Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #31
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I dont know why, but IR doesn't like me. If I use a stylus, it seems to work better, but that's a pain. Capacative screens are better, but still ify for my touch, which is why I tend to avoid touch screens if I can. Half the time, my Droid Razr doesn't recognize that I'm doing anything to it.
From your stylus reference, it sounds like you're confusing IR and resistive touchscreens. Resistive requires you to press into the screen and devices with resistive screens often come with a stylus.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #32
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
From your stylus reference, it sounds like you're confusing IR and resistive touchscreens. Resistive requires you to press into the screen and devices with resistive screens often come with a stylus.
Sony IR touch (x50, T1, not sure about T2) come with a stylus.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #33
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
The other reason for 3G is if you not want to update your Kindle, than you can use the net without wi-fi.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #34
lifer109
lifer109 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard and now Nook HD+
Have KK, wife bought for me with 3G. Kind of novelty, I sideload about 95% and use email for remainder. I'm usually at home, so the 3G is worthless. I'll not buy another.... Save your money.
lifer109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #35
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I was on a business trip in Korea for 9 weeks earlier this year. The hotel had only wired internet, but I was able to get a 3g signal for my Kindle Keyboard 3g. The plant I where I was working also had a 3g signal for my Blackberry, but wasn't a place I wanted to take my Kindle if I wanted to keep it. So, I downloaded and installed the Kindle for Blackberry onto my phone. After that, I could read at the hotel and at the plant on separate devices without missing anything. It worked well enough to read the first three books of the Song of Ice and Fire series. Although, reading for extended periods of time on the tiny Blackberry screen is not a lot of fun.

The ability to sync across devices really made me glad I paid the extra for 3g.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #36
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I've heard that there are devices you can hang on your phone in order to get a non-3G kindle to have 3G access... or am I being confused (quite probable) and the thingie allows you to get kindle access to the phone's wifi access?

I'd use 3G very rarely, but there are a few times when it would come in handy, I suppose.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #37
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Yes, there are such devices called personal hotspots or MiFis. They basically connect to a 3G or 4G signal and then create a wireless access point for you to connect your wifi devices to. Another way for you to do this would be for your smartphone to act as a personal hotspot (aka: tethering), which a few other people in this thread have already mentioned that they do. It works basically like the the personal hotspot devices that I mentioned above, but it usually requires you to either pay your service provider a monthly fee or requires you to modify the smartphone's software.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #38
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
What I don't understand about 3G on the kindle so far: sometimes it costs money to have things delivered (haven't figured out yet when charges would occur) - does that also mean if I use cloud/archive over 3G that I have to pay for that? And in that case would the kindle ask if I want to do that? Otherwise the 3g sync be pretty stupid if it nickel-and-dimes you everytime you sync and need to download the document first. For non-amazon stuff - amazon books should always be free delivered.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 11-08-2012 at 03:26 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #39
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Use it or not. It is more than a novelty it is unique - world wide free 3G access!

Amazon have taken service to another level.

Which other device can do this!
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #40
nicepal
nicepal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
What I don't understand about 3G on the kindle so far: sometimes it costs money to have things delivered (haven't figured out yet when charges would occur) - does that also mean if I use cloud/archive over 3G that I have to pay for that? ...
What I understand from Amazon is,
Whispersync of books, purchase books, shop for books, download books from Cloud or view your Amazon setting are free with the 3G.

However, if you have subscriptions or "Send to Kindle" your personal Documents over 3G, will incur additional cost.
nicepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12345 View Post
Use it or not. It is more than a novelty it is unique - world wide free 3G access!

Amazon have taken service to another level.

Which other device can do this!
Nobody's disputing that it's a unique feature. The only question is whether it's worth paying an extra $60/£60 for. For me, it isn't, but for some people it may well be.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #42
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
With 3G I love the ability to finish one book, pop into amazon, and buy the next book on the spot. No matter where I am: hotel, restaurant, home. It's safe to say the 3G feature has cost me a darn sight more $60, given the ease with which I can purchase books.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #43
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Strange that nobody mentioned this yet: out of my cloud books I tried to download to my device, more than half could not be downloaded via 3G and I had to use Wifi for that. I am not sure what the file size limit is, but it's too bad they can't make an exception when it is their own books you are trying to download. I understand personal documents having to be limited, or browsing, but books should all be downloadable via 3G, or at least you should get a warning that if you purchase a specific book, you will need Wifi to download it.

My books are all rather hefty, with many of them having a map in the beginning of them (SciFi, Fantasy and Utopian).
I was upgraded to 3G because of my screen issues, so it's just too bad for me, but if I had paid extra for it, I would probably be livid about it.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Curious - I've had several 3G Kindles and never found a book which couldn't be downloaded via 3G.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #45
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Curious - I've had several 3G Kindles and never found a book which couldn't be downloaded via 3G.
Same, and I also read very large books with maps, etc., like the big fantasy doorstoppers. I use the 3G in various European countries besides my country of residence, as well.

Can't imagine what the problem could be.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote