powered on. The this menu has several entries:
  • info: ...
  • start update: will install an update
  • start partial update: will install an update, but preserves the current etc/init.d/rcS and usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb
  • toggle rotation: toggles between orientation towards north, east, south, west
  • start kobo reader: starts the kobo reader via .kobo/kbmenu/onstart/startreader.sh. You can easily edit this file without fear of breaking the rcS file. You can return from the reader to the main menu by opening exit.png (this needs Sergey's file monitor to be present on the reader). As for the limitations of the landscape mode, cf. post #15
  • start koreader: starts the koreader
  • submenu 1: This is a submenu that you can easily modify by editing .kobo/kbmenu/onstart/kobosubmenu.sh. It contains some sample entries. EXIT takes you back to the main menu
  • submenu scripts: This submenu lists [and lets you start] all sh.-script files living in .kobo/kbmenu/scripts. It contains two samples. Don't use spaces in the filenames of scripts.
  • power off: powers the device off. The screen desplays a text. You can change the text in .kobo/kbmenu/txt/poweroff_info.html
  • reboot: reboots the device
  • EXIT: leaves the menu and starts the kobo reader as usual. You cannot return to the menu.

The entries "start update" and "start partial update" are only available, if there is a KoboRoot.tgz in .kobo. "start koreader" is only available, if koreader is installed.

If you are using Yoq's night mode hack, please re-install it in order to use it with the regular kobo reader. As for the reader started by "start kobo reader", please use additionsTokbmenuOnStart03.zip, no re-installation of the night mode hack required. [I will include this in the next update.]

Install and uninstall as described in install.txt and uninstall.txt.
If the previous version is already installed on your reader, uninstall it according to the description in uninstall.txt. If you install the new version without unistalling the old one, there will remain some unneccessary files on the device [but they don't do any harm, apart from wasting space]. When you uninstall the start menu, it is important that you follow strictly the instructions provided in unistall.txt. If not, you can get into trouble.

Important: You cannot use this with FW older than 2.6.1.

As always, use the package on your own risk.

The pictures below are taken from the first version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kbmenu_001.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	109508   Click image for larger version

Name:	kbmenu_002.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	109509   Click image for larger version

Name:	kbmenu_003.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	109510   Click image for larger version

Name:	kbmenu_004.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	109511   Click image for larger version

Name:	kbmenu_005.jpg
Views:	1275
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	109512  
Attached Files
File Type: zip kbmenuOnStart03.zip (7.27 MB, 497 views)
File Type: zip additionsTokbmenuOnStart03.zip (2.2 KB, 506 views)

Last edited by tshering; 01-15-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
o my goodness: kepubs and epubs in landscape? this is terrific!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
o my goodness: kepubs and epubs in landscape? this is terrific!
Don't be to euphoric! It has some flaws. I love you too.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Don't be to euphoric! It has some flaws. I love you too.
hi tshering, well actually I did play around with it before your exhaustive instructions, and I noticed that after a couple of times it hangs! I've managed to mess my device big time, but that is my fault - but I cannot test it at least for the moment as my device is not working.

The landscape mode did work, though the covers of the books in the Home screen were somewhat cut (I have a Mini, so the screen is smaller than the other devices).
Old 08-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard

I am pondering about why it hangs after a couple of times (of switching between the kobo reader and the main menu, I guess). One thing that I realise now is that I do not kill hindenburg when killing nickel, but start hindenburg each time nickel starts. Maybe the several instances of running hindenburg are the problem. I should have added "killall hindenburg" in .kobo/kbmenu/onstart/killnickel.sh. I will upload a new version after testing (not earlier then on Monday).
Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
paola
Wizard

Quote:
I am pondering about why it hangs after a couple of times (of switching between the kobo reader and the main menu, I guess). One thing that I realise now is that I do not kill hindenburg when killing nickel, but start hindenburg each time nickel starts. Maybe the several instances of running hindenburg are the problem. I should have added "killall hindenburg" in .kobo/kbmenu/onstart/killnickel.sh. I will upload a new version after testing (not earlier then on Monday).
thanks - hope to have a functioning Mini by then, and happy to test!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Hi thsering! This is a very useful tool! I like it! Thanks for sharing!
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
thanks - hope to have a functioning Mini by then, and happy to test!
You are really on the brave side. I will insert a routine that will prevent your kind of accident with the next update.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
paola
Wizard

Quote:
You are really on the brave side. I will insert a routine that will prevent your kind of accident with the next update.
the least I can do is test - and after opening my Mini (which I thought I would never do in a million years) i am ready for anything, even learning Linux :-)

While you work on this, I wonder whether the following is relevant: when I tried the uninstall routine and disconnected the device, the "updating" screen did appear, though it went on for a handful of seconds, maybe 5 or so.
I then discovered as you know that the file was still there. I was still on 2.6.1 in case that makes any difference.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #11
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
Hi thsering! This is a very useful tool! I like it! Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome. I hope it won't do any harm to anybody. After Paola's experience I feel a little bit uneasy. I guess the problem might be in the extensive example rather then the tool itself.

Last edited by tshering; 08-19-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
paola
Wizard

Quote:
You are welcome. I hope it won't do any harm to anybody. After Paola's experience I feel a little bit uneasy. I guess the problem might have in the extensive example rather then the tool itself.
tshering, please don't! First of all, I plunged into it even before you had given any explanations; secondly, I behaved like a monkey just pressing buttons without knowing what it's doing, so that is entirely my fault. Indeed, I am ready to go again
Old 08-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
My baby is up and running again
I am glad your mini has come back to life! This must have been a terrible weekend for you.

Quote:
I noticed that after a couple of times it hangs!
I am now trying to reproduce this. I am switching constantly between the main menu and the kobo reader in portrait and landscape mode, sometimes opening an epub, sometimes a kepub.epub. I have now switched over 50 times without any hang up. Do you think you did more switches before it hang up, or did you anything else? Starting and closing the koreader of course will lead to an hang up, but I think this is not what you were talking about.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #14
paola
Wizard

Quote:
I am now trying to reproduce this. I am switching constantly between the main menu and the kobo reader in portrait and landscape mode, sometimes opening an epub, sometimes a kepub.epub. I have now switched over 50 times without any hang up. Do you think you did more switches before it hang up, or did you anything else? Starting and closing the koreader of course will lead to an hang up, but I think this is not what you were talking about.
no I did not do much - as soon as I opened I changed the orientation, opened probably Kobo menu 1, went back with the x, then opened Kobo menu 2, and in one of these two I saw the portrait mode and opened a book, then wend back to home and clicked again to one of the two menus (can't remember which one), and at this stage when I pressed the X the Mini hanged.

I had to wait for a couple of minutes for the on/off switch on the Mini to be responsive, then I switched on, and all I did now was to try to replicate the landscape rotation, but now neither menu nor menu 2 gave it to me, and after the second menu (in whichever order I used them, as far as I can recall) it would hang when trying the X.

I did not try to launch koreader or anything else. Unfortunately I did not think of writing down all the steps in the order I took them. I am now testing to see my Mini is working properly, then I'd be glad to have another go and try and reproduce the problem.

I should also say that my problems (besides hanging) where not generated by the install process, but I suspect the uninstall was what did it for me: it is as if the Mini did not unpack the uninstall KoboRoot.tgz, or did not do so properly: it flashed for a few seconds, but then both the .tgz file and the directories for your hack were still there (and then I messed up all on my own). However now I know what I did wrong, namely I did expect the tgz to unpack on its own and did not follow your instructions (as I did not have them at the time: too impatient :-))
Quote:
If you want to uninstall the package, copy KoboRoot.tgz form the uninstall folder to .kobo, and select "install update" from the menu, then power the reader off and on.
So I'd say people are fine to try, would not want to discourage anyone because of my imporper attempts to use it.

Last edited by paola; 08-19-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
paola
Wizard

ok, so I have been playing around with this again and can report the following (for a Mini running on 2.6.1 firmware):
1. set rotation to 90 gives landscape mode (not 180)
2. calling "X" from kobo menu 2 hangs the reader (but I guess this is normal)
3. changing the sort order of books in "books" view in the library hangs the reader; calling the library "books" sometimes hangs the reader; one restart called the setup menu, at least it launched a choice of language and "meet your reader", but then the normal home menu appeared. Some of the functions of
4. on the mini, the landscape mode is not displayed correctly (some rows are only partially visible). However kepubs read beautifully, and so do footnotes. some screenshots are attached.

5. uninstalling: after the disconnection there was a quick reboot, and then the standard home screen appeared. Tried to browse the library, and the reader hung; soft reset, and then yyour menu reappeared. I "installed the update", the device restarted, and all seems to be working fine - however the "exit" png file does not disappear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	580
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	109785   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	537
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	109786   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	548