Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #121
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
But the publisher considers $13.00 to be the actual price. They have no control on what B&N/Amazon will charge for the book.
Are you sure about that? I've read (on this forum I think) that these supposed price-cuts are actually sanctioned/given by the publisher, not the reseller - but only apply to the printed book.

Why should B&N/Amazon care if you buy the eBook or the pBook, as long as you buy.

--

[edit] I don't have a budget for books - I don't plan, I buy when my guts say "this looks good". So cheap books are going to get my money. That's why O'Reilly is currently getting money from me every so often. Half-price eBook of a topic that interests me? Sold!

To stay on topic: As has been said, taxes and price-cuts on pBook are a big problem. They let eBooks appear more expensive for no reason.

Last edited by Cyberman tM; 06-07-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #122
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have seen a concerted effort on the part of book publishers to raise book prices, something that I will not participate in. I guess to each his/her own if amaramadoll is willing to pay sky high prices for reading litterature thats fine. Personally I won't pay over $8 for a book electronic or printed no matter who wrote it. Don't care if its galenorn or butcher I simply will not pay more than $8 each for them and in many cases I will pay no more than $2, I am reading a lot of great authors under that $2 price limit from Amazon: Drew Berquist, David Wood, Daniel Leston and Rod Pennington. Much to my own dismay my favorite Andy Mc Dermott goes for $8, I would preferr not to pay the extra $6 and I may stop reading him for that reason. Its all about dollars and not paying that extra dollars.

Last edited by jbcohen; 06-07-2011 at 11:02 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #123
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander78 View Post
It seems that I have been shopping at the wrong sites. Where do I find the heavily discounted backlist titles that are going for $2 and up?
Backlist ebooks. I tend to buy them from Smashwords.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #124
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post

Hell, I've still not read all of the Nebula award winners, price all of them at $2 and I'll buy them tomorrow - of course I wont need to buy anything for the next 2 years. so some publisher somewhere is losing a ton of money from me.
If you can really resist buying another book for 2 years just because you have already bought 2 years worth of reading you are very much in a minority.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #125
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Well, thank you SO much, Elfwreck.

Now all the new releases for this year won't be bought or read because we'll all be too busy reading the backlist and thus will the sales get cannibalized.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #126
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Are you sure about that? I've read (on this forum I think) that these supposed price-cuts are actually sanctioned/given by the publisher, not the reseller - but only apply to the printed book.

Why should B&N/Amazon care if you buy the eBook or the pBook, as long as you buy.
Well, I'm not going to buy the $8.12 paperbook from B&N. If they had the ability to price the ebook at $8.12, I would have bought that.

I don't buy paperbacks anymore, I'm afraid, for a variety of personal reasons. I don't think I'm unique in that regard.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #127
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Thank you.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #128
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
One of the splits I detect here is due to people's reading habits. I don't think it follows that 100 ultra-cheap books are better than 10 expensive ones. If one is a voracious reading addict and a book is simply a notch up from a cereal packet as something to feed the addiction that may be so. The fact that I can buy 100s of books for next to nothing is irrelevant if the books I really want to read are very expensive.
You aren't alone in this observation. I find that sometimes voracious readers have much in common with voracious eaters.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #129
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
You aren't alone in this observation. I find that sometimes voracious readers have much in common with voracious eaters.
Commercial Voice-over: Do you feel bloated after a long book? Do you feel like you can't stop reading, no matter how full you feel?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #130
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
If you can really resist buying another book for 2 years just because you have already bought 2 years worth of reading you are very much in a minority.
Ah, well, yes, err maybe the odd book, but I am going to read them all and I must admit that my TBR pile is a bit on the large side.

Ok, my name is Mike and I'm a bookaholic it's been 1 month since my last purchase
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #131
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Haha, my To-Read list is over 1000 --- we need a poll about that! *zips off*
Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #132
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Amen. My backlog is huge, but that didn't stop me from picking up a small stack of ebooks from Amazon this morning.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #133
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Amen. My backlog is huge, but that didn't stop me from picking up a small stack of ebooks from Amazon this morning.

I added 9 books to calibre just this morning.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #134
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Well, thank you SO much, Elfwreck.

Now all the new releases for this year won't be bought or read because we'll all be too busy reading the backlist and thus will the sales get cannibalized.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

Cannibal books nom nom nom eatin up all da new book sales. Obviously have already devoured brains of major publishing executives.

How come we don't have a zombie smiley?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #135
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Ima in yur backlists, cannibalizin yur salez.

(We have a squirrel but no LOLcatz? )