Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
giddion
Connoisseur
giddion doesn't littergiddion doesn't litter

Device: samsung i910 now - cybook later
Knidle content sharing?

I have a Kindle question, might be more for those that own one. The family and I were talking last night, we're all avid readers, and we came to the conclusion that in an ideal world we would end up buying 3 of whatever ereader we purchase. Just would be fair for one person to get an ereader and no one else to and just one ereader would be a pain for us to share around.

We have enough problems fighting over a new release when it comes out to determine who gets to read it when (fortunately I usually win first read due to speed and the $$ that paid for the book in the first place) When Deathly Hallows came out we actually purchased 2 copies as the best way to prevent bloodshed.

So this comes to the question, if one amazon account were to purchase three Kindles would all three have access to the same purchased content? Would a book purchased once be available on all three or would a book have to purchased once for each Kindle? I read through the content on Amazon and I couldn't find the answer to this question.
giddion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddion View Post
So this comes to the question, if one amazon account were to purchase three Kindles would all three have access to the same purchased content?
Yes, Kindles on the same account (up to 6, I believe) can share ebooks.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Yup, you can link you're kindles to one Amazon account and share all the books you've purchased. Problem solved. No warrior paint required.
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I have two Kindles. One is backup.

When downloading books for the new Kindle, I went back to my Amazon media library, and clicked each one I had already bought.

I was asked........'for Kindle1 or 2."

Clicked "2".......easy peasy.

Now all my books, bought and otherwise, are on both Kindles.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 02-18-2009 at 07:45 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
There are 3 Kindles on my account. My sister, her daughter, and I share the one account. Since we read many of the same books, this is working out very well for us.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My husband and I got Kindles for each other for Christmas - we put them both on one account and named them so there's no confusion. When you one-click from Amazon you can pick "Send to Beth's Kindle" or "Send Russell's Kindle". We don't have too much overlap, but we can share anything we want. Free Range Chickens (which is free and hilarious) might be the only one we have both read. But it is really easy to do, and then if one of us likes something, the other can read it.

I'm trying to convince my mom to buy one; we have much more similar taste in books and would be able to share more.
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Nickfdr
Enthusiast
Nickfdr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
With kindle's can't you just transfer it via SD card
Nickfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickfdr View Post
With kindle's can't you just transfer it via SD card
Not if they are books from the Kindle store, the books are your Kindle can only be read on your Kindle because they are coded with your Kindle's PID.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That's good news, so I can share an account with my flatmate and share books? Great.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Knidle content sharing?
You know, I kinda like Knidle better than Kindle as a name for the device.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Yeah, it's pretty simple to download a copy for each Kindle on the account. Personally? I just remove the DRM from my downloaded e-books. Problem solved.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote